Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best trip report you have read?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not even close to a micro planner so I prefer and love the "slice of life-family adventure" reports. My all time favorite so far was NorCalif's inexperienced travelers report. I laughed, I cried-I couldn't wait for her to post.

My other favorites are:

TravelGirl's trip of a lifetime-waiting patiently(not) for her to come back online.

Dorkforcemom's May trip.

Maitaitom's blog-complete with photos in the report-loved that!

I found a thread from years ago from Barb that I started reading-it had about 600+ posts so I gave it up. That one was also a slice of life-don't travel with "friends" was her message!

Isabel posted beautiful pictures but, the all time best pictures-IMHO-were from SeaUrchin-she is just great at capturing the feeling of a place.

Not that I need any more reason to spend time on the site but I'd love to hear your opinions...
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM

I have enjoyed many great trip reports on this site. They take a lot of time and thought to write. I am still in the process of writing my own.

I would feel uncomfortable naming specific reports because it could unintentionally hurt the feelings of others by their exclusion, but that's just my opinion.

Generally speaking though, I like reports that include a mix of both practical information and personal experience.

BTW, all the reports you mentioned are posted on the Europe forum -- maybe that's where you intended to post your thread.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

It is where I intended to post! I reposted it over there. That's what I get for not checking the forum carefully!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM

For one reason or another, almost every Trip Report I have read on Fodors has been the best.
Elvira probably holds the Gold Medal for Trip Reporting, but every day there are brilliant reports posted.
No way am I going to start naming any..
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Is Barb's the one about the Italy trip with the casr of characters that sound llike a cross between AbFab and Golden Girls? Had about a gazillion responses? That's my all time fave for sheer reading fun, though anything by StCirq is always a winner, too.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:07 PM

So many fantastic trip reports along with some very gorgeous photos! I won't list my favorites because I know I would miss some and also I think each and every trip report has something to offer to us.

I have often said that I find the trip reports and travel photos here on Fodor's are so much more interesting then the travel articles in travel magazines. In fact I no longer subscribe to any travel magazines as I find them so boring compared to the trip reports here on Fodors. They are a true labor of love.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Seamus-yes that was the one. She started off saying it was not going to be your typical report. It was to be a cautionary tale of traveling with "divas"-self named. She ended up just getting blasted further along for being mean. I didn't read enough to have an opinion-but plenty of others were giving their thoughts. I wonder if that was the most commented on post ever?!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I love to read trip reports! There have been some outstanding ones posted here, but anything that Elvira posted was over the top, IMHO.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Regarding Elvira, she suddenly quit posting and those that shared emails with her no longer heard from her. I was involved in a conversation about Elvira with some Fodorites just a few weeks ago.

A suggestion. So often we email people and of course post here on Fodor's. But if something happens to us we suddenly "dissapear" which leaves a lot of people always wondering what happened.

I have told my daughter and SIL if something happens to me I want them to go on my computer and write an email to everyone in my email address book and also to post on Fodors. I don't want people years later wondering "what happened". I say that as when I have a relationship with people if they suddenly "dissapear" it really disturbs me. So just a thought, for what it is worth.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM

I am thankful that people take the time and trouble to post a trip report. Some are funnier or more informative than others, but that is not as important to me as the fact the poster took the time to share with us.

I'm always curious how our suggestions worked for someone, especially if it entailed a long thread. I know that it is difficult to take the time to do it after your trip is merely a wonderful memory, and you have settled back into your regular routine, or you are planning your next adventure.

Everyone together now .... I promise to post a trip report right after my next trip.

I sometimes have the tendancy to stop posting after I have returned from a trip, especially if another trip isn't on the horizon. I have so much fun here that I honestly don't understand why I take long breaks.

Nina
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:43 AM

The Griswolds….(certifiable Out-West Junkies)… get their 9th road trip *fix* in Yellowstone, Yosemite, central CA coast, Route 66, Utah and MUCH more

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34662501

Utahtea
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:31 AM

SharonG and the Trip Nazi.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM

I LOVE TRIP REPORTS!
Agree with all the above and also
most recently:

TRIP DIARY: Michael Mina Made Me Barf and Other Vegas Capers

IMO the people who post trip reports
are special travelin angels as this can
be a tough *audience*!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Easy question, my favorites are the ones I write...that way I can go back and relive the wonderful times at will.