Trip Report protocol?

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report protocol?

I have mostly seen long trip reports posted as separate posts, but a request on the South Island thread for adding on to one post caught my eye. Is it better to post part 1, 2, etc. separately or as an add-on to the original? With 30 days of a fabulous trip, and being long winded, I might have a lot of parts and would like to post in the most helpful way.
Sally in Seattle
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Hi Sally - my experience is mainly on the Europe and Asia boards and it seems most prefer one big posting than breaking it up into parts (although some break them up by country which makes sense with the filing system).........eagerly awaiting to hear about your shark encounter!
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Sally - I find it easier to follow one long post, unless as Elizabeth mentioned, more than one country is involved. One continuous post also enables readers to see all the comments and to jump to the sections they've not yet read.

If a reader wants to follow the comments on a multiple post trip report, they must find each thread separately, and as you know, threads sink to the bottom in a hurry.

For what it's worth, this board is much slower than the Europe and Asia boards, so it probably doesn't make that much difference in the long run.

I'm enjoying your trip report by the way.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't see your reply before posting #3. I added the towns we went to to the title so people could read or not read as they were interested. I think this board is pretty busy, but nothing compared to the US, either, so I am pretty confident that the posts will hang around for a bit. Do you think I should now add on to the first one or continue on as I have been doing?

S in S
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Suggest you continue on as you're doing.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Jed

Posting as separate threads make it hard to follow one trip report in a coherent manner.

My feeling is that a trip report can be broken into parts, but should be posted on one thread, even if they are not all posted at the same time.

Leaving space between parts makes it even easier to read and encourages reaponses as you go along with your report.