Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How 'bout a TRIP REPORT to FOLLOW-UP your requests?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:56 AM
r-travels

Every so often we read a long thread here when someone requests help for their trip. It would be so nice if more people would follow up after their trip by posting. Often people are never heard from again.

I always want to know if something has changed, where my advice is no longer accurate, and I want to hear about some new things that I've not discovered. So come on folks, SHARE, would you! Give us the good, bad, and the ugly.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 08:21 AM
travellyn

I also enjoy getting feedback after the trip.

I would caution anyone making a trip report to create the report using a word processing program, then paste to this site.

I wrote out 2 trip reports that were too long and they just disappeared when I tried to post them. If I'd had the sense to paste from Microsoft Word, I would have gone back and reposted. As it was, I was so disgusted that I didn't rewrite the reports.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 08:27 AM
xx

I'm afraid of everyone on this site, it seems like people are getting ruder. I almost don't want to ruin my memories by having people attack them.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

I have written trip reports each time I have gone away. I post the recommended paces I've been, etc. They usually disappear with nary a response. And the responses I have gotten had nothing to do with the trip report.
Sould I continue to post anyway?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:12 AM
r-travels

"xx", I can understand your point of view. Yes, things can get brutal in here.

and "xxx", maybe the posts "get old", and drop down the list, but are they actually being deleted from the system? I, for one, would wish to read them, especially if I'd made some suggestions before. I wish you "xxx" and "abc" folks would come up with a more consistent "nom d'plume" when you post, so readers could at least see some continuity of your posts. I appreciate that you don't wish to give your real eddress out, I don't either, but there are so many "x", "xxx", etc., that once can hardly know if any of them are the same person or not. I'm sure you can follow mine. (there is no X in my REAL eddress)

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:17 AM
x

I agree with xxx. I have written trip reports for long vacations and weekend jaunts to places that are commonly cited here. I never receive any response or additional questions. I feel like it's a waste of time since there doesn't seem to be any interest in the information.

I also agree with xx that if you mention something that others don't agree with the flaming can be brutal.

Having said that, I do like to read trip reports from others who go to places I've been or to places I'd like to go. So I'm going to keep writing my trip reports and am hoping others will too!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:22 AM
It's

Considering how nasty people have been of late, I'm surprised anyone would write a trip report. Comments like "You stayed at that expensive hotel, why would you waste money on that?" or, "What do you do for a living?" to "I doubt if you even stayed there or ate there, I bet you're just making it up, you don't travel anywhere" are just examples of some of the responses I've seen to trip reports lately.

It's too bad that posters have to be so intimidated by these bullies that they are afraid to post a report.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Reader

Keep posting them. I would guess that thousand of us read the reports and don't respond. Plus they become part of the archives. I may not be going to Chicago/Seattle/New Orleans this week, but when I do, I know that the trip summaries will be there for me! Thansk to all who take the time to do it!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Dick

I too endorse the posting following a trip. And, the inquiries to my posting resulted in my "reliving" the trip as I answered questions either here on this board or via email.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:43 AM
xxx

This board is no longer welcoming to trip reports, just look at some recent replies to posts! Unfortunately too many anonymous jerks have dominated the board with sarcasm and hostility.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Privacy

As long as your name isn't nina, you should post a report. Some people on this site get hammered by idiots, so I don't blame anyone who does not post a report or use their name.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Faina

r-travels, my reports got deleted twice. I wonder why I will travel, but I doubt I'll ever post another report.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:14 PM
r-travels

Faina - I think sometimes the posts just seem to get lost from the indexing mechanism for a few days. I've had times that I searched for something I *KNEW* had been posted, finding nothing, yet it popped up a few days later. Unfortunately, I think the editors, sometimes being a little lazy, will just delete an entire thread when a couple of off-color posts have been made, rather than just deleting the posts ... and of course there's the times when a topic takes on a whole new discussion ... like when someone mentions t-i-p-s (hypenated to prevent searches from finding this thread). (there is no X in my REAL eddress)

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:22 PM
travellyn

I also think that initial posts that are too long get erased. That's why people post a report in several parts by replying to themselves.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:11 PM
joan

r-travels, I couldn't agree with you more about posting as "x". Even in this very thread, there are replies to "x", "xx" and "xxx". It would be much easier if people would use (consistent) fake names.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:46 PM
George

Here's another vote for posting trip reports. On occasion, if it's an exceptional report, I'll offer thanks--even if I'm not planning to go there in the near future.

I do know that reports that are too long disappear into the ether. But split 'em up into smaller sizes, and post as follow-ups. I believe it's just the software rejecting posts that are longer than a preset size.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:37 PM
GeeGirl

OK, OK. I have also been very hesitant posting my trip report because of some of the recent nastiness. Especially since I visited a city which seems to have a resident hater or two on this forum.

I have, however, posted our November San Francisco report on my own site and welcome anyone who is interested to visit and read it. I am still working on the photo gallery and the home page has some missing links (and reports). But HEY, this is my free time! (I need another vacation.)

www.ourtraveljournal.com

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:39 PM
GeeGirl

Well, it happened. I posted my trip report and now some idiot is ranting that I work for the SF visitors' board.

Grr. I honestly do not have enough time during my day to create some elaborate scheme to make people believe something that isn't true.

Maybe I just need to get a sense of humor.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 08:55 AM
jam-man

Don't overlook the fact that you can post a brief review of a property or restaurant in the Rants and Raves section. Since there is also a rating component, you can learn some good info about a hotel or restaurant very quickly there.
And consider this a vote in favor of trip reports, also. Both on an ad hoc basis by people who may not have posted before, and most especially by people who have asked for input from other posters.
I agree with r-travels. Give me feedback and let me know if what I remembered is still true.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Dave

Bravo to r-travels. A trip report, a short follow-up on the actual question, or a thank-you would be appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -