What exactly is a "car service"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From someone who lives where you CAN'T get a taxi by standing on the street corner ... what exactly is meant by the term "car service", as opposed to a taxi? Does the term "car" refer to a limo?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:32 PM
emd

It can mean a limo- but then that depends on what you call a limo. It can mean a Town Car, or it can mean (in the case of Boston Coach's try a few years ago, they've abandoned it now I think) a Volvo sedan. It is basically a private service that you call and they pick you up in the airport with a sign w/your name on it, or they pick you up at your place of business or wherever and transport you. No hailing a taxi, no hassle, and you get there quietly, in comfort and style and w/good service. I used to work for a firm that would pay for a car service whenever I traveled (which was very often- about 60-70% of the time). I used it sometimes, but then stopped and started using taxis. That is, until I had an very unfortunate and unsafe incident in NY w/a taxi driver (going into a bad neighborhood to do whatever he needed to do at the time- way out of the way from where I needed to go and very scary), which I felt could have left my kids without a mother. Ever since then, I have used the car service when I travel for work, esp. at night. It costs about twice the cost of a cab.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM

When in Paris , we always got a Mercedes , in NYC, a Lincoln Town Car. But in London, the flat rental company sent the two of us a stretch Volvo limo! Blacked out windows and all LOL
I highly recommend using car services everywhere
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Can anyone recommend a good car service in Chicago to go from O'Hare to downtown?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Speaking of stretch limos, we had an interesting experience this past March in Vancouver. My sweetie was on concert tour with his choir and I went along (as the somewhat aging but occasionally helpful roadie). The plan was to take taxis to our hotel. Since Sweetie and I were ready at the same time as the conductor and the choir manager, they suggested we share their "cab" - which turned out to be a huge white stretch limo. The driver was given the name of the hotel, and eventually we ended up in front of what looked like an office building of some kind. We all obediently disembarked - in the pouring rain, of course, since this was Vancouver. After a few minutes of looking around it became clear that this was NOT the place we were looking for. I told the driver this and he got quite defensive. "That's the address the office gave me!" he insisted. Eventually the choir manager found something with the hotel letterhead on it - it turned out we were a good half mile from our destination. Sweetie and I walked, although we graciously allowed the limo to carry our luggage. So much for luxury! The rest of the choir had taken normal taxi cabs and had arrived half an hour ahead of us.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:53 PM

What I love about car services is that they are waiting for you when you get to baggage claim and you don't have to get in a stinky taxi (some of them definitely can have a distinct smell to them).

But the car is not a limo but usually a lincoln town car. It doesn't cost that much more than a cab either so it is worth it.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:33 PM

In NYC, the rules for a taxi versus a car service are well defined. Here is a link:http://www.schallerconsult.com/taxi/newfb/defin.htm.

In NY, a car service can not pick you up if you signal them from the street, a taxi can. You call to arrange for a carservice and set a rate in advance, while a taxicab ride cannot be prearranged (in NY) and a meter runs after your picked up that determines the total cost-if your driver takes a longerroute than necessary he/she may get more $).

I drive a large taxi-sized car and am frequently mistaken for a "gypsy" cab, when driving through NYC, which is a car that is not yellow, has no medallion, but illegally picks people up off the street for unmetered fares.