Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what beach should my friends and I visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the spring a group of 4 friends and myself want to go to a California beach. None of us have ever been to CA before, and a few of us have never even been to a beach. We are between the ages of 22-27 and want to stay somewhere where there are lots of things to do, but it's not to expensive. Are there any beaches that have campsites or cabins we could rent to stay in? I've looked into Huntington and Newport beach so far, but neither of those seem right for us.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 03:37 AM

If I were a twenty-something college student going to a California beach for the first time, my first choice would be the LA area, either Venice Beach or Santa Monica. They are the "typical" beaches you see in the movies and on TV, and are very popular and fun to hang out at. I also really like Laguna Beach, which is in Orange County, about an hour south of LA. It's pricey, but beautiful, and lots to do there.

The problem, as I'm sure you have discovered, is that the popular beach areas are not cheap, and the cheaper beach areas tend not to be as popular. Have you considered staying in a hostel? Here's a link to the Venice Beach Hostel. I have not stayed there, so cannot personally recommend it. http://goo.gl/bEjpLB

There's also Surf City Hostel in Hermosa Beach: http://goo.gl/ngazvl

San Diego, which is where I live, also has some nice beaches. A popular area for young people is Mission Beach/Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach has the distinction of having the most bars per square mile of any area in the city. Not sure if that's an inducement or not! http://www.sandiego.org/what-to-do/b...ion-beach.aspx

There's also Santa Cruz, home to UC Santa Cruz, once considered one of the top party schools in the country, but that rep seems to have waned in the last several years. http://www.santacruz.org/

There are so many beaches in southern California to choose from, each with its own vibe. (Santa Cruz is not southern California). Some are a bit funkier than others, some cater more to families, some have great surfing, and some are more upscale. Have a wonderful trip, whichever you choose!
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 04:20 AM

Pacific Beach/Mission Beach are fun areas for the young college crowd. I wouldn't recommend camping on the beach although there are places in the North County Coastal areaa of San Diego where you can do that in a camper.

I love the beaches in La Jolla and Coronado because they are clean, well guarded, and safe. But, you don't have to stay in those more expensive areas - you can take public transportation. You can rent nice places in Pacific Beach on or near the beach.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Thought I would check reviews for Venice Beach Hostel-- pretty iffy. Great location, but very mixed reviews otherwise. See tripadvisor: http://goo.gl/GHTk7y
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Look on vrbo for a rental. Split between 5 people should be pretty inexpensive.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM

I would also be careful about some of the beach area hostels. The one here in San Diego was pretty bad and had a pretty iffy group of people.

There are many hotels both in the Mission Valley area (you'd need to rent a car) and in the Pacific Beach area that have very reasonably priced rooms - especially if you are traveling in the off season. Our best beach weather is generally not in the summer!! I love our weather in Jan - early May. And again Sept - Dec.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Not sure I'd stay in Venice Beach, lots of medical marijuana Drs. and paraphernia shops now. Hermosa Beach is a good option, lots of bars and restaurants, and the crowd skews young.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
ltt

with "not to expensive"...hard to give you suggestions. is that $200/night or??? low end on the beach would be surfer beach hotel on pacific beach, san diego or look at capri by the sea. for camping...you'd need to bring all your gear which could be a pain...south carlsbad state campground, san elijo state campground...there are others...do a search on "southern california beach camping". it's not on the beach but the hostel in downtown san diego get's good reviews. do your research on hostels...some are notorious for bed bugs and a real non-stop party atmosphere.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 09:37 PM

Pacific Beach would be a good fit. Everything's walking distance, there are tons of bars, but not many clubs. Everything is more casual. The clubs in pacific beach are going to be Johnny V's, Typhoon Saloon, and Bar West.

If you do choose to come to Pacific Beach, be aware that some places DO NOT ACCEPT OUT OF STATE ID's, so you'll need your passport.

There's an ocean front Hostel called Banana Bungalow on Reed Street that seems to be very popular. Otherwise, you might be able to find inexpensive places through AirBnB.

If you want to go the hotel/motel route, there's Sands of La Jolla in Bird Rock which is a 10 minute bike ride or a $5 cab ride into pacific beach. Their rates range from $69-$109 per night for low-season. There's also Mission Bay Motel. I've never seen the inside of that place, so unsure what it's like, but I had a guest stay there and it seemed to be fine.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 09:40 PM

There is beach camping in San Diego County: San Elijo & Carlsbad State Beach. Both locations are very popular. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=662
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=660
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Spring has great beach weather in Spring, especially if you are a German Shepherd, a Pelican or enjoy long walks on an empty beach wearing a sweater. Even the surfers arent crazy about the 2 ft choppy spring swells, but it beats working and is cheaper than golf. Kidding aside, even a clear 75 degree day will be cool on the beach with a onshore wind off a 55 degree ocean.

How about Florida, Mexico or even Palm Springs?

If you have your heart set on a CA beach, Id take Newport Peninsula or Pacific Beach with bike rentals
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be nice to know the OP's timeframe on this
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops, sorry..just saw "in the Spring"...is that early, or middle, or late Spring?????
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP hasn't been back (first and only post so far) so we are sort of shooting in the dark here.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM

Maybe she got tired of listening to us!! Or maybe she & her friends decided not to go.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM

For camping near a nice beach, Pismo Beach and Pismo Beach state campground (Oceano) are a good choice. It's a beautiful beach (you can drive on it if that's your thing), lots of sand dollars to collect, and the campsites are off the beach (so not sandy) but a six minute walk through the dunes to get there.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 03:10 PM

visit Venice Beach, but do not stay there. Santa Monica is ok, but full of homeless.