Favorite California Beach

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:11 AM
ginny

Favorite California Beach

I was looking to make a trip to California next spring and was wanting to spend at least a couple of days at the beach. I know that some like the more natrual beauty where others may enjoy the more touristy beach and still others one somewhere inbetween, What's your favorite, and why?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
Beach Bum

The Red, White and Blue beach just north of Santa Cruz. It's about as "natural" as you can get!

BB

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:07 AM
CAgal

Somehow, BB, I don't think that's what Ginny had in mind! Ginny, RWB beach is a nude beach. If that's what you're looking for, go for it. If not, be forwarned.

If you could tell us what part of CA you will be visiting, you'll probably get more replies. Are you looking for natural beauty, touristy sites or inbetween?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:18 AM
ginny

I will be flying into San Diego and driving up to the San Francisco area. I'm not interested in nude beaches, just a beach that is scenic, but not remote (partly touristy).

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:29 AM
sightseer

Laguna Beach is probably what you're looking for in a beach town. It's in Orange County, around an hour north of San Diego. Nice beach, but also a touristy town, with art galleries & good restaurants. Las Brisas and Splashes at the Surf & Sand are both great restaurants for scenic dining.

Santa Barbara is also a great beach community. While Moonstone Beach in Cambria isn't really a good beach for sunbathing, the beach area is pretty for walking around. And the town of Cambria is a nice area to wander around for shopping and eating before heading up to Hearst Castle. And of course, Big Sur definitely fits your needs for a very scenic ocean view.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:10 PM
Beach Bum

Hey, CAgal,

The RWB is clothing optional, not "nude". Do what you want and nobody cares.

Secondly, it is a georgeous beach to walk. It really is. Lots of beach, rock formations, etc.

By the way, I have been to many State beaches that had nude people sitting there. No big deal. In Europe, it is the norm.

BB

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Francophile

No, in Europe topless is common, it's not the norm overall.
Nude bathing is not common at all.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:52 PM
John

(Having grown up there) I think the beaches along the South Bay seafront, from N. Redondo through Hermosa, Manhattan, and El Porto are just right - they are wide and generally clean, good surf, and have adequate facilities. Unlike some other beaches in the LA area (much of Malibu, Venice etc.) they are used mainly by locals, which means there's seldom a crowd (and they're so big you can be by yourself with little effort) and the streets facing them are residential and neighborly. They are not "scenic" in the sense of rocks and cliffs, and they are distinctly urban, but I think they're great. Walk along the beach by the Manhattan pier, then walk out the pier and see what I mean. Have the Beach Boys on the car stereo or the Walkman.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
Steve

We did the trip the other way around, from San Fran to San Diego and stopped off at a few great beaches along the way. For example, Carmel, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica (touristy), Laguna Beach, La Jolla and a few small ones with names I can't recall. We liked Leadbetter Beach in Santa Barbara and La Jolla in San Diego the best. We also saw dolphins very close to the shore in Carmel which was really special.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:15 PM
JJ

Pfiefer Beach... beautiful, pristine, and uncrowded with lovely rock formations... it's in Big Sur.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:03 PM
Mina

Another vote for Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo. I grew up in Manhattan, and sitting on the beach, on an cool spring afternoon when the beach is practically empty is still one of my favorite things to do.

The sand is softer in Hermosa and Manhattan than Redondo. Redondo seems to be the most touristed of the 3, and even then, it's not crowded with tourists. These beaches, as John said, have long been touted as a local's beach.

Go to Hermosa Pier for a pedestrian area of restaurants/bars. You can toss down a pint while watching the sun set from the patio at Hennessey's. I also enjoy eating at Sangria for dinner.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
J Correa

I second the nomination for Pfiefer Beach. Big Sur is one of the most beautiful places anywhere.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
LA

Not under 25 and not one of the "beautiful" people? - you may feel out of place at the South Bay beaches. Hermosa, Redondo & Manhattan are party spots. If you enjoy casual party spots, Hennessey's is a big pull. Total meat market in the South Bay area.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
Mina

LA, your post made me chuckle. The South Bay beaches definitely gets it share of partiers, and yes...most of them seem like they're decent looking.

However, if you like to party, I'd rather do it here in the South Bay. Because of the beach atmosphere, everyone seems more laid back. On a night "on the town" you'll see plenty of people decked out in jeans and a nice top...the L.A. crowd seems more dressed to impress (being a casual gal myself, I'm not into total "hooch gear"). Accidentally bump into a girl at a bar L.A., you're more apt to get a cool stare than in the South Bay, where they're more like "Oh, I'm sorry! Don't worry about it."

These are gross generalizations, I know. But they're just my opinions from observation. Any place that's considered "nightlife" is usually some type of meat market.

That being said, you certainly don't have to be beautiful to enjoy the SB beaches. No one cares what you look like if you want to stroll the strand and stop for a bite to eat. Just come and enjoy...and who cares what others look like, or what you look like!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Katie

I used to live in the South Bay - Hermosa to be exact. When I turned 30 I realized that I was the old broad on the block and that it was time to get out of the young party zone. Fun for the youthful, but not the best family beach area.