Reload this Page >

Outraged at OneTravel.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:31 AM
Danna

Input my rental car needs at One Travel and then clicked on the least expensive of the choices they presented (Hertz-intermediate-$35-200 mi/day limit) Entered all my personnal info, including cc and clicked on "BUY". Confirmation came back at $62 !!

Website makes you click that you understand you may be subject to cancelation charges from the rental company before they will let you cancel.

My irate e-mail to one travel resulted in a (prompt) reply that all they do is let the rental car companies post their info and confirm whatever they have available. BS as far as I'm concerned. Then they told me I should call Hertz directly to cancel "just to make sure they don't charge me". I'm not calling anybody, this is One Travel's problem, IMO. I'll dispute the charge on my cc if it happens.

Anyone else had this experience online?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:40 AM
xx

You want to solve your problem?...then do as they say and call Hertz and cancel.

You want go into a "rage"?...do nothing and then fight with your credit card company that you "no-showed" for your reservation.

Next time book direct with Herts or Avis.

PS. IT's possible you were quoted the daily rate BEFORE taxes, airport fees, etc were added on.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:43 AM
Gretchen

Many of the sites will quote the day price but not taxes and other charges for the pickup point. I think yours is certainly excessive for that addition. I price on Orbitz, for example, get the lowest number, then go to Hotwire and price it there (without buying). They give a total price WITH all extras so I can calculate back for the approximate price of add-ons. Then I go to Priceline and try a bid.
As for yours, I would try one more time to cancel through onetravel.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:46 AM
xxx

Yes, please cancel. Otherwise you're keeping someone else from renting a car you have no intention of using.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:10 AM
Danna

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify - it is definately NOT taxes, etc. causing the increase. The $62 rate clearly states that it is also before taxes.

And yes, I did cancel through OneTravel.

And yes, I am refusing to call Hertz out of petulance!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
xx

get a life. appreciate the post warning about One Travel, but the time you've spent defending could have been spent making a 30 second phone call to cancel.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:32 AM
X

Same type of person who is "outraged" because the harried desk clerk at some hotel in California wouldn't spend 30 minutes answering questions about her AAA discount.

Sometimes you live and you learn and get over it. This is one of those times.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM
C

Petulance.

"I'll dispute with my credit card."

Irate e-mail.

Outraged.

Danna, you're kind of bitchy this morning, aren't you. I wish I had a dollar for every time a REPUTABLE website (marriott.com, for instance, this morning) offered a rate other than the one I clicked. Sometimes rates aren't "real time" and the availability can (and will) change.

Sit back and chill, Danna! It's not a big deal.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Danna

C: If you think i'm bitchy this am, you should have seen me Fri when this happened <grin>

Guess I've just been lucky with internet travel sites in the past. I'm going to take xx's friendly advice and handle car res. over the phone from now on.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:21 AM
c

Good attitude, Danna! Life's too short to get stressed over inevitable travel-related hassles!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
rental

Well, Danna, I'll be a voice in the wilderness, I guess: Tahnks for the heads-up about OneTravel!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
anothercase

I just don't get these people who think you are being "bitchy" when you expect good service from companies. Danna chose $35 a day, she should NOT have gotten a $62 rate.

Yes, I suppose she could go through the effort to cancel, but she shouldn't have to. The website is misleading and didn't give her what she asked for.

Are the people who think consumers should quietly accept lousy customer service just used to it, or are they too young to remember a time when good service was the norm, to be accepted, and offered with a smile?

When I did work in a customer service industry many years ago the company motto was "The customer is ALWAYS right, and you bend over backwards to satisfy them". It was not "Well, you had a bad day so if you feel like hanging up on a customer because they are tiresome, asking too many questions or didn't make a reservation, go right ahead."

What's happening to customer service these days? And people wonder why so many businesses fail.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:23 PM
Carla

Perhaps "bitchy" is not the right word. Melodramatic ("outraged"...please!) may be more correct. No one is expecting her to tolerate bad service. However, it's somewhat silly to waste one's time complaining often and loudly about a $25 price difference that, to our knowledge, was never even charged to a credit card. If she wants to complain, more power to her. However, it seems very MINOR to most of us!