Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are there any beach resort towns that compare to Myrtle Beach or better??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you really can't compare, but what we are looking for is a beach resort town like Myrtle Beach, with plenty of activities/sightseeing, nightlife, entertainment, amusements etc. Thanks for any suggestions...
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:01 PM

With golf too? Hilton Head is the only other I can think of in the same region. What areas are you willing to travel to?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Anywhere in the USA is fine...We are from Philly, so flying is not a problem.. We flew to Myrtle Beach last year, and it was the best....

Other than Disneyland, what about California...We are looking for someplace different, but with plenty to do...
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Louise, good question, but can you describe Myrtle Beach in more detail so those of us who have never been there can get a better picture of what it is like?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:04 PM

California? Disneyland isn't even near the shore, so Anaheim won't compare to Myrtle Beach. But how about San Diego? Or Laguna Beach, or Newport Beach, or Huntington Beach, all with great gobs of activities, nightlife, shopping, cultural attractions, etc. AND with several amusement parks nearby (not just Disneyland)? Or heading up to Santa Monica? Malibu? Santa Barbara?

I think the best CA beach towns outclass Myrtle Beach quite handily, thank you very much. Definitely worth a try.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM

As a longtime beach goer I would say ANYwhere but Myrtle. However, you don't have to go far from Myrtle to have a great time. Go just a bit south to Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort. And rather than Hilton Head if you want to be near Charleston go to Wild Dunes.
MB is a sprawling traffic choked "place".
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Just got back from Hilton Head and really liked it. It is quieter than Myrtle, perhaps, but still plenty of restaurants, etc. It is also within striking distance of either Charleston or Savannah for a day trip. The beaches were nice, the accommodations great, the golf so-so (late in the season), almost no crowds and not ticky-tacky like Myrtle.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:02 AM

Those CA spots may "outclass" MB, but you can't swim in those CA beaches, too cold. That's the one BIG difference you might consider if you actually like to swim! Hilton Head from what I hear from friends, and Charlston (which DH travels to frequently)are very nice locations but they too have become popular destinations, although IMHO still not quite as crowded as MB and worth checking out.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:03 AM

The closest to MB I can think of would be Panama City Beach or maybe Daytona Beach. PCB has the same busy tourist infrastructure plus the white sand and clear water of the Gulf.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:16 AM
GoTravel

There really isn't a place as diverse as Myrtle Beach with the beaches, entertainment, and golf. It is such a diverse place.

You have really nice places such as Pawleys and Litchfield which are 25 miles south of Myrtle Beach and very nice beaches north closer to the North Carolina boarder.

While you can find golf in Charleston and Hilton Head, or many of the Florida Beaches, you will not find it as economic or as many courses (around 120 courses on The Grand Strand). We play often on the south end (Caladonia, TPC, True Blue, Heritage) and excellent golf during peak season is never over $125. I cannot say the same for Kiawah, Hilton Head, or Wild Dunes. Off season, golf is even less.

For kids, there are so many water parks, amusement parks, putt putt golf places, attractions like Ripleys Aquarium, Alligator Adventure, NASCAR Speed Park, Wild Water & Wheels, Myrtle Waves, Midevil Times Dinner Theater, Dixie Stampede, etc.

For adults looking for something off the beaten path there are a few vinyards such as B'ell Amie Vinyards, there is the wonderous Brookgreen Gardens, Atalaya Castle, Carolina Opry, Alabama Theater, House of Blues, etc.

I could go on but as bad as a rap as Myrtle Beach gets, it really has a lot going on.

Count me in as one who used to make fun of MB and not venture north of Pawleys Island but a week long venture into MB during Bike Week changed my mind.

I think Myrtle Beach is wonderful for what it is. A great, reasonably priced family vacation destination. For those of you who haven't been there in years, don't knock it until you've seen it lately.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Well said, GoTravel! IMO Hilton head is awesome and upscale and we've been several times, but myrtle beach has much more for kids and the whole family. Plus you're not land locked making it easier to venture out on day trips.

And quite frankly, when on vacation the very last thing i want is to be reminded of my corporate life; there is a wall street journal dispenser on nearly EVERY corner in hilton head!

Brian in charlotte - i agree regarding panama city and daytona, except the former doesn't offer the wild waves that so many of us love to ride. Altho we loved the powdered sugar sand and upscale Destin over spring break, we missed the wild surf of the atlantic side.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:56 AM

seetheworld: Yeah, the water's cooler on CA beaches (we're on the northern Pacific), but it IS swimmable. And add a wetsuit and you can surf all day! And once you're cleaned up, there's still beaucoup to do...!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:04 AM

This may be a good suggestion but hard to compare, but how about a summer vacation along the coast of Maine. The York area all the way to Portland offers all sorts of restaurants, nightlife, great beaches, golfing, amusement rides in Old Orchard Beach. We've been to Myrtle Beach and live in New England.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:27 AM

rjw: Of course it's swimmable (for the brave and the bold w/o wet suits!), stayed in Newport Beach myself - spectacular views and CA is terrrrific, just very different from MB. Don't forget people from the northeast, in order to avoid the 65/68 water temps that the NY shores offer (which are warmer than CA waters), trek down south in large masses just to enjoy the warmer waters of the southern beaches. You can find beautiful resorts in CA that offer fabulous pools if swimming is your thing and wet suits are not!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
SoBeTraveller

Any reason why MB is the place for comparison? Why not simply go to MB? It's a place so unique comparisons are difficult, if not impossible.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM

The OP has been to MB, wants to find a beach resort that is "like" MB.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM

I know this will sound a bit strange, but have you considered Key West?

My wife & I were long-time vacationers to Myrtle Beach before moving here three years ago. So we know the area pretty well and have seen approximately 25 years of changes.

Key West, to us, had a very festive (party) atmosphere similar to Myrtle Beach. And while there are few true beaches, it definitely has a beachy feel. Finally, for a relatively small place, there is lots to do.

Wherever you go, have a great time!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:15 AM

The West Coast of florida has fantastic beaches

So does california, Newport beach, laguna - all those are great

Monterry bay is great also (santa cruz, carmel)

if you are going in the summer why not the hamptons ??? those beaches are awesome !!

If you want the ultimate beach resort experiance then your only choice is Hawaii. I have been to beaches all over the world and hawaii tops my list.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:11 PM

The beaches on the northern panhandle!!! Beautiful clear water, and powder white beaches. Destin, Sandestin, Grayton, etc.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
GoTravel

Keep in mind the OP is the same poster who tried to stir up controversy last summer. They posted on multiple travel boards that MB was racist or some other such BS having to do with the confederate flag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -