What a rain we had in San Francisco!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fortunately the rain only broke with a fury after Cal's stunning loss to Stanford yesterday evening, so we were relatively dry DURING the actual game.

Getting back over the Oakland bridge to our lodgings at Chestnut & Steiner in SF was another story for us Los Angeleans, who don't see much of this funny thing called "rain" and less likely to see the entire sky awash in static light shows.

In fact, the last time I was caught in a thunder and lightening shower with not even the fast speed setting on the windshield wiper helping a bit was a mid-summer road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle.

It was scary, but really a very neat sight to see, slowly plowing our rental through massive puddles on the freeway, inching our way over the Oakland bridge as light broke all around us.

We were able to snag an earlier table at Bistro Aix around the corner from our hotel, so could drown our sorrows over a decent chianti and French comfort food.

Now, to see about checking out Part Deux of the Musee D'Orsay collection at the De Young before heading back to L.A.!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have it now in the UT Wasatch mtns as snow! Kind of on the wet side, but hey, that packs down very well makes a good base.

I just finished shoveling a foot out of the driveway and it looks like I'll have to do it again this evening.

Ski season is off to a great start!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM

>>

There was nothing stunning about it
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM

Hope you enjoyed the D'Orsay, Part Deux!

We were just there yesterday and I really enjoyed the way the exhibit was set up, although for me it was necessary to stop at Gauguin. There was just too much to absorb.

Believe it or not, lightening storms are very, very rare even for us non-Angeleans!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Woke up this morning to learn the towers on Bay Bridge were struck with lightning as we crossed it Saturday night.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/weather/st...109687444.html

There's even videos showing it! I don't know if there's any truth to the rumor that one should turn off the radio when there's lightning, but we did just in case it wasn't an old wives' tale.

Well, Part Deux was sold out when we got to the De Young. Even members who didn't get advance tickets were out of luck. Rats! But we'll be back in January, with any luck before the exhibition closes.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:35 AM

That was quite a lightening show for you, Surfergirl.

Before you revisit in January, go on-line to the DeYoung Museum website to look at ticket availability. It is a very user friendly site. You can see what day and times are available and pay for your tickets on-line and then pick them up at will call or print them out yourself. I'm off work this week and thought I could easily order two member tickets, but alas, this week is booked solid for members. Secured tickets for Dec. 27th though.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM

You know Costco has discount tickets?
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM

Yes, it was a strong storm, luckily it was short. For once, I am glad our older son had decided against driving over the bridge to see us!

Surfergirl, there are several good exhibits on now - or are you back home? Asian art museum - we loved the 400 years old screens! Also Jewish and Legion have interesting exhibits. Somebody told me SFMOMA has a photo exhibit worth visiting.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Janeyre, yes, that's how I booked for Part 1, and I was going to book for Part 2 but didn't because I wasn't sure if we'd be hanging around SF Sunday or heading back to Berkeley early and drop our son off.

So we only had a window of opportunity of a few hours before dropping off son and catching our flight home.

I did check the schedule and the exhibition sadly ends less than a week before we return to SF, darn.

Will probably check out SFMOMA at the end of January, unless De Young is nice and extends the exhibit!

SF -- no, I didn't know that! I assume the Costco in SF area only?
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM

Surfergirl, I don't know -- we found them by surprise at the Foster City Costco and bought them -- they're vouchers, you still have to make a reservation for a particular time.