Whale Watching "North of Boston" -QUESTION

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went whale watching in Vancouver I went on a 12 passenger open vessel. We had to wear suits over our clothes... It was the most incredible experience of my life. It seemed like the whales were right next to us! We also spent at least 3 hours on the water. (It might have been more)

When I went to Boston, I went on the whale watch with the Aquarium. 200+ people all toppling over each other in the corners of the big boat to see a little whale fin that looked like it was half a mile away! It was more of a harbor cruise than a whale watch (especially because by the time we got out to see the whales, it was time to turn back) I was very disappointed!!

When I go back next year, I was thinking of staying a night at one of the towns "north of Boston" - Cape Anne?) Is there any whale watching like what I experienced in Vancouver, or are they all the big boats?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 12:32 PM

I've only ever seen the larger boats go out. I've never heard of a similar experience out of Boston/Cape Ann/cape Cod as you had in vancouver. If you really love the experience, perhaps a trip out of Provincetown might be better.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM

The type of close-up viewing you describe (the proximity, not the fact that you were in a small boat) would likely be illegal under the U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act. I'm not as familiar with the Canadian regulations, but it may well be illegal there also, and certainly is not recommended. Here's a link to an article in a Canadian journal providing more info on the problems that excessive whale-watching can create: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/259973.pdf
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Flyfish,
No, the whale's were not right next to us really ... LOL! That would have been really scary in such a small boat!

The company I was with were STRICT conservationists ... I just meant that in a small boat like that it SEEMED very close and intimate. (I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear)

I can't really describe what I mean, here is the Vancouver website:

http://www.vancouverwhalewatch.com/whale_watching.html

I was on the lighship 1

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:30 PM

HI W&G--about 17 yrs ago in July or August, we went out of Boston Harbor on a somewhat larger than 12 passenger, but still very small boat. It was a commercial whale watching tour. Apparently there were whales galore, some of whom came so close to the boat as to make people fear they would toss the boat!! Alas I only heard about it, b/c I was below decks praying for death as a way to relieve my seasickness. The captain(?) said that in the whole season, there had never been any sightings to compare to that day!! I tell you this, not so much to relive one of my worst days, but to offer that there may still be smallish boats leaving from Boston Harbor--or from a North Shore locale as well.....
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:43 AM

There are strict regulations about Whale watching cruises/boats staying away from the whales. but nobody has told the whales and they are often as curious about you and you are about them. I'd recommend going to Gloucester or Provincetown.