Westin Maui?

Jun 5th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Westin Maui?

Has anyone been to the Westin recently? We have reservations in July and booked because we thought our kids would enjoy the pool area, but are concerned because we have read some negative comments about the hotel. We are paying $365 a night for an ocean view room. Is there another hotel for that amount of money which would be nicer? Thanks
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:42 AM

The Westin is vey nice. Pool is great and location is good. Your kids will have a great time. Beach in front of the Westin is good as well. We stayed at the Maui Marriott and sister stayed at the Westin (with DH and 3 kids). They had a terrific time. They were ther for 9 days and had no complaints.
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:08 AM

We actually have stayed at both the Westin and Sheraton on Maui and had a great time at each. I'm sure your kids will enjoy the pool area as well as the beach.
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:55 AM

My husband and I just returned from 11 days in Hawaii, 6 at the Westin Maui. The hotel was wonderful. We were a little concerned that maybe there would be too many kids, families, etc. from the comments on the web sites (this was our "2nd honeymoon" - married 18 years - and our kids were not with us). Check in was a breeze. All guests receive a lei greeting upon arrival (a nice touch). Self-parking was included with resort fee (and the lot was just a few steps from the front door). There has been much discussion about the rooms being small, but they were lovely. We were in the Ocean tower, 10th floor, ocean view, and the furnishings were very nice, with a nice bar area to keep all our "stuff", and the Heavenly bed was...heavenly! The buffet breakfast which was included in our room rate was fantastic! Much better than the "free" breakfasts at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu or the Marriott Waikoloa. Fresh fruit, omelettes made to order, etc. The pools were beautiful, but we really only went to them at the end of the day, as we enjoyed the beaches and sightseeing in Maui. While the main pool was crowded every day, we opted to sit at one of the others, which were always quiet and a great place to relax and read. I don't know how old your kids are, but they are bound to love the pools. We visited the Hyatt and Sheraton and they were both lovely properties, with lots of green space, but very large. What the Westin lacked in "green space", it made up for in convenience - right next door to Whaler's Village and restaurants, and it was a quick walk to the pools, parking, etc. In addition, the staff was always polite and helpful. You have the option of listening to their 90-min. time share presentation in return for $100, but we did not feel pressured to do so, and we did not do it. I would definitely stay there again or try the Hyatt or Sheraton. I don't think you can go wrong.
Jul 9th, 2003, 01:19 PM

We were there a few years ago. The pool is nice, with an adult only pool also. Kids cannot use the jacuzzi.

The pool closed around sunset, not opened until 9 or 10 PM like some other properties.
Jul 9th, 2003, 02:15 PM

I was just at the Sheraton Maui last week. I paid $195 for the cheapest room, but we were upgraded to a HUGE oceanview family suite(I have plat. status w/starwood) which was fabulous.
The biggest reason I have picked the Sheraton over the Westin my last 2 visits is because of the beach & snorkeling there. The beach is definitely much larger and nicer at the Sheraton; however, the pool is nicer at the Westin... so, depends what you are looking for.
The Sheraton is a much bigger complex and depending where your room is located, you may have to walk longer to get to the beach, pools, etc. - that may be a negative depending on the ages of your children.
I like the privacy feeling of the Sheraton - you are at the end of the stretch of hotels on Kaanapali(but can still easily walk to Whaler's village, etc.), vs. the Westin being in the middle with people walking by constantly (the path separates the pool and beach areas).
Both places have convenient free parking and lei greetings. The Sheraton also checks you in in your room - no need to go to the front desk.

My decision would probably be - if I had young children where we'd mostly be by the pool and don't want a large resort, then the Westin. If my children were older and the beach (and snorkeling) are the main attractions, then I'd go for the Sheraton.