Wine Country Overrated?

Search

Wine Country Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine Country Overrated?

Just got back from a week in San Francisco and a day in Sonoma and Napa Valley's. I'm not a big wine drinker but do enjoy an occasional glass.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about. Napa Valley seems overcrowded and the towns in both valleys didn't seem to have much charm. I do think visiting during the fall harvest would be quite enjoyable with all the festivals, etc.

Did I miss out on my visit or have others had similar experiences?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:25 AM
dln

We went one year around Valentine's Day and the fields were abloom with yellow mustard flowers. It was such a lovely sight! Perhaps you'd have better luck visiting in the winter, because we weren't hemmed in anywhere by hordes of fellow tourists. The weather was pleasant, too. Another thing we did which made for a nicer trip than yours was to drive to some of the lesser vineyards off the main drag. It seems like so many people don't want to make any left or right turns, and they miss some beautiful, smaller places somewhat off the well-beaten track. I have a photo of a vineyard (sorry to say I forget which!) that you'd swear I shot somewhere in France.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:19 PM
rasnes5

Sounds like you did miss out! How did you do the Napa & Sonoma Valleys in 1 day? Where did you go in that 1 day?
What towns did you visit? What day of the week? R5

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:09 PM
rasnes5

ttt

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:38 PM

I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY state. We visited Napa Valley a few years ago and although it was beautiful, the Finger Lakes region was just as impressive to me. Both are completely different, but equally beautiful!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:14 PM

I have been to Napa and Sonoma and enjoyed both very much. It does help if you love to try various wines but the restaurants and shopping were great too. I found the experience of wine tasting very interesting, and a fun social experience because you converse with the person pouring as well as the other people tasting and everyone is relaxed and having a good time. The wineries are also beautiful. The hot air balloon trips are nice too. I also went to several wineries in Almador County, El Dorado area, Placerville etc. in the Sacramento area and on the way to Lake Tahoe. They were much smaller, simpler but just as charming and fun. Less crowded and sometimes we were the only ones tasting and really had a chance to get to know the actual owner or member of the family.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:40 PM

I'm with rasnes..a day for both yikes!!
I prefer the Sonoma area for wine tasting unless you have the time to venture even more afield and try the wineries along HWY 128 going toward Mendocino. Napa is so crowded and commercial..I agree. But, there are wonderful places to visit and poke around in Sonoma County. And..all of this still remains true if you are not a wine drinker. It's all the better if you are. What towns in Sonoma did you visit?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:06 AM

jet519, the grapes from the Almador region are awesome. I made a Zin last year using their grapes, and it was wonderful. The area is on my short list of places to visit.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:52 AM

i recently took a trip to the west coast and loved Napa! i didn't even get to see Sonoma. I thought the town of Napa was very cute, the wine great, the land beautiful, and the restaurants delicious.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:02 AM

MikeB,

I'm with you on this one. I enjoyed my trip there but I would say that the whole experience falls under the "overrated" category. I would go again just to taste true reserve wines but other than that, I think there are better places for both scenery and wine. Though, I didn't go to French Laundry which might actually get me to return.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:53 AM

karebear4567, if you liked Napa, you'll love Sonoma, especially Healdsburg and the entire Russian River area. Great Pinots & Zins. Very scenic, my wife doesn't drink wine, and she had a blast.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:51 PM
rasnes5

'Tis fine that not everyone likes it here-not everyone cares for NYC -nor even Hawaii. (Talk about crowds...!!)
If you come here only for wines and restaurants, well then you might be really puzzled because of the hype. We are not for everyone. What did you miss? The di Rosa art preserve,
the NV museum, ANY performance of the rep. theatre at SSU, ANY concert at the Luther Burbank Center, 20-30 Farmer's Markets,
A historic walk of west-side Petaluma,
the Sonoma Coast Trail, the National Seashore, ( a morning of kayaking in the estero is a must), hiking/biking in Annadel state park, a visit to the Miwok village at Olompali, The University of Cal Marine Lab @ Bodega Bay, Safari West (a wildlife preseve of
300 African, Asian & Middle eastern species-no there are no rides)-well, you get it... so yes...you missed a FEW things.
Viva la difference!
R5