Where to stay in Maui?

Search

Where to stay in Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Maui?

Any suggestions for places to stay for a first timer to Maui? My wife and I are torn between the Westin and Resort Quest Whaler. The down side to Resort Quest Whaler is that the dining is a short walk away but the price is a bit less. Anyone ever stayed at either and what are your thoughts? Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM

The Whaler is actually a condominium with a kitchenette and you can cook and eat in some of your meals. The rooms are large but the pool is very, very small (not fun for kids). I think there are laundry rooms on each floor. It is located next to the Whalers Village shopping complex where the restaurants are, so dining really isn't far at all.

The Westin won't have the kitchen facility, but it has a fun pool, great if you have kids.

Views in either complex would depend on the unit location.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I'd go for the Westin--more fun. Exactly as stated above--the Whaler is a condo and has a tiny pool. The Westin is a resort and has considerably more "resorty" luxuries...personally I think it's worth a little extra $$$.

Don't worry about dining being too far away anywhere you stay in Ka'anapali--it's only a very short walk to various restaurants (both Whaler's Village and restaurants at the other resorts), I promise.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM

The Westin is on one side of Whalers Village and the Whaler is on the other side. So the walk for dining is about the same. If you have kids it is nice to have a kitchen like at the Whaler. The lower priced rooms at the Westin are Tiny...If you dont want a big resort pool and just want a nice pool and the beach ....choose the Whaler. We just returned on the 4th of April for 9 days with our two boys...12 and 14. We stayed in Condo for 5 nights and the Westin the last 4 nights. It was a nice change and fun for the kids...but we were cramped at the Westin and really missed the kitchen.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Check www.biddingfortravel.com. You may be able to get a nicer hotel for less money. Last time I went to Maui, I stayed at the Sheraton for $140 a night thanks to Priceline.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I agree that the Sheraton is wonderful too and we have stayed there. Put the pool is not as kid friendly as the Westin. More laid back and quiet which is great if that is what you are looking for. We stayed there in 2002 with our kids when they were 6 and 8, they really liked the beach area and the pool but as they got older the Westin appealed to all of us more for this last trip in March 2006.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM

My wife and I love staying at the Westin. Location to shopping and restaurants (walkable) is hard to beat. You do have to spend a bit more money, but stay in at least the Deluxe Ocean View room. The rooms are larger and you get more closet space. We are heading back there this Sept. for 9 days. Can't wait.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM

marriotts maui ocean club on
kaanapali beach. beautiful view of the ocean, great pool, beautiful rooms. cant wait to go back
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Golpher

We too are headed to the Westin Maui in September...our first time in Hawaii. I must say I am a bit concerned about the place being overrun with kids, although I am thinking September may be quieter? Love kids - have several grands of my own - but I am wondering if this is the right hotel for four adults in their 50's. I have read a lot of mixed reviews and wondering if we should stick with the Westin or choose another hotel.

Thanks for any input.

NannyJan
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
trippinkpj

I'd look for a Condo in a more resort setting. I think there's a lot of them in that area. Lahaina Shores was nice. i think there a section of condos at the Royal Lahaina. And also the Resort Quest at Ka'anapali Shores looks very nice and with more ammenities than the Whaler. You should also check www.tripadvisor.com for ratings/ reviews.

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM

No condos at the Royal Lahaina. Lahaina Shores and Kaanapali Shores are not in the same area as the Whaler and the Westin, which are in the Kaanapali Beach Resort. Lahaina Shores is about three miles south in Lahaina and Kaanapali Shores is about two miles north in Honokowai.

I
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM

The Kaanapali Hyatt or the Westin would be my pics. Stayed at the Hyatt in March. If you have children, the Hyatt has a 50-ft. waterslide.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Hey Nannymer.

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Maui 2 years ago from Sept. 21 to Oct. 1 and we didn't think there were many kids there. There is an adults only pool in case there is an overrun of the little tykes. I just turned 50 last year, so I understand where you are coming from. What type of room have you booked? The rooms in the Ocean Tower are larger. It seems if there is a complaint about the Westin, it's lack of room size or closet space. We had a Deluxe Oceanview room and it was fantastic. Let me know if you have any other questions. Are you a Starwood member yet? It helped us get that upgrade at the hotel. Have fun.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Golpher

Thanks for the info. Not sure which tower we are in, it was all part of an American West package. Yes, we are Starwood members, and I believe we have ocean view rooms. I need to check the itinerary. I am sure it will all be fine. We are so excited!

Nannyjan