West Maui 8/23-8/28 6Mo Pregnant Wife

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I are here in West Maui Specifially staying Kahana beach area this entire week until Friday afternoon. We wanted to get some advice on things to do, places to eat and just over all tips, recommendations.

So far what we have is
Road to Hana
snorkeling (very light)

Places to eat:
Roys ($$$) dinner
Star Noddles

your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 01:13 PM

Merriman's for dinner at sunset or at least drinks and virgin drinks on their new lanai.

A stroll along Kapalua Trail and or Ohai Trail

https://www.trails.com/activity.aspx...m=roadmap&a=HK

Crab Mac Wontons at Hula Grille
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 01:14 PM

Oh and watching surfers at Honolua from the cliff
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM

Oh for an edit button, Fodors!!!

When the opportunity presents itself in Hana or Foodland, always treat BabyMama to a Shakapop!

https://www.trails.com/activity.aspx...m=roadmap&a=HK
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM

http://shakapopsmaui.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 02:54 PM

Iao Valley ... very magical!

and my favorite thing: driving to Haleakala to watch the sunset and stargaze. The Leleiwi overlook (with views into the volcano's crater) took my breath away. Then, at the summit, it was the most magnificent sunset I've ever seen--as the sun set ON TOP of the clouds. It's a long drive--but soooo worth it. But be forewarned it was VERY COLD!!! Bring a blanket (or two!)
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 02:59 PM

I never understand people finding Iao Valley to be magical considering it's very bloody history. I found it beautiful but eery.
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele. Take a trip up to Kapalua beach. We stayed in the same area as you and loved it. Mostly just hung out at the condo. Easy to head to Lahaina or Kaanapali for meals. We also took in the Warren and Annabelle show. So good and fun! Enjoyed meals at Hali'imaile Store and Ma'la.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

We were on our way our out the door to Haleakala for sunrise drive. However, the weather today was so bad that our concierge person said that it is not worth taking that drive with the overcast and flash flood warnings. We didn't take the risk.

I am wondering, has anyone been in a similar situation in Maui with heavy rainfall? What are some alternative things to do?

BTW we tried the Hula Grill yesterday for lunch. Let me tell you it was a great experience. The Taro buns were good on the pulled pork could have been a little softer, but overall it was amazing. We sat at the barefoot bar and enjoyed the breeze, ocean views and traditional Hawaiian music. The pineapple upside-down rum cake is a must try!

Unfortunate we do not have an unlimited budget and cannot do fine dining for every meal. lol...so we are thinking of having 1 or 2 fine dinning experiences likely for dinner.
Should Merriman's be on my top 3 list? I have read mama's fish house is amazing.

You guys are really the best. I don't know what I would do without the Fodor community. Many of my travel plans rely on genuine feedback from average people. I greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Mama's Fish house is very good, but it is also very expensive. If it's your first trip to Maui though, I'd try it, just because the ambiance is very vintage Hawaii and kind of like a posh tiki bar.
Read my most recent post on it here: http://sulynnchen.com/travelblog/?p=548

For some cheap eats, check out my blog post on Maui cheap eats: http://sulynnchen.com/travelblog/?p=579

Also for a rainy day---sorry, I too would be at a loss...maybe go have a nice long lunch (somewhere indoors or at least mostly covered) and go to the spa! Maybe the Maui Ocean Center - but I have not been so not sure if some exhibits are outside.

Have a great time! Even though the weather is crazy, I'm sure it's still lovely.