Must do on Maui with only 2 days

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must do on Maui with only 2 days

We are going in Feb (can't hardly wait) on a faimly vacation (10 of us - 4 from my wife's family including her - and 6 from mine). We're staying on Oahu and Maui but some members only have 3 days on Maui - one is taken up getting from Oahu and going to the Royal Lahaina Luau - so we need the must do ideas (in 2 days) that are low or no cost since some of the family members won't be able to afford to do the expensive items that we could do (and would like to do). All but 2 of the 10 are first time Maui, and first time Hawaii, travelers. Time is getting short so we need some help quick. Thanks
David
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM

Stroll Lahaina
Road to Hana
Iao Valley
Haleakala sunrise or sunset
Snorkel
Whale watching cruise (or see them from shore for free)

Here's a thread for Oahu. Many of the sites are good for all islands.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

This site has several whale watching cruises and lists places to see them from shore:

http://www.activity-hawaii-travel-gu...ng-hawaii.html

Snorkel:

http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insider...com/index.html

http://www.adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/maps.htm

http://www.maui-vacation.net/snorkelmap.html

www.snorkelbobs.com Scroll to the bottom & click on Map'nTips
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM

I'm sure my first recommendation will be a little off "slant" than most. My suggested must do for you in Maui is...NOTHING!

Two days is just enough time to get you tired..tee hee

I would research, but make no plans. Wherever you go is beautiful. Enjoy the island, people, and scenery. Have a nice meal and walk-a-long a beach.

While the drive up Haleakala is beautiful, up and down is a few hours. Same for Road to Hana. And yes, I've done both.

Driving the island from Kapalua to Kannapali...then to Lahaina, and last frm Lahaina to Kihie and Wailea provides many alternatives and great views. Of course this could be done in reverse.

I agree with dusty to enjoy whale watching for free. February is a great time for it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Don't spend your precious two days in the car! Forget Hana and Haleakala this time. Maui has glorious beaches.
Enjoy the water. Maybe go walk around one or two of the nearby fancy hotels.
A short morning whale watch cruise would also be good in February. I think Pacific Whale Foundation has some that are only 2 hours long and therefore less expensive than the half day cruises.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM

Two things I would hate to miss on a first trip to Maui are the Iao Valley and the top of Haleakala - both free, unique to Maui, and beautiful!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
trippinkpj

I would focus on things you can do in a 1/2 day or a few hours. Iao Valley is a good suggestion. Walking around Lahaina is fun. I hear the Sugar Cane train is fun and not too expensive. Yes, in Feb I would look for a deal on Whale watching. And just enjoy the beach.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM

Lie on the beach. Drink a tropical drink. Swim in the warm water. Lie on the beach. Drink a tropical drink...
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Ag3046

I would second anything that didn't include driving to or from west Maui, including Lahaina, with the terrible traffic. A drive upcountry or to Haleakala is nice, but don't spend the entire day doing it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Given the limited time available, I suggest forget about lying on beaches and drinking, which can be done anyplace tropical. This is Hawaii, the difference between here and anywhere else, is all about "aloha". So make sure that you not only do the things that your group will enjoy, but make sure that you do something so that you can mix with the locals, not just with fellow tourists, and have them rub some of the aloha spirit on you.... which is why so many of us enjoy going there, so much!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:26 PM

I agree with kanunu. I like to sit on the beach for awhile in the morning and at sunset. The rest of the time I like to see/do those things that only exist on Maui. It's a unique destination, and one that most of us will only have an opportunity to experience a few times in a lifetime - if that!