Search

West Houston Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Houston Hotel

I am traveling to Houston on business later this month near 1-10 & Gessner. Any good hotels nearby? Which airport should I fly into? I guess I will need a rental car?
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:39 PM
emd

I like the Omni Houston Westside; it is at I 10 and the Eldrige exit (I think it is Eldridge, it might be one exit before Eldridge) so it is a few exits past Gessner. But it is full service and most other small chain hotels out there are not. There are other hotel chains on I 10 but not as nice. Fly into Houston Intercontinental and take Beltway 8 when you leave the airport (it's a toll) and you can exit to I 10 west). Be forwarned-- I 10 west is the WORST traffic I have ever encountered (forget L.A.- this is much worse). DON'T go out I 10 going west after 2 p.m. or so and try not to go east on I 10 til 10 a.m. in the mornings. You will need to have a rental car, Houston is sprawling and even if you just go to the hotel you will want a car to get dinner, etc. If it is a one day business trip you could cab to the hotel (but it will cost more than a car) but be sure you have somewhere to eat at the hotel or good room service if you do that. If you have your own car and the traffic is bad on I 10, you can bail off the freeway and kill some time somewhere til traffic lets up.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM

The traffic on I-10 is horrible due to construction. My preference would be to fly into IAH. There is a candlewood suites at town and country but you can go into search and type in hotels for town and country area. Yes, you will need a rental car no doubt! Have a good time!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
emd

Oh, when you mentioned Town and Country that reminded me of another pretty good hotel for business travel there. It is right at the intersection of Beltway 8 and I 10- it's a realy nice Raddison. They have suites too, w/separate living area and wet bar, if you can spend the $$. Nice hotel for business but one thing sis it is a bit tricky to get into and out of from the highway, because it is literally in the middle of the overpasses, underneath the crossover. If you opt for that one, make sure to get specific instructions on exiting Beltway 8 to get there from the airport. ACtually, that hotel is porbably better situated for your Gessner location than Omni.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Yes, that Radisson was the first that came to mind. It is nice.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Just found out that the place where I need to be in between 1-10 and westheimer off the sam houston parkway. I made reservations at the Hilton Westchase on Weisheimer. Any nicer hotels in that area?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM

You done good.

Around westheimer & 8, the Hilton Westchase is probably your best bet, though some folks swear by the Adams Mark. There's also a pile of budget places strung along the beltway 8 feeder road, but you don't seem to be a low-end kind of guest...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tio
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Dan

Anyone know if this Westchase Hilton has been renovated recently? I stayed there a few years ago (1999 or 2000, I think) and it was a DOG.