Search

Seward to Cordova

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seward to Cordova

Hi all. Still trying to figure out our itinerary. We dropped the Juneau portion of our trip - we were going to drive back up to Anchorage after Seward on Thursday and fly out to Juneau, but we're thinking that we might stay in South Central Alaska and go to Cordova instead.

I'm trying to find a way to get to Cordova from Seward without having to go back up to Anchorage. I know we could take the ferry, which is the most cost-conscious decision, but it's a 12-hour trip and I get seasick pretty easily. It doesn't seem like there are any scheduled flights between Seward and Cordova, either. Or am I not searching in the right place? I've been on several of the smaller Alaskan airline sites and such.

Is air taxi the only other way to go? And does anyone know how much this might cost and what companies should I contact?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Alaska Airlines runs one flight a day in each direction between Anchorage and Seattle via Cordova (aka the milk run). There are no scheduled flights between Seward and Cordova, and given the weather around Seward I'm not sure I'd chance it with an air taxi given the weather and limited facilities at the little Seward airport. Not that it would be especially hazardous, just iffy re scheduling.

For air taxi, figure around $300-$400 per hour depending on number of insured seats and aircraft type (and don't forget the pilot's return trip.) Not sure of the time from Seward to CDV but probably an hour each way. Remember that's for the whole plane.

If you get seasick on inland waters, how about light aircraft?

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Strangely enough, I can handle most planes, even puddle jumpers, and helicopters too. It's just water that I have trouble with.

What are you referring to when you mention the weather around Seward being temperamental? Is it just in the wintertime or during the summer months as well? We are going in mid-July.

I am presuming that even though the ferry trip is 12 hours, the sightseeing from the boat ought to be worth the trip? I may just take some motion sickness medication with me and hope that it will be enough.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Tempermental, yes. As in pouring rain, fog, sunshine, williwaws (strong updrafts), shear wind, dead calm. Then after lunch it will be different.

It is scenic - incredibly in parts, distant in others. Strong likelihood of marine mammals. The water is not (usually) very rough on this route; sometimes it can be dead smooth. Protected inland waters and all that.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:27 AM

http://www.flyera.com/

ERA has scheduled Cordova service- from Anchorage but sometimes offers great specials. I think though if you are prone to seasickness- take precautions, if you go via the ferry.