West Hollywood and Hollywood Highlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Renaissance Hollywood. I understand that Sunset Blvd cuts through Hollywood so it's quite close (?) How safe will it be to walk around sunset blvd/west hollywood at night to see the bars? And would it be easy to get in the famous ones?

On another topic: car rentals in Southern California. Do all have a navigator system like Hertz' Never Lost or if we need such a device, we should just book Hertz?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:50 AM

Please consult a map and check distances. The Renaissance Hollywood is some 3 miles from where you want to go-- too far to walk at night. You will need to drive and park, or get cabs.

It's not a particularly dangerous area, and it's pretty heavily patrolled by LAPD, so you should generally be fine. It will NOT be easy to get into the Hot Clubs (and, in the case of Sky Bar, impossible if you're not a guest at the Mondrian or mentioned in "Daily Variety" or the "Hollywood Reporter" with deals in negotiation).

You will have to check with the rental companies vis-à-vis GPS in their cars. I've never used one in my life, but I would be worried that its routes would be out of date, especially in an area like LA Metro.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM

There are quite a lot of bars in Hollywood within walking distance of your hotel. You should be fine walking around there. I lived in the neighborhood for 12 years and I never had any problems. Some of the clubs in this neighborhood are Beauty Bar, Boardners (slightly dumpy, but still fun), Burgundy Room, Las Palmas, Deep, Daddy's, Garden of Eden, Highlands (right at Hollywood & Highland next door to your hotel), Nacional (probably hard to get in though) and The Room just to name a few. West Hollywood is too far. it's an easy cab ride though if you plan on drinking. You can bowl at Lucky Strike which is also at Hollywood & Highland. Have fun.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:07 AM

Note: I only meant that West Hollywood is not within walking distance of your hotel. It's not far from where you are staying.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YOu don't need Neverlost in L.A. All the streets run straight, north to south or east to west. A map will be just fine.