Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good Hotel located near the action in Hollywood?

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 30 year olds (men and women mixed) that are taking a day trip to LA from our vacation in San Diego to check out the club scene. I have made reservations at the Renaissance Hollywood hotel. Is this going to be close enough to the action or should I rethink our reservations? We will only be there for one night (Sat.) and would love any tips on the party scene in this area. Are cabs readily available to take us to "more" action? Are we safe here? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:21 PM

The Renaissance is right in the middle of the Hollywood action but it is mostly touristy. If you want to be where the clubs and celebrities are than you need to go to West Hollywood. There is WAY more of a party scene in West Hollywood. There are a ton of hotels on Sunset Blvd. Some you might want to try are: the Hyatt, Chateau Marmont, the Grafton, the Mondrian (huge party bar called Sky Bar there) and the Standard. If you're coming to go to clubs than go to West Hollywood for sure.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.sunsetplazahotel.com
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM

I agree you really want to be staying in WEST Hollywood, or even Santa Monica -- not Hollywood. There isn't much "action" at all in Hollywood - well there is, but not the type of "action" you are probably looking for . . . .
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:21 PM

Agree with the West Hollywood sentiment. We just stayed at the Standard last weekend (still working on finishing short trip report on it) and on Friday and Saturday it's a big party in their lobby/lounge/bar/poolside. You may or may not be able to get into Skybar without being hotel guests. Miyagi's is right there, Bar Marmont, Whiskey Bar, there's tons of places.

You'll find Hollywood proper dead compared to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip.
And yes, you should be pretty safe here, there's LOTS of people around at night, and lots of cabs too. You might just enjoy staying in the neighborhood and walking up and down Sunset, checking out all the different places.

Don't forget to hit Farmer's Market (3rd and Fairfax) in the morning for a wonderful variety of cuisine in a funky, laidback outdorr market atmosphere!

love
roxy
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:12 PM

They Hollywood club scene is very much alive. You just need to know where to find it. You can spend your time standing in line with posers at trendy clubs known for their snooty attitude and with cookie cutter DJs who play the same dance mix, or you can go out and have fun, hear some local music, see go-go dancers, have a manicure with your martini, do salsa dancing or be a voyeur at a bar that drips sex with a leanign toward s&m. Just a short cab ride away you will find all the action on and around Cahuenga. In a few block radius you will find
Sunset Room
Ivar
Opium Den
Burgundy Room
Beauty Bar
Deep
Star Shoes
Goldfingers
The Room
Papawz
Xes
and more that I canot think of right now

We usually like to start out at the Beauty Bar for happy hour (manicure and martini for $10) and then wander up and down Cahuenga and venture onto side street, following the sound of live music and recommendations form those we have met at the last bar or on the street.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM

Ha! Yes, we go to a lot of those places! The Burgundy Room in particular for its special brand of smoke and dive-iness. But it seems that for a tourist looking for "Hollywood", Sunset Strip has a more all-around hopping, sparkly, "celebrity" feel.

But yes, I agree, there are many places to be had if you check out the Hollywood neighborhood. Sunset though, you just feel it all around you, the "action", as it were. Just depends on what you're looking for I guess.

love
roxy
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:13 PM

Roxy I agree w/ you that W. Hollywood has more of the Hollywood "vibe" than Hollywood. I love Hollywood myself but I think most people who are coming to experience "sparkly celeb" thing will enjoy West Hollywood more and it's little bit safer for walking around at night. If I was to stay in Hollywood though I'd stay at the Roosevelt. It might be old and all but I just love the place.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all the help. I think most that responded understand what it is that we are looking for. The biggest problem that we are running in to is that most hotels on the strip (West Hollywood) have a minimum stay of 2 nights. Unfortunatly we are only going to be there one night. What about Le Montrose Suites? I thought I had read about this hotel previously, but can't seem to get the scoop now that I need it. Any help would be appreciated. Again, THANKS !
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:17 AM

I've never stayed there but I've heard good things about it. I don't think it's right on the Strip but that's OK. Have you tried the Wyndam Bel Age? It's on San Vicente and Sunset, it's really nice and all the rooms are suites, give them a try.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Just to let you all know... I changed our reservations to the Grafton thanks to some suggestions I saw on these boards. So, now that I know where we are staying... can anyone suggest places to go. Are there any places in the area to get a "cheap buzz" going... preferably not a 20.00 a glass type place. Also, any suggestions on how to get into some of these places would be interesting... we don't have to "try" to get into clubs here in Virginia Beach! Thanks again for all of your help.