Weekend Trips from Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a surprise weekend trip for my boyfriend's birthday- we live in Chicago, but are fairly recent West Coast transplants, so I don't know the surrounding area too well. I'd like to take him to an area 2-2 1/2 hours away, preferrably somewhere on the lake, to enjoy a scenic weekend (somewhere with trees and birds sounds good). We'd be going the first weekend in April, but the possibility of bad weather doesn't scare me much. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:38 PM

A nice place might be American Club in Kohler WI. Not within sight of Lake Michigan,, but a very short drive away.

Nice romantic place. Luxurious rooms. Great food.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Hi jtankers,

I live 50 miles north of Chicago in Antioch,IL, and just love to do frequent weekend getaways to Lake Geneva, WI.

The town of Lake Geneva is lovely. Filled with fun shops, a great park, boat tours, great restaurants.

Stay at the French Country Inn which is also home to "Kirsch's", an award winning restaurant. The inn is literally steps away from Lake Como, is set among very mature oak trees, and is just very lovely, quaint and quiet. Try frenchcountryinn.com -
Kirsch's also has a website, maybe you can spot a menu.

The inn is about 2 miles out of downtown Lake Geneva, but well worth staying out of town.

If that doesn't work for you Bella Vista Suites, right in town is nice, but it's much noisier... the street runs between the hotel and Geneva Bay.

Door County, WI is also a wonderful getaway spot, but you really need a 4 day weeekend for that, and the drive from Chicago will be 5 hours... save that for another time

Have fun!!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Not sure what kind of visit you're looking for. If you are going for upscale resort you will not be able to beat the American Club. If you're golfers you'll have access to the world-class Whistling Straits, right on the lakeshore.

If you just want to walk along the beach, you may want to try Terre Andre Park just south of Sheboygan. A state park with lots of dunes.

If you're going farther north, take county LS out of Sheboygan to Manitowoc. Nice lakeshore drive.

Further north, (but outside of your 2 and a half hour frame), it only gets better. Lots of choice, small towns on the lake, B&Bs, etc.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Almost forgot...

Lake Geneva will be a little less than a 2 hour drive from Chicago.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Or consider Michigan. The area referred to as Harbor Country is about 2 hours from even the north side of Chicago. There is lots of antiquing, restaurants, etc., plus nice B&Bs and inns right on Lake Michigan. Some of the beach areas are stunning.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:41 AM

OR you can stay in the state. While WI and MI are both very nice, there is stuff in Illinois as well, such as Starved Rock State Park which offers a lot of great hiking with rocks, trees, waterfalls...
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM

My husband and I spent the weekend at Sundara Spa in the Dells in WI. Check out Sundaraspa.com
It was luxurious and incredible. I can't wait o go back!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:42 PM

You might consider Eagle Ridge near Galena IL,about 1 1/2 hours west of Chicago: great golfing,biking,hiking,antique shops,etc. I love the hilly terrain in this part of the state.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Galena is a good suggestion, but it is 160 miles from Chicago - more like 3 hours drive. Harbor Country, Starved Rock, Kohler and Lake Geneva are great suggestions, too. I'd toss in the Amish country in NW Indiana for something different.

My biggest concern would be the weather - first week of April isn't known for it's balminess here. It's likely to be chilly and rainy; I doubt most golf courses would be open for business yet. If it were my birthday, I'd get on a plane to Savannah!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow- too many suggestions for an indecisive traveller! I've narrowed it down to either Harbor Country, Starved Rock or Lake Geneva- being that we're not really the luxury resort, 100-acre golf course type of people, it sounds like one of those three places might suit our interests better. Any further suggestions as to the best place out of the three (great food, beautiful sights, fun central area to walk around in, would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Harbor Country encompasses a number of small towns on and adjacent to Lake Michigan: Union Pier, New Buffalo, Three Oaks, etc. So it is more spread out but maybe less congested than Lake Geneva area, which can sometimes be one big traffic jam on a nice weekend. Unless it's changes a lot since I was last there, Starved Rock is for hikers and scenery buffs, not those who are interested in nice restaurants and shopping.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM

You'll certainly find traffic in Lake Geneva during the summer months, in April... no traffic worries.

It'll be wonderfully quiet, the beginning of spring... hopefully good weather, but you never know , you can walk around the entire lake and drool over the estate homes of the rich & famous... most of them opened only in the summer months. I'm not sure if the boat tours will be running yet in April, but you'll find plenty to keep you exploring!

Again, the French Country Inn is a great place to stay, relax, enjoy the lake, whatever... and the on-site restaurant, Kirsch's is one of the best places to dine in LG... check out the menu online. We love the live entertainment too...

Gilbert's is also wonderful dining... Popeye's is a fun popular spot across from the pier to eat anytime,

Whatever you decide, have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Skip Starved Rock if you're looking for great food. Both Lake Geneva and Harbor Country are fun. Lake Geneva is more congested - Harbor Country is many small towns. There are some great B & B's. One is owned and run by Sheila Lukins who owned the Silver Palate in NY and wrote the cookbook - I think it's in/near Union Pier but don't know the name or anyone who's stayed there.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:32 PM

I second the other post - skip Starved Rock if looking for great restaurants. Although Galena may be further than a 2 hour drive, it really is a nice place to go. Hubby & I stayed at a nice B&B and had a TERRIFIC meal at a restaurant in the boon docks - something like Fried Green Tomatoes. It was an old work farm in the depression that has been renovated into a restaurant. Absolutely delicious!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:34 PM

While it is more than 2.5 hours away, Southern Illinois is a great option. It is about 5 hours from the city (straight down I-57) and has a wine trail, hiking, lots of nature and some good food.