Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Weekend trip within Texas... Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great site! I'm new here.

Some friends and I are wanting to take a weekend trip within Texas. We currently live in Houston, so it can't be too far from there.

I was thinking Fredricksburg (which I have heard is lovely), San Antonio (Which I love and would like to visit again), Corpus Christi (Been there, but they kinda want to go), or Texas Hill Country and see Gruene Hall (Never been!).... I'm open to any recommendations you can offer!

Any suggestions? And of the places I've listed above, do you have any recommendations for "must-do/see" or places to stay/eat?

Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM

We really love both Gruene and San Antonio, and liked Fredricksburg.

Gruene has a charming bed and breakfast called the Gruene Apple Inn - that's where we always stay. The town is really charming too - loads of cute shops, antiques, Bluebell ice cream. You could eat at the Grist Mill - it's a great little restaurant with lots of decks that overlook the river; they have good homemade wine coolers and sometimes have live music. There's also a famous dance hall next door where a lot of C&W singers got their start. If you go in the warmer months, you can tube on the river or go to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels - it's very close by. Huisache Grill in New Braunfels also had really good food.

In San Antonio, we stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort - very nice spa there and a lazy river that runs around the property that you can float on. The Marriott Rivercenter is great if you want to be closer to the river - eat at Boudro's, go see the Alamo, and take one of the barge tours that goes up and down the river.

Fredricksburg has some cute shops and good German food. We hiked Enchanted Rock while we were there.

I guess it really depends upon what you're looking for, but personally I'd go SA or Gruene. Have fun!
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM

All of those are good ideas. Austin wasn't mentioned but is good fun as well.

What does the group like to do? Are they active, partiers, foodies, drinkers?

Gruene Hall is near New Braunfels/San Marcos. It is OK for a night but there is not much else there (I haven't been in a long, long time however) I only know it for beer after floating down the Guadalupe. That is fun!

There is also Lake Charles if you like to gamble, and New Orleans is not too far away as well.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Austin would be a lot of fun too. You can get out on the lake; we always hit the Oasis for margaritas and great sunset views. Also like Hula Hut.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Austin would be fun... good suggestion! I've been several times, but would love to return.

I'll take any suggestions you have! Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM

I think it depends on your age and interests. I've been to Fredricksburg, my mother and mother-in-law LOVE it. It's a nice little German town with mainly shopping. My husband didn't like it, except for the museum and Hill Top Cafe. It probably wouldn't be a good choice for college age girls.

If you go to Gruene Hall, the good thing is it won't be hot (it doesn't have a/c) but it won't be filled with summer tourists, either. It does get a good dose of college students from San Marcos and Austin, as well as locals. If you want to check out who's booked, the website is www.gruenehall.com. Usually decent Mexican food in Gruene is Gruene Adobe, sometimes has great live music, or there's Grist Mill Restaurant also in Gruene.

My favorite restaurant in New Braunfels (Gruene is practically in NB) is Huisache Grille, www.huisache.com, and my favorite mexican food in San Antonio is Rosario's.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM

fyb, looks like we have the same taste in restaurants!

surfergal, what's the age makeup and gender of your group of friends?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM

volcano girl, huisache's bisque is fat free, right?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Oh, definitely, and so is the fried Brie and the creme brulee!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

We are 2 newlywed couples in our mid twenties. That's why I thought Gruene would be fun.

Austin would be a lot of fun, except the other couple both graduated from Texas A & M, and their rival, UT is in Austin, haha!

We may even consider New Orleans. I'm just dissappointed that I never got to see NOLA before hurricane Katrina... I understand a lot is rebuilt, but will never be the same as it was.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM

surfergal, I'm an Aggie too - just tell them to go incognito. The last time I went to Austin, I accidentally wore an A&M shirt - believe it or not, no one even commented on it. Have fun, and let us know where you end up! I love Gruene - my husband thinks it needs more sports bars - LOL. I really don't think you could go wrong with San Antonio either.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM

TX surfergal 05,

New Orleans is well worth seeing, even after Katrina. The French Quarter and Garden District are back to normal, as is the downtown area (CBD). Those areas look much the same as they did before Katrina.

Right now, New Orleans is going through a boom of sorts, as tourism has pretty much been back to normal the past few weeks.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Great.... Thanks for the suggestions!

Keep 'em coming!

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Gruene is a very easy drive from San Antonio. Probably 30 minutes from downtown. Stay at the Hotel Contessa (new hip all-suite hotel on the Riverwalk) and go to Gruene for an afternoon or evening.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Since you are all in your mid-twenties, I'd suggest Austin for a fun weekend. They "allow" Aggies to visit

I'd suggest checking out www.austin360.com and see what kind of special events they have. Austin is the live music capital of the world so they say. There is always something. In September there is the big ACL festival with literally hundreds of preformers. www.aclfestival.com Tickets for this year are onsale now.

After saying all of that, I love San Antonio. There is lots of fun to be had there.

As a couple in our mid-forties, we love Fredricksburg and Gruene. You can read into that whatever you wish.

I don't think you can go totally wrong wherever you choose as everything you've mentioned is relatively close by considering you have to deal with the traffic in Houston!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
dmlove

Hi all. We're going to be in San Antonio for 3 days in a few weeks. Our nephew and his wife live in Austin. Since we only have 3 days, would it make sense for us to drive to Austin (and if so, should we take an entire day?), or, after reading this thread, would it make more sense to have them meet us for dinner in Gruene (or earlier than dinner - time to poke around)?

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
dmlove

ttt

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM

I would meet in Gruene and eat at the Grist Mill. The onion rings are to die for....