Austin and San Antonio in late August

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Austin for a conference for 5 days. We will rent a car and plan to stay another 4 days to drive down to San Antonio. We would like recommendations of things to see and do in both places and anything in between. I am very much into photography and hope to get some great images. We like sightseeing and of course I like a little shopping.

Are there interesting things in San Marcos and New Braunfels?
Since we will have a car we can explore a little.
Thanks for all suggestions and recommendations.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM

San Marcos has excellent outlet shopping. There is a lot of high end stuff like Neiman Marcus, Pottery Barn, BCBG, Coach. http://www.primeoutlets.com/cntrdefault.asp?cntrid=1042

I would suggest staying one of your 4 additional nights in New Braunfels which is halfway to San Antonio. There are some cute B&B's in Gruene (which is part of NB), and you can walk to many charming shops, restaurants and bars.
http://www.touringtexas.com/gruene/

From San Antonio, drive west into the Hill country and you'll find some beautiful scenery. http://www.texashillcountry.com/

It will likely be very warm in late August, so you may want to budget some pool time as well.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM

The best way to beat the heat in Texas Hill country is to go tubing! I recommend tubing the Comal river in New Braunfels. It's so much fun. Pack a cooler of beer and water to float along with you (don't forget to bungee the top closed before the tube chute!) Take sunscreen and a hat.
After tubing, get some great bar-b-que or mexican food.
Here's a good website for more info.
http://www.tubetexas.com/
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM

San Antonio has a lot of activities for tourists - the most popular activity is going to the River Walk. You can take a sightseeing tour by small boat on the water and then go eat at one of the restaurants that line the River Walk. SA also has Fiesta Texas, SeaWorld, and the Alamo. Be sure to get some margaritas while you're in town.

San Marcos has fabulous outlet shopping, and New Braunfels has a great water park called Schlitterbahn, as well as tubing on the river. It will be hot, so those might be activities you'd enjoy. Huisache Grill is one of our favorite restaurants there.

Becky mentioned Gruene - we stayed at the Gruene Apple there and would highly recommend it; it's a great B&B. There are tons of antique shops and cute stores. We always eat at the Grist Mill restaurant which is right on the river; they often have live music - fun place. The town also has an old dance hall where they play live music as well - some famous country stars have played there. It's a great area; you will enjoy it!
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Plan on it being over 100 degrees. The annual "sales tax holiday" is Augu. 3-5, so you'll miss that, thank goodness (the outlet malls are sheer madness then.)Natural Bridge Caverns are nice to visit...it's always cool in caves.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Missypie reminded me when she mentioned the caverns, there's also a big animal park that you can drive through and feed the animals. You stay in your car the entire time and the animals are all around you - zebras, ostriches, etc. You might be able to get some good photo images there. We did it the same day we did the caverns, and it was a fun day.
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
P_M

Here's a thread with some ideas for Austin.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34983198

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM

In Austin, Mt. Bonnell is a good spot to visit - it's got great views of the city. The Oasis is a fun restaurant to visit. It has decks that overlook Lake Travis - you could probably get some beautiful sunset shots there.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Agree with all comments above, but would definitely second the Natural Bridge Caverns. Carlsbad they're not, but they are quite impressive nonetheless and a great respite from the heat.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM

But after the cavern tour, you won't want to wear mascara anymore.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM

We visited all the Texas Missions around San Antonio, starting at the Alamo. I got some great pix of each. We got directions at our hotel and drove short distances from one to the other. It was a very pleasant and interesting afternoon.

I think you'll find areas around the Riverwalk very "photogenic." Also fun to walk around, look in the shops, take a barge ride on the river and, of course, eat.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM

The Mission Trail is not to be missed. There are 5 of them and each is so different and you will love the photo opportunities. We started at the one fartherst out and followed the trail into the city, stopped for lunch at Mi Tierra, and ended at The Alamo. Then a stroll and boat ride on the Riverwalk made for a most enjoyable day with lots of great pictures.

You must visit Mi Tierra, a Mexican restaurant and bakery in the market. It's open 24 hours a day and very unique. Their guacamole is excellent and the bakery items are fantastic. Also, LaFogata Restaurant regularly wins best Mexican food in SA rankings and worth finding. It's not downtown but is always crowded and has lovely outdoor patio dining. Recommend the verde enchilladas and guacamole made tableside.

Outside of Austin about 20 miles southwest you should try The Salt Lick if you like barbeque. It's out in the country but again always a crowd and the drive is very pretty.

Know you will enjoy both Austin and San Antonio but be prepared for the heat--August is a bear in Texas!
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:56 AM

I've been to Austin several times, mostly chasing music, but several memories really stand out for me.

Austin:
1. The Barton Springs pool in Zilcher Park - and stop at Chuy's for a snack afterwards.
2. The Continental Club on S. Congress - an institution. Sundays is HeyBale night. (also get to Antone's & La Zona Rosa in the old warehouse district if you can - your music-loving friends will be SO jealous!)
3. The Oasis at Lake Travis - I have never seen this much decking before... and what a sunset view!
4. The bats at sunset - look this one up on Google!
5. The Ironworks - really, really good BBQ

On the road:
6. Wimberley - a weird, private, swimming hole called "Blue Hole". Mangrove trees and the stream channel appears to be in limestone... strangest water color ever!
7. Gruene - I've never caught a show at Gruene Hall, but this is it, folks... world-famous, yet down-homey.

San Antonio:
8. Riverwalk - you have to do it! And I don't mean to disilluwion, but the IMAX movie about the Alamo was almost more impressive than the actual article. I had trouble believing that the founders allowed development to within a couple-hundred feet of a living piece of history.
9. The "space needle" and complex left-over from the world's fair. Cosmopolitan-like!
10. I'll admit it - we went on a tour of the Lone Star Brewery ;-) Very marginal beer selection, but wildly kooky "Buckhorn Hall of Horns" display!

If you have the car while in Austin
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I agree that the Mission Trail is a great opportunity for photos. We had a beautiful black and white photo my husband took of one of the missions enlarged and framed to put in our living room. It was also late August while we were there. Make sure you have a pool to take a dip in after touring all the missions. That was the first thing we did when we got back to the hotel!
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM
OO

The missions, especially San Jose, are a photographer's dream come true. It is best either early in the morning or late afternoon when the shadows play with the arches. Honestly, it's hard to take a bad photo there! Here are some of mine taken a couple of Christmases ago. Very amateurish, but it'll give you an idea of the potential. http://www.worldisround.com/articles/320559/index.html

More stores in the San Marcos outlet: Bose for your husband, Yves Delorme for you. Tumi for both of you. That outlet mall is mind boggling in size and growing constantly.

We only live a couple of miles from the caverns and wild life park (which are side by side). Drove past it twice this weekend and cars were backed up to get in both times. I'd go early if you are planning on doing the wildlife park. We really enjoy the caverns. House guests from England last year thought it was one of the highlights of their trip.

I second the recommendation to stop in Gruene and look around, but DO make a point of going to Gruene Hall...best, IMHO, on a Sunday afternoon. There is some incredible talent (free, my current favorite, Band of Heathens, an Austin group plays there often) there as well as pros for ticketed events. Sunday afternoons are normally free. The hall alone is a sight to see, old wooden floor, long tables and benches to sit and listen, screened windows, amazingly kept cool even in summer with ceiling fans. It has tons of atmosphere...bring your camera here too!
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM

As everyone has mentioned, Austin and SA will be hot. Here are some things to do with "cool" in mind.

1. Check out the Texas Capitol- beautiful building with lots of photo-ops.
2. Barton Springs Pool in Zilker- Beautiful natural pool but beware temps are a chilly 68 degrees.
3. Hamilton Pool is west of Austin, but another beautiful natural swimming hole.
4. Do check out a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse- it is so awesome. Every other row is taken out and there is a long table in its place because they serve food and drinks at this movie theater ( and yes that includes beer.) Trust me, you will be looking for some AC in August.
Hope this helps.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I'd have to second many of the ideas here. In the Austin area, I'd focus on the many beautiful crystal clear creeks and lakes.

First, I'd head to Barton Springs for a dip in the mighty refreshingly chilly (even in August) natural springs. Native Americans used to bathe in this water for its magical healing powers, and nowadays Austinites feel the same way about it!

I'd also check out the bats on Congress Ave at sunset - surely a sight to see.

Another option is to tour the Capitol (very interesting and a/c) and walk up and down 6th Street at night.

I'd recommend Hamilton Pool, a natural spring fed oasis with crystal clear water and a natural waterfall that drains into it. It has a nice flat pebbly beach that's great for suntanning, and the water is cool.

If you dare, you can check out Hippie Hollow, a clothing optional beach on Lake Travis. That's definitely a way to beat the heat Even if you don't want to partake, you can eat at the Oasis and take in a beautiful sunset on Lake Travis.

For San Antonio, I'd recommend visiting the Alamo, taking the boat ride tour of the Riverwalk and just strolling along it. Be sure to have dinner outside along the Riverwalk. Yes it will be warm, but who cares after a few margaritas? If you get hot along the Riverwalk in the day, just dart into the Rivercenter for a smoothie and you'll be fine.

I'd also recommend you to check out Sea World and Schlitterbaun Waterpark. Schlitterbaun is the #1 Waterpark in the country as per the Travel Channel, so it's not to be missed.

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:59 PM
valeriesgallery

Mrs.Jenn is right on! Tubing would be ideal that time of year.
AUSTIN:If you are into nightlife, in Austin, stay away from 6th St and go to warehouse district.
Barton Springs, definitely. A cool place to dip your feet!
The bats are found on the Congress Ave Bridge. Park yourselves around the bridge on the grass or across the river in the direction of downtown.Amazingly, thousands of bats fly out daily when the sun goes down. Strange and wonderful!
Check out the home of Whole Foods in Austin, worth a look and a stroll around for lunch or a snack!
If you stand right under the capitol dome in the capitol, your voice won't echo. OR is it your voice will echo? MissJenn might be a better one to describe that! But tour the capitol grounds, interesting!

SAN ANTONIO-outside of SA by one hour going west, visit a historical German town called Castroville. (good memories there) It used to be pretty quiet but by now I am sure it is built up. Be sure to go the art gallery there in the square!
Very Quaint!
Hill Country, another place I'd love to live. Gorgeous, tremendous, lucious at times. August will be hot, time in the countryside would do you good! (away from the hot concrete)
Lately, there has been a huge increase in construction traffic in SA, be prepared or just go to the countryside!
Have fun!

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM
valeriesgallery

After looking at the Mission's Trail pics of OO, I'd say that would be great. The last time I was there was in July and it was really hot in the am. Definitely worth it! I didn't make it to the mosques, so that would be tremendous to see!

Hey Ronin----how do you get in, to the private water hole? (wimberly) I'd like to know that one!

Old May 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM

If you go tubing, go early in the day (before the drunks have slept it off) and then leave. It can be a rough crowd. The day we went tubing out of San Marcos was the only day in my life that I've ever thought that forced sterilzation of certain people might be a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -