San Antonio or Austin - New Years

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio or Austin - New Years

I have a business trip next week to Austin and will be finished on Thursday, Dec 30th. I'm not leaving until January 1st so I have a couple of days to enjoy myself and do some sightseeing. I had originally planned on staying in Austin and doing a day trip on the 31st to San Antonio. However, the more I read up on San Antonio the more I think I'd enjoy the history of this city than Austin. I know Austin is also supposed to be a wonderful city to visit.

I'd love some feedback on if I should stick with my original idea and visit San Antonio as a daytrip on New Year's eve or should I stay the night on the 31st and have more time to visit the historical sites of San Antonio?

If I were to stay in San Antonio for New Year's can someone recommend a hotel centrally located in the $100-$150 range?

Thanks, in advance for your help. Happy Holidays to everyone.

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM
dcespedes

If it were me I would zip down to San Antonio for a few days. It's an easy drive and well worth the visit--especially this time of year when the River Walk is lit up for Christmas--the River Walk is beautiful during the day but especially so at night. There's a large party downtown New Years Eve complete with fireworks. Previous posters have had good luck with Drurys Inn and Amerisuites which are both within walking distance of the River. The Alamo Bowl (football) is scheduled next week (12/29?) so if you have trouble with availability that may be why. Of course, you can always do a day trip to San Antonio--we live in S.A. and enjoy day trips to Austin. I hope this helps and you enjoy a safe trip

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 07:56 PM
P_M

I think you will have a fine time in either city. SA has the riverwalk, Austin has 6th Street and the Warehouse District for evening entertainment. I live in Austin, but I'm tempted to recommend SA for reasons already mentioned. I can't help you with hotels as I only visit SA on day trips, but I hope you can find one on such short notice.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 08:44 AM

I hate to be the dissinting voter but I'd go w/ Austin. I like San Antonio but love Austin. If you're looking for a place to party / celebrate, Austin is the better of the two (warehouse or 6th St. areas). Enjoy!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 08:52 AM

There will be 30,000 or so Oklahoma State fans (I'm one of them) in town for the 12/29 Alamo Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join us.....Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk is the spot to be for New Year's Eve......
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM

San Antonio is a one time must do, but you'll enjoy both.
M
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!

I (think) it will be San Antonio after all for New Years. I'll be in Austin for 3 nights and should be able to experience a little of the scene there before I go to San Antonio. I'll be by myself so the focus will be more on history versus the nightlife scene and I think San Antonio offers more in this sense. Called around to several hotels and they are somewhat booked, but the Menger Hotel has a couple of rooms still vacant and it seems like the ultimate in the historical experience. I'll also be able to change my flight to leave from SA versus Austin so I don't have to head back on New Years day.

Thanks also for the tip on New years eve zaneyjaney - maybe I'll pop in for a bit at Dick's Last Resort.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from my trip to Austin and San Antonio and thought I'd thank everyone again and let them know how it turned out.

First of all, I loved Austin. What a wonderful town. Great restaurants, liberal, funky feel - and the people were so friendly. I loved the way they have restored some of the buildings downtown into lofts and people can just stroll around at night and be safe. The live music scene was unbelievable.

San Antonio was equally wonderful. A larger city but with alot of history. My passion is Spain and with all of the spanish colonial architecture I was in heaven. The larger city didn't make the people less friendly either. Riverwalk was beautifully decorated for the holidays. There was a huge New Years eve bash downtown with thoursands of people in the streets and numerous bandstands set up with a different type of music to suit all needs. The weather was incredible - 70's and 80's all day and very comfortable in the evenings. It was drizzly on Sunday but not raining hard.

I was totally surprised and shocked at how much I loved this part of Texas! There are few places in the US that I would consider moving to and this is definately one of them. My friends think I've gone crazy.

I'm already planning on another business trip to Austin in the next quarter and will definately stay a long weekend again.

Thanks again to everyone!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM
P_M

Thanks for the report, CathyM. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay here in Central Texas. Next time bring one of your friends who thinks your're crazy for liking Texas so much.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:43 AM
dcespedes

Nice report, CathyM. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! Hard to believe that one week earlier, Christmas Eve, we were on snow flake patrol. Did the Menger Hotel work out for you?

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I posted on this thread earlier, but now it's gone. Hmm.

Glad you enjoyed your time in Texas Cathy, and we'll look forward to hearing about your next adventure there.