Weekend in San Ynez-Need Hotel Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to spend the weekend in the San Ynez area at the end of this month and would like to find a reasonable and nice place to stay. Have seen the recommendations for the Marriott in Buellton at the Trip Advisor site but wonder if there is something else I am missing. We'd like something under $200. Want to try to not stay in Santa Barbara if that helps.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Froggy,

Try the Royal Scandanavian in Solvang or any of the other numerous hotels in that small city, they might be in the loction you want without paying an arm and a leg.

The Santa Ynez Inn may have rooms that start at that rate if you're lucky... try their website.

Lastly, the Historic Santa Maria Inn usually has rooms under $150.00 and you would be very comfortable. (It's only 10 minutes north of the Wine Trail that you will definately want to visit!)

GOok Luck.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:40 PM

I've never heard of anyone that actually liked the Santa Maria Inn.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I've actually stayed there twice.... the Rotary CLub here puts on a Christmas PArade every year and I have young children. it wokrs for us to have the room... with a sitter so that we have somewhere to warm up or if someone gets tired... they can go straigt to bed!

The hotel is clean, comfortable and has a decent restaurant with good room service. It's also interesting to see the historical photos and memorabilia they've kept over the years from famous guests. Many times they have rates at $79.00 and if I were coming wine tasting and wanted a good hotel for a low rate close to the wine trail... this could be it. May not be for everyone, but it is hard to find something for under $200.00 in this area.

They also have a wine bar dowstairs that is Very nice.

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Yeah, I've never heard anything better than "It's okay." Our group does a three-day golf trip every year and have settled on the Lompoc area for hotels. There is an Embassy Suites that I am sure is less than $200. Admittedly, Lompoc is nothing special, but neither is Santa Maria.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM

The Santa Maria Inn is much better than the Embassy Suites in Lompoc. The shops around it are charming... gift shop, barber shop, clothing etc... and the hotel itself is historic and very nice... not outstanding... but very nice. Worth a try for you , especially if you are settling in Lompoc!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Thanks, moneygirl, but our golfers are not interested in shopping! A few have tried Santa Maria Inn and decided it was "nothing special." Most of them stay at the Lompoc Quality Inn, again nothing special but a bit less, I think our group rate was $62 including bkfst and happy hour. They really are interested in room only. Spend all their money on golf and eating nicely afterwards.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Do come back and try Chef Rick's and The Hitching Post (in Casmalia, not Buellton) when you're needing a good meal! Are you golfing at La Purisima every day or hitting a few different courses?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Have you checked out hotels in Solvang? Most of them are very clean and nice. The Marriott is probably fine, but its basically located on a freeway exit, and $200 a night sounds like a lot for little ambiance.
The Petersen Inn in Solvang is lovely if you can splurge just a bit, or get a deal.
The Best Western in Lompoc is a very good budget choice; my husband stays there frequently on business, and it's in good shape and well kept, and offers a continental breakfast.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Moneygirl- We've enjoyed Chef Rick's, Hitching Post, Mattei's Tavern, and I really liked Sissy's in Lompoc, who would have thought(!) Two of our group were originally from the area so they make the reservations. We rotate courses between Solvang and Pismo, but always include La Purisima, known as the course you love to hate. The Vandenberg Base course has also become a favorite in the past few years.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

As someone who grew up in the Santa Ynez Valley, I would suggest looking for a hotel in either Santa Ynez or Solvang. There are plenty to be found that are in your budget and nice. Some are the Royal Scandinavian Inn, the Holiday Inn Express (just updated), the Santa Ynez Valley Wine Country Inn, to name a few. Buellton is ok but right off the freeway and not much ambience. I would definitely stay in the Valley versus Lompoc or Santa Maria. These towns are a good 20 minutes and 30 minutes away and are nothing compared to the valley. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM

I agree with Marya.