Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara County Wine Country: Lodging...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never too early to start planning, I always say.

For next August. OK, maybe a bit obsessive-compulsive...!

Too bad.

So this is for my husband's (gasp!) 55th birthday celebration. Since we've done Napa and Sonoma, we're thinking it might be fun to go to the wine country of gorgeous Santa Barbara County-- Buellton, Solvang, Santa Ynez, Los Olivos and all the places we drooled over from the film Sideways.

Has anyone here spent time up there in the past year? I'm looking for lodging recommendations. I know there is a rather nice-looking Marriott in Buellton, and that's a strong contender, but if we're overlooking a gem I want to know about it. B&Bs may be problematic, as there may be a need for several rooms (my sister and her family, my MIL and BIL, other friends and family).

We'll talk about dining and winery options next year, naturally. But I like to start locking down the big stuff early. Then I start thinking about the actual birthday present...!!!

Thanks in advance, my friends. You're the best!!
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM

I haven't lived in CA for many years, but when I still did, I loved tasting in the Santa Barbara wine regions.

Check out The Ballard Inn, a wonderful B&B with restaurant. Still seems to get great reviews.

Absolutely be sure to visit Richard Longoria's tasting room in Los Olivos. After 25 years of dedicated wine tasting, he is still my favorite winemaker. Period.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM

PS - does it have to be August? It will be HOT inland.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Santa Ynez Inn or the Hotel Corque or the Hadsen House before even considering that Marriot.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Longoria also has a tasting room in the Lompoc Wine Ghetto.

http://www.lompoctrail.com/index.php...oc-wine-ghetto
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We like the Fess Parker Country Inn in Los Olivos and its very good restaurant, Petros. But it could be spendy for some people.

http://www.fessparkerinn.com/

Alisal Guest Ranch is great for multi-generational groups that like lots of activities options beyond all things wine. It has a nice pool area.

http://www.alisal.com/
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 09:30 AM

What is your budget and are their children as part of this family group?

I wholeheartedly agree: Santa Ynez Inn or the Hotel Corque or the Hadsen House before even considering that Marriot.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM

There is no requirement to partake in activities at Alisal.

Be cautious with the B&Bs if you don't like too much Victorian twee.

But I can't help with any personal recommendations. We have always stayed in Lompoc. Cheaper and well-located but maybe not quite right for a special occasion.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to every response! The places suggested look lovely, so I'm filing them all away to check out later.

Our current target per-room rate will be $180/night (I'm looking at 4-5 nights max), preferably less, but hey-- that could change. The pricier digs you have recommended could be just the ticket if the stars align properly-- or we win Power Ball!

mlgb: "Victorian twee"-- I love that! I hear you, but we love the B&B scene once in a while. That's why we always stay at the Inn on Castro in San Francisco. And we're not going to rule out Lompoc, although this one time we're focusing on tonier accommodations.

Thanks again-- I knew I could count on the Fodors crew!
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 10:52 AM

You can get a nice suite at the Embassy Suites in Lompoc for that

And you'll be near the Wine Ghetto. Sissy's is a nice cafe there and they have a good wine selection.

It isn't far to either of the Hitching Posts. You have to try the Casmalia one if you've never been.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM

mlgb -

Oh wow! The Hitching Post in Casmalia! My then-husband and I went in there one night on a local's recommendation. That was 35 years ago. What a place, what an experience and what a great steak.

Is Casmalia still a one-horse town?
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 07:10 AM

The town hasn't changed a bit, Dayle.

I don't think the menu has either.

The other Hitching Post in Buellton is the one that the movie was filmed at, however. It is good but I like the vintage experience in Casmalia.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM

I've been to the Hitching Post in Buellton a couple of times and it's nothing like the original - where the local ranchers wore their rancher gear and belt buckles nearly as big as the steaks!

rjw - sorry I completely missed that this is a large family event and recommended the pricey Ballard Inn. Agree though about the Marriott. Tour bus central.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll want to stop and enjoy the up-and-coming dining scene in tiny Los Alamos, as well.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

More food (and wine) for thought...!

As this is still in the baby-steps planning stages, everything is up in the air. Except us. All of us will be driving in-- my sister and her brood may be coming down in an RV (mind you, a HUGE honking RV that will require parking and hook-ups), which could be a bit of a complication. My sister's kids are two lovely teenage girls and their drinking-age older brother (my siblings all make very pretty children); my brother-in-law has two toddler girls (button-cute and, right now, unusually well-behaved). We might need some family-friendly activities in-between the wine tastings, obviously. And everyone will appreciate a wallet-friendly vacation.

Now this doesn't sound too hard, does it?!

Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated and will be very useful. Oh, and Dayle-- August heat won't bother any of us. It can't be any hotter than what we had to deal with this past August at home in Long Beach...!!
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Flying Flags in Buellton?

http://www.flyingflags.com/
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM

mlgb: The Hitching Post in Casmalia has added scallops to their regular menu and they are AMAZING!!! Come visit... we can have a gtg there!
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What is the name of the place in Guadalupe? Went their 30+ years ago when I was at Cal Poly. I may be down that way next week.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM

MichelleY: The Far Western Tavern has beenr elocated to Old Town Orcutt. They still have the best steak sandwich around!
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM

Rick Longoria isn't in the Wine Ghetto anymore; he built his own winery and has moved over there. It is just down the street from the Wine Ghetto. http://www.longoriawine.com/visit.php

For the OP, not sure if you have considered vacation rentals, but there are a few big ones and some of them look pretty tony. You can see them on vrbo. You'd just need to be sure they'd let you bring an RV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -