Weekend in October to Nashville, TN for 40th birthday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help on which hotel is best; Holiday Inn Express and Suites near Opryland or Best Western Suites near opryland. Planning on taking around 1st of October not sure what weather may be like. Also need ideas on things to do during the day and night. Kind of laid back just looking to have a nice romantic fun filled couple of days. We are not lovers on country music but love R&B, hip hop, soul, blues music. Also love to drink. Just need any suggestions.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 09:43 AM

My main question - why are you planning to stay near Opryland? The only things out there of interest to tourists are the hotel, the Opry itself and the mall. It's 20-30 minutes away from downtown, which is where most of the tourist attractions (including honky-tonks/bars on Lower Broadway) are.

I can't give specific hotel recommendations because I live here and haven't stayed in one, but there are quite a few options downtown that probably would be better for your needs - a Hampton Inn, a Hilton, a Best Western, a Sheraton, and several more, I believe.

The weather in early October is generally great, unless you hit a rain spell.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Why oh why would you stay near Opryland if you 1, like to drink and 2, do not like country music so you most likely won't go see the Grand Ole Opry?
Opryland is so far from downtown where you will want to be.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 10:13 AM

jent beat me to it--of all the areas to stay in Nashville, the Opryland area is my least favorite! It looks like any suburban commercial interchange and could be almost anywhere.

I will tell you that hotel prices, especially downtown, might give you sticker shock. I am spending a long weekend there in October also, just as I did last October. We stayed in Brentwood last year and for the trip next month, I found an AirBnB. If it helps, there is a sold-out four nights in a row at the Ryman downtown October 23rd--26th, but I don't know that would have an impact on hotel occupancy or prices.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 11:46 AM

musicfan - I bet it does affect the prices, at least a little. It's Jason Isbell, who is really fantastic, and people have really started coming from all over to Ryman shows, especially these multi-night runs. Which I totally get, because I LOVE the Ryman too, but it makes it harder for locals to get tickets!

I'm glad you got an Airbnb! There are some really good options there. The city is trying to figure out whether/how to regulate them (as in many places) so we'll see what happens long-term, but for now it can be a great option.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 10:18 AM

Vanderbilt reunion is that weekend as well.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 03:14 PM

If you like wine, go out to Arrington Vineyard one evening. Bring a picnic dinner and watch the sunset while you enjoy live music and a bottle of wine!
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 03:25 PM

Just remembered I posted on this thread...found it looking for somewhere to eat tomorrow night as I am in Nashville now. Any thoughts on Puckett's Grocery?
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Puckett's is good - traditional Southern food at reasonable prices. Are you wanting to stay downtown, musicfan? Any places you've been and liked already?
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 09:41 PM

Hi Jen, thanks. I am just now seeing your response as I have been out and about all day. I ended up meeting a friend for a nice long lunch at Germantown Cafe, but I did stop by Puckett's for a cocktail (or 3) and an appetizer before the concert--I was still full from lunch!
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Oh good! I'm glad Germantown Cafe is still doing good business. It was one of the first places in Germantown and deserves credit for that, and I'm a little afraid it'll get lost in all the hot new places opening up in that area.

Did you see Jason Isbell? I saw him at the Ryman last year but missed out on tickets this year. He's amazing.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Yes, Jen, I did, all four shows! Incredible. I'm going to attempt a trip report on this long weekend.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 05:20 PM

Oh, wow! Now I'm a little jealous! That's amazing. Looking forward to the trip report!