Weekday evening escape from NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was given a challenge by a friend, so of course I turn to my fellow Fodorites!

Weary New Yorkers who can't take any vacation days now need some late summer fun. Want to get OUT of the city, but can't even spare an overnight in the next couple of weeks. Where to drive after work within about an hour of the city where we can find an outdoor pool open late (till 8 pm at least) or a lake with or without boating, or something equally summer-y and fun,( and near places to have a bite too--or picnic)?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:12 AM

How about Nyack? It's a quaint little town on the Hudson River. There are some historic buildings, some shops, restaurants on the water. I've stayed at what I think was a Holiday Inn Sundome there, which I wouldn't recommend because it had been used as dormitories and was a mess, but maybe there are some B&Bs up that way or other hotels. It's about 40 minutes north on the Palisades Parkway.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM

I think Tandoori girl missed the part that they don't even want to spend the night. Wow. What a challenge. What about the Staten Island Ferry over for a nice walk and picnic? It could seem like miles away. Or even up to the Cloisters for an evening under the stars -- champagne and picnic? Who needs the added tension of driving in and out of the city for a single evening of relaxation?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:22 PM

Patrick touched on the real issue, getting an hour away during rush hour. On some nights if you're driving you might just about make it through one of the tunnels or over the bridge.

So here's my suggestion - WHY LEAVE THE CITY AT ALL? Central Park will be just as nice, maybe nicer, than any of the spots you might encounter elsewhere. Grab a picnic and maybe head towards one of the numerous interesting spots in the park such as Belvedere Castle.

Ok, so you really want to get out of the city and the Central Park idea doesn't work. Then I'd suggest you rent a car and head towards the Point Pleasant boardwalk. (Leave early, like by 4 and beat the traffic. It's about 70 miles from my office at 57th and Madison.) Grab a cocktail on the patio of the Wharfside restaurant, have a nice lobster dinner inside, then head over to the Boardwalk from some skee-ball or frogger.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

It's a tough one, I know...

Tandoori_Girl, I'm a big Nyack fan myself but mostly for brunch/shopping type excursions.

Patrick's correct, they're not looking for an overnight, just a pretty place to sit by the waterside and let the evening pass by before returning to the city.I guess this would be the NON-urban equivalent of all those hotel rooftop bars IN the city...

The places I thought of, like lakes in Harriman state park, close up by 5 or 6 so there's no swimmimg time possible. I was hoping someone could direct us to some lesser known bodies of water--even a town pool that might be open to the general public--that stays open later.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Ryan-- I missed your answer while I was posting myself. I know the leaving the city part at rush hours is kinda nuts, but...

The problem with the picnic in the park scenario is that they've done it just too many times this summer--as have I!

Point Pleasant is a possibility, but maybe a little too ambitious. Not sure about being able making it out by 4...

Another suggestion I came up with is Rye Playland--which does have it's own beach (though it actually closes up--closed fence and all--by 6, I think.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:31 PM

I will recommend my favorite Rockland County restaurants ..
Piermont, next door to Nyack. Drive along the Palisades Pkwy. Stop on the way to town at Tallman State Park, take a nice walk, they have a pool.
Or just walk along the river out on the Pier road in Piermont.
Have dinner at the Freelance Cafe.
Excellent wine, service and very very good food. You might even get a glimpse of a local celeb.
Farther up in Congers NY is the lovely restaurant X..used to be Bully Boys and the X people took over the building. Wonderful atmosphere, great food. (same owners as the Freelance Cafe)
sigh~ I wish I could run over there now for some tempura sushi and grilled tuna with garlic mashed potatoes and molten chocolate cake..or their not to be missed mussels in white wine and cream..
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:21 PM

Janie, I can empathize with your situation. One of the things needed to maintain your sanity when you live and work in NYC is to be able to get out of NYC on a regular basis.

Certainly the Cloisters suggestion would work and provide some country-like solitude.

Another option, although I can't vouch for the operating times, is the Pioneer. It's a single-masted schooner that operates out of the South Street Seaport. If that doesn't work, there are other sail-boats that ply the waters of NY harbor. Maybe being out on the breeze of NY Harbor can get you a taste of summer.

I believe it is more applicable to the weekend, but the NY Botanical Garden in the Bronx is really nice for a few hours away.

Please take the following as the unsolicited advice of a rehabilitated investment banker - THERE REALLY IS MORE TO LIFE! Go out enjoy life! The deal will still be there, the firm will survive your night away, and liefe really it to short.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM

What about a ride out to Atlantic Beach or Long Beach. Picnic on the beach.

Or go to Jones Beach for a while, and then head over for an 8 pm concert.

A train to Spring Lake NJ. Peel & eat shrimp at the Parker House and a walk on the beach.

Or Seaside where they have a nice boardwalk.

Or, you can pay the $50 guest fee and spend the evening at Chelsea piers. Indoor pool overlooking the hudson, and a deck out back as well. You can go in the sauna and steam room, work out, play sand volleyball, and then head over to tribecca for an outdoor barbeque at Lunch Box.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:25 PM

Ryan, you reminded me of the saying, ".. No man on his death bed ever said 'I only wish I'd spent more time at work'...

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

keep 'em coming!

I guess we're just a bunch of jaded city people sometimes but all the great stuff that keeps us living here does get "old" sometimes.

Scarlett--alas the pool at Tallman closes early too. It's such an underused one too. There's got to be SOME Pool or swimming lake open late within 50 miles of the city

*sigh*...
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:50 PM

We have had the same problem this summer and with the weather so cold all summer we have YET to make it out to the BEACH!!!! We are usually there at least one day each weekend, so that will give you an idea of the weather we have had this summer.

The Cloisters is a really good suggestion and you really do feel a world away. I would also suggest the restaurants on the Hudson in the Financial District, really pretty views of the river from there, and easier to get to.

Harriman State Park is also a good suggestion and it's pretty easy to get there.

You can't do an overnight away, but howabout an over night in the city at one of the hotels that has a pool. Try looking at hotels.com for some great prices that are being offered right now.

We're headed to Bryant Park tonight for a movie/picnic. The movie is The Big Sleep and it's the last movie of the season so we don't want to miss our last evening.

I would also suggest heading out to Jones Beach since you can get in the water there later and still get a quick shower and eat at the seafood restaurant there which is pretty good or find a cute restaurant in the area.

Another suggestion would be a LI Railroad ride out to the ferry and a ride over to Fire Island. There are several nice restaurants on the island and you can take the last ferry back.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM

Hey Janie:

Had the same problem the other night..

Picked my boyfriend up on 72nd & 5th (he was at the jazz cncrt. in the prk) and we headed north. Jumped on 95 and in 20 minutes were were in City Island.. In know most people forget about this place but it reminds me of a old New England ship building town..but better it's in Da Bronx!

Of course it was jammin..Tito Puente's, Lobster Box...but it was reall humid & we wanted to have a nice dinner on the water..without the crowds..

We found it..a little Italian Oasis called Portofino's. Good food...great service...and we sat outside with a great view of the boats & Long Island Sound..
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:04 PM

This is a challenge - with sunset at 7:43, I think it would be extremely difficult to find a lake or public pool that would be open to swimmers. This time of year, some of the pools in my area close earlier (between 6 & 7) because the lifeguards are heading back to college. Wish I could help - good luck!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM

I know you said no overnight, but it just sounds like it would make so much more sense to stay a night at one of the hotels in Westchester with a pool, grounds, etc. (Hilton Tarrytown, Dorral Arrowwood in Rye, etc.) and then they could either drive or just jump on metro-north and go straight to work the next morning?

New York Health and Racquet Club has a beach club in New Rochelle - they might allow nonmembers to pay per day.
http://www.hrcbest.com/html/main.jsp (click on Escapes -- beach club).
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:49 PM

Inexcusably disregardful of content of your request: what about Brighton Beach here inside our city limits? take the Q to the end of the line. I don't know if you are stopped from swimming in the ocean if there is no lifeguard, and I don't know when the lifeguards go home, but it is the ocean (not a lake or a pool) and there are lots of Russian restaurants.