Search

Which NYC hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which NYC hotel?

Could anyone comment on the relative merits of the Omni Berkshire, Waldorf Astoria, Essex House and Royalton?

All seem fairly conveniently located and are available within my budget for the dates I'm travelling, so I'm not sure how to decide.

In particular, any comments on the fitness clubs at each?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:28 PM

I have a special fondness for the Omni Berkshire. It used to be a client of mine. They don't do a lot of conferences, which means that they can focus on the sleeping guest. I think it is a lovely hotel with nice service. Smaller than some of your other choices. You won't be disappointed.

The Waldorf is mixed. The lobby is stunning and seems to be where all of the money is. Many of the rooms are older, small and in need of renovation, although some are perfectly nice. I think it is overrated.

The Royalton has its history, a great bar and a certain hipness to it. Other than that, I have no experience.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:28 PM

The main comment I'd have is that the first three you mention are all "older crowd" more staid hotels. The Royalton is quite young and hip. I'm not sure which might suit you better.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:30 PM

I can only comment on the Essex House, our hotel for the weekend a few weeks ago. Our stay was incredible, everything I had hoped for and more. We had a marvelous view of the park (and The Gates) from our 10th floor room. They even let us check in early, 10am, without even a raised eyebrow. The service was courteous, respectful and efficient with none of the haughtiness that sometimes is experienced in New York. The huge king bed, triple sheeted, lots of pillows and duvet, lived up to its "heavenly" name. Some might think the bathroom to be be on the small side, but I particularly liked the marble vanity and lighted wall mounted makeup mirror, robes for both of us and double headed shower head. Downstairs, Cafe Botanica served us a delicious prix fixe three course lunch for $25. Best of all, the location right across from the park, can't be beat. Sorry, we didn't check out the fitness club - we walked for five hours every day!
Maggi
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:06 AM

The Royalton is in the general area of the theaters. It's very modern and trendy. You will see limos parked outside at night for the bar. It's on a street with a lot of other hotels (the Algonquin, the Iroquois, the City Club, the Sofitel) many of which have either a nice destination restaurant (DB Bistro Moderne in the City Club) or bar (the Algonquin has a cabaret and is a great place for a drink).

I would omit the Waldorf. It's just too tired and it gets lousy reviews on tripadvisor. The public spaces are nice but other than that, nothing to recommend it IMO.

The Essex House sits in front of Central Park and indeed if you get a park view, it's awesome. They also have 2 very nice restaurants. It's a big(ish) hotel that gets weddings etc. in the ballrooms. It's very centrally located for theaters, shopping midtown, Lincoln Center and the Upper West side but a walk to any of them.

The Omni Berkshire I would say is quiet elegance and convenient, especially for shopping. There is a crosstown bus on 49/50 sts. if you want to get to the theaters and don't want to walk or cab.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments; we chose Essex House (Omni Berkshire wasn't available by the time I came to book). Now there are just the shows and restaurants to choose!