Week-long budget trip ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, both in our late 20's, plan to take a vacation in early March for about a week. We're from the Northeast, and currently live in FL, so we'd like to do something outside of these areas. We're on a small budget. We both play golf, but that's not something we have to do, we enjoy the outdoors, but probably wouldn't want to do any extensive hiking... We're really pretty open. Any ideas for a fun trip on a small budget?
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should be a little more specific about a "small budget." I'd say, as close to a couple thousand, total (spending money, hotel and air or driving), as possible. So probably staying in B&B's or small motels, maybe no rental car, lots of free things to see and do.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM

I would consider Vegas. Depending on whether there are conventions going on, you may be able to find a good price on a room from Sunday night through Thursday night. Whether you would want to spend that much time in Vegas I don't know. It is certainly an interesting place to visit. Just walking through all of the mega hotels is an adventure. You could get buy without a car. The airport is at the edge of town. You can either walk or ride a bus anywhere you need to go on the Strip. Do you live near an airport that Southwest Airlines flies to? If so, they often have great rates to Las Vegas. If you decide to go to Vegas there are some websites you can check out to find out less expensive places to eat and free attractions.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
cd

Living in Florida, the obvious would be cruises to anywhere in the Caribbean. Or have you been to New Orleans? YOu could easily drive there from Florida and it's a great place to visit with lots to do. How about Savannah?
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:32 PM

How about exploring Tucson? Lot's of
golfing,easy & beautiful hikes in Sabino Canyon and on Mt. Lemmon, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is a world class animal habitat,horseback riding
rentals are plentiful, or even bike rentals. You could do a day trip down to Bisbee and a night at the Copper Queen-or 2 nights in Ramsey Canyon.
All these places have websites, and you can always do a google search.
Southwest & America West can have good deals so get on their e-mail lists for
updates. Also, if you enter 'Tucson' in the search box of this forum you get lots of previous posts.
Enjoy!
R5
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I like the Vegas idea. Not overly expensive. When we go we don't even spend a couple of thousand. We aren't big gamblers either. I do like to go to some of the shows and sightsee. You can always find some good deals to Vegas. I know someone who goes to Vegas and golfs too. If you need any ideas on where to stay, just let us know. I recommend these hotels: Aladdin, Treasure Island, NY NY, Venetian-(use priceline for Venetian)& Bellagio-one of the most expensive hotels in Vegas.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention, we've been to Vegas, and while it's very tempting to go back, we'd love to try something new, if possible. We'll definitely go back one day. We had a great time. We also had a lot more money to burn (on gambling) back then. Now we'd probably be nervous the whole time about losing too much money.

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Hi fllady
My husband and I are in our early 30's and love to travel together. One of our favorite trips was Washington,D.C. Have you thought about going there? You could fly there and then use the subway to get around, plus lots of walking. I think being there in March would be a wonderful time of year to visit since the weather would be nice. Just about everything you can think of to see in DC is free-the Smithsonian museums, for example. I really do believe you could make this work on a tight budget b/c we did it ourselves a few years ago!

One other option I'd suggest would be to consider going to London or Paris. In March, you'd possibly be able to get some great prices on flights and hotels since this would be before the high tourist season. My husband and I first went to London in March, 1999, and had the best time. The weather was cold but not freezing and we actually saw very little rain. London is fascinating and getting a tube pass for 7 days or so is a good deal for transportation (also covers buses). Hotels and food will be a bit high b/c of the pound/dollar issues, but there are bargains to be found over there. We went back to London just this past June and used priceline.com to get a great deal on a hotel. You might check out the Fodors Europe board for more ideas.