Wedding Anniversary Trip to Maui

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Wedding Anniversary Trip to Maui

Hello All:
Looking to get some advice. I am planning a trip to Maui for wife and i to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the end of April. We have never been to Hawaii so this is a first for us. Our plan is to be there for 5 days, 4 nights so not a lot of time.

I would love some advice on places that we can stay and what we can do during our time there. What are some of the experiences that we should plan for while we are there without the kids?. hiking, beaches, spas, restaurants recommendations would be great. If there are existing threads where i can get this information, pls point me to those.
Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 05:13 PM

A couple locations to suggest...Wailea has several upscale hotels and is a lovely area although tends to be pretty quiet at night. The Kaanapali Beach area has a number of hotels (Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton are a couple). Most, if not all, of those hotels also have shuttles into the town of Lahaina which is an old whaling town with lots of shops to poke around in as well as many restaurants.Expect to pay a resort fee any place. For a special meal head to Mama's Fish House. Make reservations ahead of time - like weeks- and mention your anniversary , and you can probably get a table along the window. Instead of dinner, go for lunch and you can see the beach and watch the windsurfers on the water. After a meal there, you won't need more than an appetizer for dinner. The Pacific Whale Foundation in Lahaina has nice sunset cocktail cruises as well as dinner cruises, and you will learn a lot about whales. Going to the top of the Haleakala volcano is a great experience, and it is chilly/cold at the top. Enjoy!
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 05:46 PM

You'll need a rental car.

Don't miss Haleakala. And either Feast of Lele or Old Lahaina Luau are fun, if you're interested in a show/luau.

When I went with my family we chose Lahaina to stay because we wanted to be near a town where we could go out on foot individually or as smaller groups without always being tied to the car.

Old Feb 11th, 2020, 01:58 PM

and it is chilly/cold at the top
Early morning and maybe late afternoon, but during the day, it can be very warm.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:58 PM

For sure you should do a sunset cruise- Pacific Whale Foundation has a whale watch watch evening cruise we enjoyed. We also enjoyed a snorkel cruise with them. I like to spend as much time on the water that I can. They will likely take you to Molokini Crater to snorkel or Shark Fin Cove if its too windy at Molokini.

Merrimans is also a nice restaurant for a special evening- or happy hour is great too. We have made a whole dinner out of happy hour. Nice outdoor seating with ocean views- sometimes you will see whales breaching for your evening entertainment.

I avoid the fancy high rise hotels and like to stay at a more low key place. Last time we stayed at the Papakea- older, low rise but units were nice with full kitchens. No restaurant. There are several fast food restaurants and a grocery store close by. There is also an ABC store. ABC stores in Hawaii are a great place for buying inexpensive souvenirs, beach towels, sun tan lotion, macadamia nuts, wine- and most of them have a food counter when you can get hot food to go, or sandwiches if you want to get a cooler and head to the beach for the day.

One of my favorite things to do is go to a Hawaiian church-Waiola Church which is in Lahaina. It was founded in 1823 by a Hawaiian High Priestess. The service is part English and part Hawaiian. There is a cemetery next door where many of the missionaries are buried as well as many of the royal Hawaiian family. Following the service, you will be invited for coffee and there will be a buffet of food provided by the members Beautiful spot!

And of course you should go to a luau. We went to Old Lahaina Luau- very nice- book early as they do sell out.

Aloha
Have a wonderful time
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 01:34 PM

I think late April might be a little late for whale watching but a sunset cruise even without the whales is pretty nice. We did one when we were in Maui in September. I second the Merriman's recommendation. We loved it both for the food and atmosphere. We went twice during our week stay and they were the best two meals we had.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your inputs, really appreciate it.