Buying local beer at O'Hare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-- I'll be visiting Chicago in a few weeks, and I'd like to bring my husband home some local beer. I'll have a carry-on, so I need to buy it at the airport. Can anyone tell me whether I can buy local beer at terminal 2? I see that Goose Island is at terminals 1 and 3... Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 03:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm confused. You mean you are trying to buy beer at the airport, then take it in your carry-on onto the plane with you?
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes, exactly! I want to bring some home to my husband as a souvenir.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 06:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have an answer but was curious about this, so I looked around a bit on the O'hare website and a forum from the BeerAdvocate site. I found no definitive answer. In any case both sites were catering to people who just want to drink at the airport, which is never a problem!

But you might contact one of the Goose Island locations in the other terminals and see what they sell. They may have bottles to go or perhaps even they'd make a 32 oz "crowler" for you?? A lot of our Colorado breweries are doing that now. Unlikely but worth a phone call. I think (?) you can get between terminals without passing through security.

Also, perhaps one of the Chicago souvenir stores would sell it? For example I know you can (or at least used to) buy California wines and even beer in SFO at general purpose California souvenir stores. Good luck.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 11:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Duty Free has spirits but I could not find any evidence they sell beer. If they do, It likely would not be small local craft beers but brands sold by the major distributors.

You might need to cal or e-mail ORD to ask specifically.
Customer Service Phone: O'Hare Intl. (800) 832-6352 Email:[email protected]

Or contact them via ORD's facebook or twitter accounts.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 11:41 AM

Oh - and yes of course one can take full sized liquids on the plane
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 11:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
removed... thanks... sorry
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Haha, it sounds like you struck out on the same sites I did. Did you mean Chicago souvenir stores in the airport? I didn't know there were any there-- great! I'll contact Goose Island-- thanks for the suggestion!

I don't have an answer but was curious about this, so I looked around a bit on the O'hare website and a forum from the BeerAdvocate site. I found no definitive answer. In any case both sites were catering to people who just want to drink at the airport, which is never a problem!

But you might contact one of the Goose Island locations in the other terminals and see what they sell. They may have bottles to go or perhaps even they'd make a 32 oz "crowler" for you?? A lot of our Colorado breweries are doing that now. Unlikely but worth a phone call. I think (?) you can get between terminals without passing through security.

Also, perhaps one of the Chicago souvenir stores would sell it? For example I know you can (or at least used to) buy California wines and even beer in SFO at general purpose California souvenir stores. Good luck.

Last edited by Abracat; Feb 1st, 2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I'll be travelling with a carry-on, so my fingers are crossed I can find something past TSA. Thank you for the contact info above^^
Oh - and yes of course one can take full sized liquids on the plane

Last edited by Abracat; Feb 1st, 2019 at 02:59 AM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 07:44 AM

You might want to look at your local liquor store. I think we have Goose Island in ours.

I'm confused though: Can we now take larger liquids on the plane? I even had booze confiscated (a number of years back) bought at duty free.
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 08:37 AM

>>I'm confused though: Can we now take larger liquids on the plane? I even had booze confiscated (a number of years back) bought at duty free.
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 08:40 AM

And I agree -- if you are asking specifically about Goose Island . . . My local Bevmo in northern California carries it . . . even one of the nicer grocery chains carries the IPA
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, but it's more fun to bring it home as a gift.

Originally Posted by Bitter
You might want to look at your local liquor store. I think we have Goose Island in ours.

I'm confused though: Can we now take larger liquids on the plane? I even had booze confiscated (a number of years back) bought at duty free.
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh, it doesn't have to be Goose Island specifically-- I just happened to see that they had outlets at the other terminals (not mine, boo!).

Originally Posted by janisj
And I agree -- if you are asking specifically about Goose Island . . . My local Bevmo in northern California carries it . . . even one of the nicer grocery chains carries the IPA
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 06:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I think it's great you want to bring beer home for your husband! I do bring chocolate for my wife!

I'm in Colorado and New Belgium has a hub by the gates at Denver International where you can get bottled beer. See menu:
https://www.flydenver.com/enjoy_rela...ew-belgium-hub

And here is the gift shop in SFO that has "Gourmet food, wine and gifts made in California". My recollection is that they had beer as well, though I may be mistaken.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/california-lifestyle

This doesn't answer your O'Hare question, but there is hope. Good luck.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nelson
Well, I think it's great you want to bring beer home for your husband! I do bring chocolate for my wife!

I'm in Colorado and New Belgium has a hub by the gates at Denver International where you can get bottled beer. See menu:
https://www.flydenver.com/enjoy_rela...ew-belgium-hub

And here is the gift shop in SFO that has "Gourmet food, wine and gifts made in California". My recollection is that they had beer as well, though I may be mistaken.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/california-lifestyle

This doesn't answer your O'Hare question, but there is hope. Good luck.
I keep notes for future trips, so I will keep this-- thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 03:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I see Goose Island for sale all over the US now.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I see Goose Island for sale all over the US now.
Thank you, but it's more fun to bring it back as a souvenir.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Abracat
Hi-- I'll be visiting Chicago in a few weeks, and I'd like to bring my husband home some local beer. I'll have a carry-on, so I need to buy it at the airport. Can anyone tell me whether I can buy local beer at terminal 2? I see that Goose Island is at terminals 1 and 3... Thanks in advance!
Hey; were you able to find any? I recently when to O’Hare and literally googled this to see where to buy any for my husband too. I walked all the way to concourse L9 to purchase it at Goose Island and was told I could not take bottled beer with me they could only serve it in a cup. The lady at the bar was extremely rude about it too. I told her it was for my husband and she said “husband has to be here, I have to check his ID”. I was dumbfounded at her rudeness as I’m clearly traveling alone. I’m disappointed but it is what it is.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:08 AM

Welcome to Fodors. The thread you topped is a year old . . . but in any case this part is really off base: " "The lady at the bar was extremely rude about it too. I told her it was for my husband and she said “husband has to be here, I have to check his ID”. I was dumbfounded at her rudeness as I’m clearly traveling alone. I’m disappointed but it is what it is."

They absolutely must check IDs - they could lose their liquor license if they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -