Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

20th wedding anniversary trip for entire wedding party (midwest)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this year and are kicking around the idea of inviting (at our expense) our wedding party and their spouses to a weekend get away. It would involve approximately 10 couples who still like to eat, drink and be merry! Most of us enjoy golf and the rest enjoy relaxing by a pool or shopping. Sports is also a common love of everyone. We would like to keep it in the Iowa/Illinois/Southern Wisconsin region as this would be the easiest travel for all. Looking for ideas for late summertime! Thought about Chicago and a Cubs game but realize the possibility of getting that many tickets is about nil. Any other ideas?
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM
JJ5

I can think of one tremendous place or two in Michigan but here goes for what you asked:

WI- Lake Lawn Lodge at Lake Geneva
higher end and very groomed-(everything you might want but possibly the shopping).

IL- Indian Lakes Resort/Hotel in Chicago suburban area. (We did SuperBowl Weekend here one year and it is nice year round.)

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM

How fun!

How about renting a rooftop at Wrigley? It would cost about $125 per person, which includes food/booze. We have had the best times there. If you like the idea, I can get more info for you (can't remember who we usually use... something like beyondtheivy.com).

Kristy
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Kristy - A rooftop would be fun! Hadn't thought about that, please reply with info or an e-mail! I'm still open to other ideas as this "adventure" is still in the infant stage. Come on Midwesterners, what's your favorite weekend retreat??

JJ5 - I'll check out your suggestion. I agree that MI has some great places but fighting the weekend traffic around the south part of Chicago always starts the weekend off bad.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

TTT

Bumping this qustion up (one time only I promise) in the thought that most midwesterners were digging out from snow when I posted it. Hope all on the East coast "weathered" their end of the storm.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:19 AM
JJ5

Budget would be a consideration, but with all ten couples- you could do a dinner cruise on Lake Michigan out of Chicago that would REALLY be nifty. There are some smaller and leaseable yachts that cater parties this way, but of course you would need to find rooms downtown for at least 1 night also. Group rates might make it possible. We've done this on the Mussette with a party of about 35 or 40.

I, myself, would go for one of the golf resorts that abound west, north, or northwest of Chicago. Access/ problems the least, plus you have swimming, spa, golf etc. all right there. Indian Lakes is only one of many- but I like that one especially as it has a beautiful atrium (very large) that regardless of weather gives occasions for strolls, cards/board games, bars, dancing in the evenings etc.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:38 AM

how about the Grand Hotel in Mackinaw. They have great package prices for a group. It is a wonderful place, expecially in the fall.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM

We have been to Lake Lawn Lodge many times and it is a nice place to go with a group. We also really like the Grand Geneva which has a great spa. Another option in downtown Lake Geneva is The Cove. They have two bedroom suites for about the same price (maybe even cheaper) than a room at the Grand Geneva. Could save you money if you had a couple of couples share a room. They have suites with private bedrooms and 2 bathrooms so it wouldn't be uncomfortable. Plus, they all have kitchenettes if you wanted to have snacks and drinks available.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:57 PM

How about the Kohler Lodge in WI? Do a search on this board and you will find lots of info.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:19 PM

It's a bit out of your "midwest" region, but there is a fabulous B&B in horse country Kentucky that sleeps 20 that you can do a "house rental". They have some very fun murder mystery parties that you can do with a group that size that would be somewhat adventurous, and you can bring all your own alcohol. We rented the house last New Year's with 12 friends and had a blast with the game and fellowship (I did a trip report on fodors). The innkeepers are great and the food is fantastic. (www.maplehillmanor.com)

It may be too far away though, maybe there is someplace similiar in the Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin area.

Best wishes!
Cindy