Weather in New York Feb

Search

Weather in New York Feb

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in New York Feb

Hi - I'm trying to get a two week Frequent Flyer funded trip to NY together. Unfortunately hotels are v. expensive. I have found a well recommended studio apartment, but the most economical time to go is Feb. Could anyone tell me if NYC is a no go zone weather wise in Feb. I don't mind cold, but I do mind hail, sleet and continuous rain. If it is, say, usually cold but sunny I can rug up in a coat and woolies and I'll be fine. Your advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Weather in February in New York is very unpredictable. It can be mild or freezing cold. Go to www.wunderground.com type in "New York, NY" in the search box, scroll down to the Almanac/historical section, use the drop down box and select February and you can find the actual weather conditions for every day in February for the last 10 years. You can then decide if the weather suits your desires.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM

"I don't mind cold, but I do mind hail, sleet and continuous rain."

Well, we can at least reassure you that the chance of hail is extremely remote. Rain and sleet, on the other hand, can be expected a couple of times a week.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I agree: Hail would be very unusual.

Rain - Doubt if there woulld be too much at that time. More in the spring. Cold - yes and you never know if there will be snow. But there are so many things to do inside. And, it's not like people stay in their homes!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM

I don't know what the statistics say, but it seems to me that February is generally the coldest and possibly snowiest month in NYC. If wet, cold weather bothers you, it's definitely not the time you want to be here
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

checked out the historical weather section on www.wunderground.com and it seems as though earliest Feb is the least likely time to get rain or snow and there is a very good chance of sunshine. Given that it will be stinking hot in my home town and might be a good (albeit extreme) respite.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Bring your long underwear (or go buy some).

My husband and I went to Vienna in November. It was freezing. But we had the best, best time. If you can only afford to come to New York in Feb., I say DO IT!!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. I tend to agree with Kenav. I just can't afford US$250+ prices for accommodation at better times of the year - one of the problems in being a lone traveller. But it will be so different from home that I think I will enjoy the experience - we never get snow here except on the highest peaks in the coldest months, so the novelty will be exciting. Also I just spoke to Qantas and I can do a stopover in Hawaii on the way back to warm my bones before arriving back in Australia - which will still be v. warm. The other choice is a stopover in Chicago - but I imagine that would be even colder than NY?????
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Yes, Chicago is one of the coldest spots. Colder than NY. Perhaps you could come here to NY in March instead of Feb? No guarantee of warmer weather, though. Have you heard about Radio City Apartments? Web site: radiocityapartments.com

Heard good things about this on this forum - but seems you really have to book way in advance. Gets sold out fast. Never went there myself as I live here in NYC so I don't need a hotel room (obviously).

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM

February is usually the coldest month of the year in NYC. As for precipitation, you're far more like to have snow that rain or sleet in February.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Chicago is way cold, and btw, we just returned from a trip to NYC in mid-March, when we experienced record cold. So for me, the diff between Feb and March is immaterial.

As you say, Danielle, you might enjoy the contrast to what you're used to, and if not, well, you'll have dramatic tales of bone-chilling cold to recount! NYC is magical in the snow...
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM

You won;t get hail- but will very likely get sleet, snow, ice, cold temps and frequently lots of wind.

Don;t know what you mean by cold - but daytime is usually in the 30's - at nights it can go down to zero.

Now - you may get a week of cold sunshine - but you could also get a week with icy drizzle or snow showers every day. In two weeks there is a 90% chance you will get at least some sleet/snow.

If you don;t want to deal with snow come April or later. You can get rain anytime of year.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM

OOO...we just got back from a mid April trip and it was pretty chilly! I guess a lot has to do with what you love, but to me NYC is all about walking till my feet are numb. Watching people play for hours in Central Park. The fish markets along Canal street. Kids are still in school here till mid or end of May- the first week in May could be a very, very good time. There are cheaper ways to do everything- Priceline for hotels, those FF points can be exchanged for hotel points as well. I just used my Priority points to fund one night and the other 3 nights, I got a big bonus on points with a promotion. That enabled me to get a free night in Munich this summer! Things are definitely $$$ but you can get a Metro Card for subways and buses. There are lots of small delis and diners tucked in tiny places around the city. Keep getting creative with your planning and search for insider tips.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM

As far as money is concerned in NYC - There are many cheap places to eat. Typical breakfast in a neighborhood coffee shop $3.95 - $6.95 with juice coffee/tea, eggs, bacon and toast.

I'm sure there are "Affordable New York" books out there. I don't know them because I live in NYC and am not site-seeing. Perhaps someone on this forum can direct you to these books. That way, you will get a real NY experience and not pay "Times Square Tourist" prices.

Also, just walking around is free!! As another Fodorite mentioned, the Metro card is a great deal - cheaper transportation than probably any other city in U.S., and it gets you to more places. As far as museums are concerned, going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art ("The Met") is pay what you want. They "suggest" a fee, but you can pay whatever you want: .25 cents is OK.

Beyond the price of a hotel room, there are lots of ways to do this city on the cheap.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM

If you're trying to avoid the local kids - NYC schools are open until late June.

Late April and May - or September/October (but the latter are much more expensive) have better weather. BUT - it's very unlikely you will spend any 2 weeks in NYC without some rain - since it's not a desert.

But these will give you much better walking weather - and that is a major part of enjoying the city (exploring cute neighborhoods, window shopping, looking at the architecture, sitting in outdoor cafes etc) than Feb.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Don't want to disappoint you but February is the coldest, darkest most miserible month of the year. Think cold damp windy wet...if it were a color it would be dark grey. Ok the shortest day of the year is Dec 21, but February is nasty...very unpredictible. Usually it is a cold damp with rain, ice snain or snow - hail is from T Storms which we do not get in Feb.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM

If you have to do a trip in winter time, go in December. Christmas decorations are up, the city looks festive. February is nasty, cold and windy.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM

The trouble with February in such a climate is that the raw wind makes it difficult to put on enough clothing to feel comfortable without becoming the Micehlin tire man. The wind seems to penetrate all layers. And since NY is such a great walking city, that makes it difficult to enjoy.

And even all the great museums and other indoor activities - while some places have facilities to check coats, many don't and you then have to lug it all around once inside. And then there is the issue of slush, sleet and rain collecting at curbs and soaking thru your footwear. (Can you tell I can not stand the cold weather)

The reason lodging is so reasonable during February is that no one else wants to go there at that time.

As far as avoiding kids - some schools have a vacation week in later Feb - the week that includes the third Monday (Presidents' Day)