Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the weather like in early Feb (NY)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
win
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am planning a first ever trip to New York, flying in on Feb 7, 2004, leaving on 19th. My skin does not take cold or wind very well, so would appreciate it if someone here could let me know what the normal temperature is in New York during that period. I thought I had better be very well prepared cos I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and my facial skin can go very haywire (as in itch and pain) if the weather is not right. Anyone here know of a good dermatologist whom I can consult for my skin condition while I am there. (My apologies for asking a non travel related question here).
Thank you.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 11:34 PM

win, if you have a problem with the cold and wind, why are you going to NY in February? You could get lucky and it could be mild, but there's a pretty good chance it will be very cold and/or windy.

You can check one of the weather sites for average temps. The one I looked at gave the average for Feb as just above freezing (33.6F) with 20 days on average of below freezing weather.

Even more important, NY is a city where you it's difficult not to spend some time outside. You are always walking a block or two to a subway or a museum or a restaurant, or standing on the curb hailing a taxi. This doesn't sound like a very good plan for you -- can you postpone until spring?
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:57 AM

The average temp above sounds about right but you need to be prepared that in February it often drops into the teens at night. Another factor you may not have thought about is the wind. In New York the tall buildings act as wind tunnels funneling air through the narrow streets so it tends to be more windy than you might expect.

Another vote for postponing the trip until warmer weather.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:38 AM

The tempature in NY for February will vary between cold and d*mn cold. A cold snap, with daily tempatures in the single digits (F.) would not be uncommon for that time of year.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
Rob

I think most New Yorkers would agree the worst month with regard to weather is February.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:57 AM

February is the month when we NY'ers dream of leaving town for the tropics.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM

February is brutal. Why not put your trip off until April?
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:32 AM

I'm another who believes February is the worst of the winter months.

Not only will it likely be very cold and very windy, most places indoors are overheated and very dry. As uncomfortable as it is outdoors, dry hotel rooms with windows that don't open are even worse on delicate/sensitive skin.

I've found that the best defenses are a coat with a hood (keeps the wind off your face) and the newer super hydrating creams (I love Paula's Choice products - no irritants and they're inexpensive too.). Better to do your best to prevent a skin condition than try to find a remedy.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:20 AM

I've traveled 4 times in Feb the last 2 years (via Amtrak rail sales for $30 RT from Syracuse ). The weather has never been "warm" but on occasion did get up to 50, but most days were windy and cold- ave 30- 40's. It's great for theater availability- my priority. AND lower crowds. Plenty of derm- MD's, I would have a selection of them NOW looked up if needed.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 11:04 PM
win
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. That is what I fear most ~ wind and cold plus overheated buildings can spell big big problem for me but Feb is the only time I could take off from work for that long a period. I should consult my derm with these info. Thanks again. DJKbooks, will I be able to buy the Paula's Choice hydrating cream in any pharmacy. I'll probably need that badly.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:48 AM

See www.paulaschoice.com

I like these skin care products because they have no perfume or other irritants, are inexpensive, and perform beautifully.

Excellent drugstore products are Eucerin and Lubriderm. Eucerin makes a product called Aquaphor healing ointment (tube or jar) which is terrific. You can find descriptions of all these products at Drugstore.com
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:53 AM
GoTravel

Head downtown to Kiehls. All products are made by hand on site. They have been making this stuff since 1851. Go in and talk to one of the chemists and they will give you tons of freebies. You can buy whatever works for you.

I can't remember if it is on Second or Third Avenue but it is between 13th and 14th Streets.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:54 AM
GoTravel

You can go to www.Kiehls.com and they will mail you free samples.

The lip balm is the best in the world.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Too bad Kiehls was bought out by Loreal in 2000... I hope they never compromise on quality.
Another thing to consider in NYC and most northern cities for that matter is that most places seem to be overheated in the winter. Strange thing coming from Texas, but when I travel to the North in the fall or winter I almost suffocate in indoor public places like malls and lobbies. You have all this heavy clothing on and when you go into a building the heat is cranked up to 80 or something, which is short sleeve temps here in Texas.
I have very sensitive skin and I always have a problem with the artificial heat in the North during the winter.
We were in NYC last October and the temp was around 65-70. People were already wearing coats and hats!!!!
We had on sandals and short sleeves and looked totally out of place.
I wonder why this is? Why would someone from Texas NOT be cold and someone from NYC be cold enough to wear a coat and hat in October?
Anyone know?