Weather in NYC this weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the weather as bad as they are saying. Will freezing rain shut things down? Do outdoor markets usually stay open if it's raining.?
Sorry to be such a whiner, planning this trip for so long. Thanks.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM

"s the weather as bad as they are saying"

See for yourself - Google New York web cam
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM

May of the "outdoor" market aren't really - but housed in tents or semi-permanet huts - for lack of a better word. And even the true outdoor markets will be there unless it's a major storm - or temps near zero.

Just a clue for you: in NYC if it's raining in the winter it;'s not really cold. If it were really cold it would be snow.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM

When are you coming? This weekend?

I'm not sure why everyone gets so worked up about weather. It's a city, and there are myriad options to keep you occupied happily for 100 years and avoid the cold outside. It's winter, so you can (and should) expect temperatures in the 30s or 40s during the day (though right now temps are ranging between the 30s and 60s, so there's a huge variation from day to day).

We do get rain and snow in the winter in New York, and we had some miserable days last week. This week not so much. It's raining a bit today and cold ... we might get snow flurries.

But this is not Boston or Maine. We had no ice storm in NYC, and I'd be surprised if we got one before January. This weekend looks pretty good and next week too, though certainly colder (temps in the low 30s some days). Christmas Eve is forecast to be our coldest day next week, but to me the weather looks great, with crisp, cold days ahead and relatively little precipitation (i.e., no hard driving rain or major snowfall).

I'd recommend gloves, a hat, and a scarf, but I rarely weather a hat or scarf before January.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM

By the way, if the cold is an issue for you, please use the subway to get around. It's infinitely faster this time of year and keeps you indoors.

Avoid the overly expensive hop-on/hop-off buses, which will keep you trapped in traffic for countless hours and which are packed to the gills (so you might have to stand in the cold waiting for the next bus if the one you want is full).

They're not at all worth the cost unless you aren't able to walk or go up and down stairs (in that case, they're a good deal since they are much cheaper than cabs and hit the tourist spots on a single route, which city buses do not).
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Coming on Thursday. Bringing hat,gloves,scarf,lined raincoatand lots ofanticipation. Booked mid town so we could walk everywhere.
Finally chose the London over Michealangelo. Will miss morning coffee but wanted my own bed. Cheers to all for your support.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM

If it's cold a lined raincoat is insufficient. You need a proper winter coat - either heavy wool or leather with a thick thermal lining - or if you must a down jacket. (IMHO puff coats are not approrpriate for Manhattan - although you'll see a lot of people wearing them.)
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I will dissent here, nytraveler.

Plenty of perfect normal stylish Manhattanites (men and women)wear down jackets when it is cold. Actually many of the people I see on the subway or walking in the city on weekdays are wearing them (except perhaps in the Wall Street area). On weekends, they are even more common.

We're not talking about old style garish ski jackets here, but relatively streamlined, shaped, down coats or jackets in dark colors, mostly knee length for the women.

In my opinion, there's nothing inappropriate about wearing a coat that's right for the weather!
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
mp

puff coats are not appropriate for Manhattan?
Wow, have you been on a train at 8AM or walking around Union Square or the West Village anytime over the last 3 years? wow.

bomnana, you might want a fleece jacket or sweater under the raincoat - even if it is lined, the wind can be biting some times. But that's really only if you're going to be spending more than a half hour at a time outside.

And in this economy, everything will be open all the time.

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:42 AM

bomnana, I love the London NYC. The service there is excellent. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:25 AM

This is the latest on weather.com, but it's only Wednesday. Keep checking.

http://www.weather.com/weather/weeke...nav_undeclared

For Saturday, you'll need very warm clothing. For Friday and Sunday, you need to stay dry and warm. When it's cold and wet, I like a warm jacket with a hood because even with an umbrella, my hair gets ruined. The hood keeps your neck warm too. Another tip - I don't wear my expensive leather gloves when it's wet because they get permanently ruined; I wear wool or another fiber instead.

Nothing will shut down!!! I've gone to a Broadway play in a blizzard. This is the city that never sleeps!
Dress right and have a good visit.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Just be aware that although the temperature may not be super low, when the wind blows through the alleys it can certainly get nippy. I would definitely recommend at least having a hat, scarves and gloves, and boots that will keep your toes warm. Besides like everyone else says, there is plenty to do to keep you out of the cold long enough to heat up, not in the least all the museums on 5th on the Upper East or the galleries downtown. And if you want to get around quicker definitely use the subway, you can buy 7 or 10 ride cards (that can be used for multiple people) that offer a bit of a discount over single fare.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM

I always wear a down coat in NYC in the wintertime. There's nothing better for warmth, wind, and precipitation.

Walking, even a few blocks, to a subway station can be brutal if you're not dressed for the weather.