We want to live in South Carolina

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is ready to get out Maine & move to SC. We will have a son going into 6th grade & a daughter who wants to go to college there. Summerville seems to be the place we are leaning to.I would love to hear from some local folks on where they would advise to locate.

Thanks
Mike
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:00 AM

Look into North Augusta, S.C. It's a great community, with good people and big things are happening on the waterfront development.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
GoTravel

Mike, there are a couple of us South Carolinians on the board. I'm on the southern coast.

If you could give me some information such as what is your criteria, what are your job skills, do you have a job, what kind of money do you want to pay for a house, etc.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM

I would respond, except I did last March when you posted this same question.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:53 PM

Summerville is a beautiful area and is the location of the Woodlands Inn, one of 3 Mobil 5 star inns that also has a 5 star restaurant. Good location. Have you considered the Upstate of SC (Greenville-Spartanburg)?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

To Go Travel

Both my wife & I are self-employed, now she owns a daycare but will probably go back to the dental field & I own a Hardwood flooring co.I woulnd't mind staying in the business, but don't have to.
We are looking at homes from the 180's to around 250,000. The most important things to us are good school systems & low crime.

Thanks again
Mike
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Where does your daughter want to go to school?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:37 AM
GoTravel

In case you couldn't find it, here is your previous post--->http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...n_name=patsfan

JimF gave you excellent advice.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM

If you haven't done it yet, check into North Augusta. They have a great website. North Augusta is across the Savannah River from Augusta, Ga. (home of the Masters golf tournament) Many golf courses, located midstate, directly between the coast and the mountains. Atlanta is nearby (1.5 Hours), Columbia, SC (50 Min). Very low crime, excellent school system, great City Council (elected "at-large"), great public recreation and facilities, Clarks Hill Lake (top 10 largest man-made lakes in the US), inexpensive real estate.....
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM

UncleBob - Let me know the next time you are driving I-20 so I can get out of your way! I have never come close to making N.Augusta - Atlanta in 1.5 hours - or Columbia in 50 minutes!! It takes me more along the lines of 2.5 hours to anything more than where the interstate adds lanes on the east side of Atlanta...to be fair, I usually take the back way to Columbia but down I-20 it is at least 45 minutes from Harbison to my exit...10 miles before NA.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

To ausc59-

My daughter is thinking about USC@Columbia it seems like a good school.
Any other suggestions that she may apply for?
She does very well in school so hopefully she will get in with no problem(fingers crossed!!)

To Jim F & Go Travel

Yes I know I posted a simalar question a while back but since I only had 2 responses I thought I would give it another try.

I am just trying to get back some good honest feedback from the fine folks from South Carolina to help in our plans to relocate.

Thanks
Mike
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:28 PM
GoTravel

Mike, there is another very long post on moving to Columbia and I'll see if I can find it for you.

If your daughter is in high school here for the last six months of her senior year, she is elegible for the Hope Scholarship which is our lottery and free money for college. The perameters are fairly broad ('C'average, or 800 SATs).

I am an alumni of The University of South Carolina (BA Poli Sci) and could tell you anything that you'd like to know about the school. The free football ticket is worth going to school there LOL!

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM
GoTravel

Actually, a political science degree at USC is a GINT (Government and International Studies) degree if anyone was splitting hairs.

Here is the thread---->http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=Forest+Acres

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

To Go Travel

Thanks for the info about USC
It is very helpful to our family.

Mike

To bad she will graduate up here in Maine!!!!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM

We,too, will soon have 2 grads from USC in our family - engineering disciplines, though. What field of study is your daughter considering? Is she interested in a fairly active social life?There is a very active Greek system there.Intensive studies? She might want to look at the Honors College at USC.
Other colleges in the state, depending upon her interests include College of Charleston, Furman University and Clemson University. As you are coming from out-of-state and have no local allegiences to influence your choice, I would suggest that she look at the ones that most fit her chosen major.
The football tickets at USC are great ....will give her a chance to see some great SEC games this year!!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 03:34 PM
GoTravel

Go Cocks!

Looking forward to Steve Spurriers fist season but will really miss Lou Holtz.

I have one of the few autographed Gamecock footballs he has signed. It reads:

"To _____ _______: Always follow your dreams and follow the Gamecocks. Love, Lou Holtz.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Just to be honest....my kids may say "Go Cocks" but I have to reply "War Eagle"!
Just FYI - The Hope scholarship is actually in Georgia. The Life scholarship is the similiar one in SC - but the qualifications are a little more stringent....1100 on the SAT, top 30% of graduating class, and/or 3.0 GPA. The Palmetto, which pays more, is higher on all 3 counts.
I believe that once you live/work in the state 12 months you would qualify for in-state tuition. Does your daughter graduate this year?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

She will graduate in 2006.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Regardless of where you decide to relocate then, it will be to her advantage to send in her applications as early as possible! Late Aug 2005 is not too early! Not only is there alot of competition for admittance but there is also limited housing options. USC has been known to put up students in the local Holiday Inn before b/c they had more Freshmen than beds! Good luck to you all.