Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where can I hear that lovely southern accent?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living up here in Canada, I occasionally hear that gorgeous southern USA accent on t.v. (mostly on City Confidential, American Justice...ashamed to say I'm hooked on those programmes).

Do people "down there" really talk like that? I guess they do; the men and women on those two t.v. programmes are evidently not actors.

If I went to the southern USA would I hear a lot of people talking that way? Or is it just on t.v.? To my untrained ear, all accents from the southern USA sound similar, but I'm sure there are regional variations. Which regions are particularly striking or memorable?

I guess my best chance of hearing people talk like that is in the country (rather than in the city). It's my dream to travel to that part of the world, maybe some time in the next five years...I guess you could call this message the start of long-term preparations for a trip far in the future. In the mean time, I'll keep watching those t.v. programmes.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I am from Savannah, Georgia and some of the locals really do talk like that. I've lived other places around the globe so have lost much of my accent, but have relatives who still sound like authentic southeners. Many other places do as well throughout the real south (that excludes Florida
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Vorkuta,

In a nutshell, yes, people in the south really do speak like that. To answer the rest of your question, I defer to an expert:

Scarlett?

AL
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM
GoTravel

Different regions of the south will have different accents.

My South Carolina accent is different from North Carolinians (people tell me I sound exactly like Julia Sugarbaker from Designing Women) which is most definitely different from a Texas accent.

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Living in North Florida, which is basically South Georgia, I hear all degrees of "Southern".. from "soft" to "impossible to understand" Southern.
I think as soon as you pass through Virginia, into the Carolinas, you will start hearing varieties of Southern.
Personally, I find it a lovely accent, when done well
As an example, Texas Southern is pretty to my ear also.
I have not seen these tv shows but figure anyone can Do Southern, the Brits are good at it, look at Vivien Leigh!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:33 AM
OO

Funny, I too was thinking of the true Savannah accent, ambrosia. The actors trying to duplicate it in Midnight in the Garden didn't even come close (quite funny, actually--they missed by a mile!)
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Most southern accents on tv are horrible.

Come on down and listen to the real thing.

Big variations in accents. Someone in Brooklyn would have a different accent from someone in the Bronx. If a city can have several accents, you best believe the south has many variations.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I would have to say that my favorite regional accent is the Georgian accent - I loved listening to the locals when in Savannah. And I love Paula Dean's accent (on the Food Network)! I could watch Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil over and over just to hear Kevin Spacey's version of a Georgia "sing-song" accent.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Too funny ... and how are you chahmin' southern belles today? Staying cool as cucumbers on the verandahhh one hopes. Take care, and be good. Ciao, L
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Vorkuta,

you are right about hearing better preserved southern accents in the country, or at least in smaller towns who have not seen a large influx of emigrants.

There are TONS of places like that down here (I live in South Carolina). My suggestion is to eat breakfast or lunch in a little cafe--we call them diners--in the center of a little town like Conway, SC or, what I think might be your best bet, Mount Airy NC. Mount Airy was the basis for Mayberry (you know, The Andy Griffith Show). Having lived in nearby Winston-Salem and visited a lot of the surrounding small towns, I still think there is something special about the accents in that part of NC.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Yes, people from the southern states really do "talk like that"! And it's delightful. And, no, not just in the country or rural areas, either, though the accent is a bit, ah, refined in the larger cities. (For lack of a better word!)

The only southern states I've visited have been Louisiana and Texas and I noticed a huge difference. The New Orleans accent is very different from that of Houston. Hard to say how, exactly, but different and distinct, and very pleasant.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Vorkuta, your post made me smile. I can remember when they filmed the TV series "Heat of the Night" here in Georgia. Some of the accents were authentic but others were so thick even I was tripping over them.

I can only speak for Georgia. The further out you get from Atlanta, the more frequently you'll here a genuine Southern accent. Especially in South Georgia in the smaller, very rural towns.

In Atlanta proper, you're likely to hear EVERY accent there is since we attract people from all over the U.S. and the world.

You're correct in guessing that there are variations across the South. I think the accents in Kentucky and Louisiana tend to be the most stiking, but that's just me.

I miss Paul Winfield's smooth narration on City Confidential.

As for American Justice, I thought Bill Kurtis was the usual host and he doesn't have a Southern accent.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM

LOL, Al, I missed your post

My accent has been filtered by all the other places I have lived, Ca, NYC..but after this past year in Fl, I most likely sound like Scarlett again
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Hi, I'm from Alabama, so anyplace where your mama can be your sister, you'll hear a nice Southern accent.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM
OO

The true New Orleanian accent I remember (we lived there for about 6 years) sort of reminded me of a New York accent...not exactly melodious (not to insult anyone!!)

I've heard some beautiful Texas accents (my daughter-in-law's, so soft and pretty) and some that will set your teeth on edge. I like the accent around the Norfolk area too.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:51 AM

The best example of a true south-west Georgia accent is Rosalyn Carter. The accents in different parts of Georgia vary from each other. I can tell the difference between a woman from Augusta than from Columbus. For some reason, it's harder to tell with men. Alabama has regional southern accents as well.

I used to work in a customer service call center in Atlanta years ago and I had repeat callers ask for me specifically so that they could hear my accent. I have friends in England that call me "magnolia".... I don't know if that is a compliment or not

Keith
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Has anyone else noticed how you tend to lose youir accent after being away from the south, yet how quickly it returns the moment you start talking to other southerners?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Mt. Airy -- my favorite accent! Used to drive down I-77 and turn on the local radio station (somehow seemed to hit right on the daily obits when in range!) JUST to hear that clipped cadence. Sadly, those regional variations are disappearing it seems -- young folks in particular now sound like the evening news with some sort of generic midwestern twang (or maybe it was growing up with Mr. Rogers?).

B/
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Yes, Statia! When I lived in NY, my brother would visit and I would find myself sounding like him at the end of the day LOL
He is affectionately called MushMouth at our house
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
mm

North Carolina!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -