Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Actors making a living in southern states?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello my children and I act and work in Commercials and wonder if there are any actors on this site that live in the south where there is work like Charlotte or South Carolina, Nashville, and what type of auditions?

natalie
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Go to CastingAudition.com .. there are some for Columbia SC .
Are you SAG? If so, you can check with them.
Good luck~
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Yes I am Sag but I understand most of the work is right to work, everything was going out to New Orleans but thats over. Is there more work in South or nOrth Carolina? a sag agent told me there is more for my daughter or kid in terms of commercials in Dallas.

Nat
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Hi Aurochelle,

North Carolina is an active location for production of movies, TV series and commericals. I'm most aware of the Wilmington area for Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill. For specific regional information take a look at:

http://www.ncfilm.com/
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:30 AM
GoTravel

No. You can't make a living acting in television and film but you can suppliment your income.

My girlfriend is a SAG member ended up having to teach at the University of South Carolina. She has her MFA.

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:38 AM

I have friends with children with active acting careers from Tampa and Nashville. The kids are based in LA. Families split to be able to live with said children in LA. These are successful actors with movie careers and network television shows.

Once again, don't come down here. We are racist, close minded and we ain't got no learnin'.

Of course, the country's highest paid movie star hails from my state and earned her chops in regional theatre (run by her parents). But, the rest of us are heathens.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Starsville I am more interested in info for regarding industry in Nashville that you know of. LA is the hub but we are just not into LA. I am taking this research to heart so I am not sure if you are being funny with the racist comments or what but again I lived in Atlanta for years and loved it, So at this point I am going to ask about Nashville and move away from the racist comments, and for the record we are moving there as are many many Californians and New Yorkers and many more...

Nat
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM

If Starrsville's comments are any measure of truth I'd say there are more than enough "actors" down there already.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:48 AM

My friend's son came up through the Nashville theatre ropes and starred in local productions - but one does not make a living doing that in Nashville. He made more than most people do per year during a few weeks filming a small part in Cold Mountain - but again, moved to LA to sustain an acting career. The Tampa girl who starred in a ABC primetime show had to move to LA (and parents rotated living with her). You will not sustain a living wage acting in the South.

The racist comments began with the OP. If you don't like the comments on your remarks, then more carefully word them in the future.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Starsville, I keep hearing great things about Nashville for children in general, I am researching Vanderbuilt since one of my children has special needs, in general I thought Cold Mountain was filmed in NC did the childrens families mention more work in North Carolina than Nashville? I bet they are really going to have to adjust to traffic and fast pace in LA, I opt to move far away from there. One of my dearest friends lives in Tampa and LOVES LOVES it she is a reporter for ABC, I did not ask her about Tampa and auditions. Did your friends child have to go to Orlando or Miami for most auditions?

Nat
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM
GoTravel

nat, you totally missed the point.

In your original remarks in your other posts, you painted the ENTIRE south as being backwoods and racist.

YOUR remarks were offensive to several of us and starrsville was commenting as such and NOT trying to be funny.

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Just as an observer...

If one works in said profession, why would you come to this site to seek employment in a different area of the country? Are there no better resources than this?

Bunchargum......?
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

tO GO TRAVEL,did you see my last post? I realize after looking at more than my post, these assumptions are common and I am not the only one asking but ya know what I meant no harm, insult I mentioned commments made to me about the south! I will be careful about my future post, We get negative comments ALL the time about native californians and you know what I let it go over my head because I know it not DIRECTED at ME! Again we loved Atl while we were there and excited about our move! thanks for your response. I could California bash but that would take forever and a day LOL !!!!!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Cold Mountain was filmed in Transylvania. Renee and Jude interacted with the cast and crew. Nicole did not.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

To Ahhnold as my kids work on the side just, its not fulltime. I am only inquiring not SEEKING EMPLOYMENT! I met some really interesting actors that work a little in the southerns states at a seminar, but we are moving south for other reasons... again sorry to offend you not seeking employment.

Nat
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM

OP, your comments were offensive and your attempts to dodge responsibility for them continues the problem.

This next comment may be considered rude, but accurate. If you are not a troll and your writing skills are as you present them (and not trying to be funny) then you should not have any trouble finding a school system you will be happy with. ANY school system I am aware of will better prepare your children to write than you are demonstrating.

Final comment. Do not come "South" with the intent of making a living (by you or your kids) by acting. It MAY happen if you already own land and want to homestead, but not under any other conditions. My friends' children go to NYC or LA or on location "to work".
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Starsville I thought I apologized, I am not by any means skirting me first post. I have offended you and others, I apologize. You are right I am not the best writer and not very good with the computer in general, I am still learning. I am sorry, I am sorry my post, was not to offend, we are so excited about our move! I did not intend to make a fortune off of acting, my little girl just really enjoys it,so I thought maybe. I am sorry, I do not know what a troll is, I hope I am not one?? buy I must work on my posting skills, that being said.. I really meant well.

Nat
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 09:39 AM

As the mother of a SAG member and one who grew up in the midst of this stuff, I have to ask why you don't go to SAG for this info? I just checked and there are 7 SAG franchised agents in TN. Five of them are full service and none are children's agents. There are no SAG agents in NC. That tells you something right there.

I have a very close friend who is a casting agent. He casts for productions all over, and has been doing a lot of work in Mississippi in recent years. But he casts in L.A. before production begins. They pull background players from the the local community, but in many cases these people are so execited to be a movie they do it for free. And we all know how much fun background work can be.

Any regional market will have a limited amount of local production work. Don't expect to find a lot of SAG gigs outside of L.A., NY or Orlando. There is a lot of children's work to be found in Orlando.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Wilmington has a growing TV/movie community. I love the whole Wilmington area and have vacationed at nearby Topsail Island for almost forty years. The downside of Wilmington is the suburban sprawl, especially between Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. I remember when Hampstead was a country village; today it is part of suburban Wilmington.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Nat:
I, for one, recognized that your reference to racism came from comments you had heard from others and was an opportunity for those of us that live in the south to counter those comments. I also know that many of us do not treat this forum as a writing composition course. I know many intelligent people that use a more relaxed grammar and spelling style when writing in forums and on email.
When we read posts we sometimes miss the point and jump to conclusions. Insulting tones in replies brought on the recent "cleansing" on this forum.
Good luck in the search for a home for your children. There are wonderful and giving communities everywhere including California.
Cold Mountain was also filmed in other locations, including just up the road from me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -