WDW hotels...romantic but inexpensive.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize we are going to a family resort-but my husband and I would like a more peaceful and romantic hotel while we are in the Orlando area. Any ideas for those of us on a budget? $100 or less a night unreasonable?
It's is our first trip to the east coast!
Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:19 PM

Not trying to rude or coy but one doesn't exist. At least not on Disney Property.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:25 PM

First, Orlando is not on the east coast. It's smack in the middle of the coast. You're at least an hour away from the "east coast".

Second, splurge and go to Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is very unique. If you decide you can't afford it, be sure to stop in to check it out.

Third, if you can't afford that and don't care to stay at WDW, try the Park Plaza Hotel in Winter Park just east of Orlando. Real old Florida from the turn of the century, updated and in the middle of a trendy chic setting. A wonderful walking community, lots of shops, lots of charm. Go by the Tiffany museum for a look at some of the worlds oldest finest stained glass. Have lunch in Winter Park, stroll through the neighborhood, imagine what it was like in its heyday with wild peacocks ruling the roost.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:36 PM

I meant to say that Orlando is in the middle of the state, not the coast. excuse my faux pas.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:20 PM

Check hotel info on wdwig.com. Depends a lot on when you are going, and how many in your family, and will you have a car. You would probably want to avoid the All-Star resorts - fairly noisy and busy. You may want to check hotelkingdom.com for some info on good deals at timeshare resorts, usually there is more room and you can get great deals if you don't mind spending 2 or 3 hours at a timeshare presentation, and you have transportation. We did this a few years ago at the Star Island resort, got a great timeshare for $39 a night.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:08 AM

You haven't mentioned when you plan to go, or how long you plan to stay.

It doesn't cost any more for peaceful and romantic, you just can't stay as long on the same budget.

And, there are any number of more peaceful and romantic destinations for your first trip to the East Coast that the Orlando area.

In the alternative, you could peruse www.biddingfortravel.com and bid on Priceline for a 4* or greater, along with Resort, property. You could get lucky.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:23 AM

Perhaps Barbie is coming from the Western US not the west coast of Florida. If you do not stay on the Disney Property there are bargains galore but I don't know what might be under 100 per night. The lower price Disney properties are very kid oriented.

There are some charming B&B's in Mt. Dora. You could start a search there. LMF
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 03:51 AM

Well, of course she's coming from the west coast. how did I misread that one. Scuse me please.

LMSfoodie is absolutely right about Mt. Dora -- a really wonderful place.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:19 AM

First of all check out Mousesavers.com to find a code to get your room at a discount. I think you can get a room at a moderate resort for $114 now thru most of April. Of the moderate resorts I would think Port Orleans French Quarter would be the most "romantic." You can see pictures of the resorts and grounds on WDWIG.com.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are coming from Oregon. We hope to travel in December. It is just my husband and myself. We are kids at heart-who don't have the heart to listen to children all night long. We love the energy of theme parks during our visits...but need our sleep to be able to enjoy the rest of our stay.
I am getting such good advice. Winter Park looks like a great area. Thanks
for your responses. Looking forward to more info on the Orlando area!!!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM

The first two weeks of December are the slowest months at the theme parks and you can usually make an excellent deal at the hotels in the area. Personally, for romance and elegance, I would go with the Portofino Bay Resort at Universal.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Splurge and go for Animal Kingdom. THe kids will ove the animals wandering around on the savannah. They have porches with big rocking chairs where you can sit and watch the animals, too. Good luck finding somethin 100 dollars or less on Disney property and i highly recommend you stay on their property because of the use of their transportation system.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Check out the Coranado Springs Resort at WDW. Its a Southwestern style resort - lots of fountains, quiet courtyards, a lake to stroll around, bikes to rent, quiet pools. There are currently discounts available until Apr 17 that put it close to your budget. By staying on property you'll save the cost of a rental car. Check ut wdwig.com for pictures. I looked at every picture I could find on the internet of the resort before we went. Frankly none of the pictures captured the place - I was very pleasantly surprised at how lovely it all was. It was very appealling to this family of New Englanders where the southwestern style is a novelty. To those who have traveled more in the SW than we have it may not be as appealling.