Help with Orlando long weekend...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed south to Florida with my inlaws, they have a place in Kissimee (sp?), and I'm starting to wonder what we are going to do while we are there??

They golf and enjoy "going out" to restaurants and whatnot, but there probably won't be golf on this trip. Hubby and I are into outdoor fun, nature, etc. I think we will all go to Disney 1 day, but I'm looking for other ideas. Since it is a short trip, we don't want to be doing a lot of driving. Anything of interest nearby? I would love to see manatees.

I gave them a bunch of central Florida books as a gift, now I wish I had them!

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM

if you want to go to disney but do less of the "disney magic princess" stuff, Animal Kingdom is great for nature lovers as it is much less "in your face" mickey and more trails and attractions that you explore on your own. the safari ride is interesting and beautiful, and the grounds themselves are worth taking a walk in.

for a good meal you could try Wolfgang Pucks in downtown disney (no park pass required). i've never had a bad meal there (eaten there 5-10 times). and downtown disney is a good way to get a little disney flavor without dealing with the theme park craziness.

if you do want to see other parks, you could get a park hopper ticket and spend one day and go see a few attractions in each one. disney transportation is great, although if i remember correctly you sometimes cannot go from park to park in one trip, but might have to go from park to resort, and then resort to other park.

there are wonderful restaurants in the Epcot world showcase - italy has great food, obviously, and the restaurant in germany is good too. i'd avoid the restaurant in mexico.

as for the rest of orlando i'm afraid i can't help all that much...other than to say that i went to sea world a few years ago and it seemed a bit boring, although i'm sure it's very different now. have fun!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM

A poster named starrsville made this recommendation on another thread. We've never done this but it looks so nice that we've logged the information for our next trip to the Orlando area -

"Wekiva Springs State Park.

I don't usually mention this because most people come to Orlando to "do" the amusement parks. For something you will really enjoy and remember forever, go to Wekiva Springs SP (northern part of Orlando - Altamonte Springs area.

Google for more information but...

Wekiwa Springs State Park comprises approximately 7,000 acres of wild scenery that offers an opportunity to see how areas of central Florida looked when the Timucuan Indians speared fish in the spring-fed creeks and stalked the uplands. They left a number of mounds that are still visible today. The main spring pumps approximately 42 million gallons of water each day.

I'd rent canoes or take a canoe guided trip. It is truly an amazing experience. You feel like you are canoeing through "Old Florida".

There's an official website and here's the website of the canoe company working in the park. www.canoewekiva.com. They also have horseback riding.

For a low key experience (and much less expensive!) but one your kids will enjoy and remember forever, pack a picnic lunch and enjoy a quieter alternative - and much more real."

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

We have a place in Orlando. While there, we enjoy the little community called "Celebration". It's only a mile from Kissimmee. They have nice shops, restaurants and it's quiet and clean.Good place to spend a few hours.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM

Why, thank you, ajcolorado! The canoe trip my brother took me on at Wekiva Springs is one of my favorite memories ever. One can really get a feel of what Florida used to be like. It is truly an oasis.

Another little known great place to visit is the musuem of Tiffany glass in Winter Park. Winter Park is a delightful little town to walk around and shop, but the Morse Museum has the largest collection of Tiffany glass in the world. Here's one review I found...

http://www.southflorida.com/travel/s...-travel-search
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM

THere is also a nice park in Ocala--Silver River State Park (www.floridastateparks.org/silverriver)

There are actually monkeys on the river!!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Ther are airboat rides available off 192 and if you go up to Sanford and north there are some boat tours on the St' John's. Chcek the wellow pages for names and telephone numbers. If you are willing to do an hour and a half drive there's a great new Aquarium in Tampa and they were offering daily rides out on a large boat to see Dolphins. Check out this website for Manatees http://homosassasprings.org/Homosassa.cfm
Also just north of Tampa on Hwy 19 is Tarpon Springs. It's a town with Greek history that does sponge harvesting. They have tours out on the sponge boats, but you may need to call in advance for a reservation. Great Greek Restaurants and some shops on the waterfront there as well.