washington dc/williamsburg info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my daughter to see some colleges in the DC area and would like a good but (relatively) inexpensive place to stay near a subway station so we don't have to drive in the city.

Also, we'd like to get down to Williamsburg. Is there any public transportation from DC down to Williamsburg, or any reliable private bus lines, say? Or is driving the best bet?

Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:15 PM

TTT
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:17 PM

I suggest post your message on the Washington DC list as well. Good Luck
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:04 PM

there is only one board here, all messages show up in the same list (US), so please don't post it again

There is both bus (Greyhound) and Amtrak (train) service between Washington DC and Williamsburg. I'd go for the train myself, as it's quicker (and probably more pleasant, but I haven't taken the bus). YOu can find schedules and fares on their web sites, www.greyhound.com or www.amtrak.com. It's a bit far for a day trip, though, so you'd probably want to stay over.

As for hotels, it's hard to know where to start or what might be within your idea of inexpensive. YOu can usually get good deals on hotels in Washington on www.quikbook.com or maybe priceline. There are some private websites, also, that have pretty good rates (www.dcaccommodations.com is one, I think).

YOu'd probably enjoy staying either in Foggy Bottom (near GWU) or Dupont Circle and you should be able to get a reasonable hotel in those places -- Jury's and Radisson and Hilton are several favorites around Dupont Circle, but there are plenty of others.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM

ibob-there is no "DC" list -- they're all grouped under "United States" -- clicking on DC just does a search for you to bring up DC related.

Penel523 - hotels: One hotel I've stayed at several times is Quality Inn Iwo Jima, in Arlington an walkable (about 1/3 mile) from Rosslyn Metro station. Next door to QI is Motel-50 which looks ok, and is less expensive, but other than that I don't know about it. Good Deals often found at Radisson Barcelo in DuPont Circle, about 2 blks to Metro station. The Days Inn Camp Springs-MD often has cheap rates and is about 3 blocks from Branch Ave Metro, but there's NOTHING in the area that's walkable (eg: stores, restaurants). Holiday Inn Eisenhower Ave is adjacent to a Metro as well, and it's weekend rates are often around $60. DC's Red Roof Inn often has reasonable prices, and is a block from Gallery Place Metro.

Will you be driving TO the DC area? We stayed at Red Roof Inn Laurel MD awhile back for $45. It was an easy 10 min drive to the Greenbelt Metro station, parking was $2.50 I think.

Williamsburg: can be reached by Amtrak or Greyhound. The rail+train station is right in town. I assume you want to visit Colonial Williamsburg? The Governors Inn (part of CW) is a stone's throw from the station - you could probably walk if you didn't wish to take a cab - and would transport you to the visitors center & various CW sites for free. Amtrak has a 25% off special but you must purchase by June 15. Greyhound often has 2 for 1 deals if you're purchasing in advance. Other hotels you might find walkable to are the Hospitality House and Days Inn (702? Richmond Rd). If you need a car while in town, I've been very satisfied w/ Enterprise. If you are driving to DC, you might wish to drive to Wburg, as I'm not sure the rail or bus is such a good deal from DC, and you'd be able to stay at more economical motels too. I like the Governor Spottswood, an older "motor court". I've stayed twice recently at Motel6 (check internet for gr8 r8's !)

I visit both areas quite a bit & can reply privately. At Yahoo.com, my email address rb_traveler.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

RBtraveler, thanks for all the information. We'll probably fly to DC and then I need to decide whether to rent a car or stay somewhere where we can take the metro. We're going to visit Georgetown, GW, and American, and then--perhaps--go to William & Mary. The former three schools seem to be easily accessible by the public transit system, and I want to pick a place to stay that will give a flavor of what it would be like to be in the city--but I also want to make sure we're safe. We've been to Washington several times but have never stayed right downtown. Once we stayed in Arlington, near a subway stop, and one other time we stayed in Maryland and drove in and out of town (which I hated). So I guess my key question is, if we're going to look at these three schools, which hotel, or area, might fill the bill? I like the idea of the Radisson at DuPont Circle, and I wonder if there might be some deals to be had in Georgetown.

So I'm wondering if I don't have a car and we stay in town, should we take the train to W-burg and back? Schedules on Amtrak seem to be accommodating, and it would be roughly $150 round trip--which would probably be close to what we'd spend for car rental. The big question, of course, is whether she's serious about W&M, and no one on this forum can answer that one!. We've been to Williamsburg, so seeing it as tourists again would be fun but not essential.

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Thank you all for pointing out there is only one US message board. I appreciate the fact that you were all cordial about it. I am kinda new at this but so much enjoy the travel data. Have Fun......
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:14 PM

If you wish to stay near W&M, the Hospitality House is the closest, followed by the Days Inn on Richmond Rd (in the 700 block) I often find GREAT rental deals in the internet for Avis. I had a car 3 days last week for $52 including all taxes, and having a car would allow some other visits and more hotel selections. We really like the Radisson Barcelo. We visited, but did not stay in Summerfield Suites (by Wyndham) at Embassy Square, a nice neighborhood and just as close to the Dupont Cr. Metro. Good Luck.