Search

Washington DC Local Flooding Conditions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC Local Flooding Conditions

Hi,
My husband and I are traveling to Washington DC on June 30th and will be flying home on July 5th. If someone from the Washington DC area is reading this please respond soon. Does it make sense to change our plans based on the flooding situation in DC? We've heard most museums are closed due to flooding. The weather forecast looks decent for the days we plan to be there, but I could make a much better informed decision if someone who is local to the downtown DC area can give me some insight on the conditions their, rain, flooding, museums situation etc.
Thanks,
Paul R.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:21 PM

There are TONS of museums to go to that aren't closed. It's only a few. Just come and enjoy!!!!

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Absolutely no reason not to come. Plenty still to seem and Friday and Saturday are expected to be nice. It was fairly normal downtown on Wednesday.

Unlike what you've heard ``most'' -- nearly all -- museums are open.

American History and Natural History museums and the Smithsonian Castle are closed Thursday, but I'd bet they'll be open before you leave. Same for the National Archives.

But the Folklife event could be a bit sloppy . . .

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:14 AM

It was truly gross for the first half of this week, but the rains have stopped, the flooding (in the localized areas where it occurred) has really receded, and the weather looks good through the weekend (with chances of t-storms, which is normal in summer).
Not all the museums are closed - only the Smithsonian American History and Natural History and the Archives are closed, to my knowledge, and I think that they are working quickly to reopen them. I don't think there's any reason they won't have those fixed up in the next couple of days.

The roads are greatly improved - and everyone is so happy to see the sun again. I wouldn't consider that much of the area that you'll be visiting is experiencing any lingering effects (other than the occasional roof leak and the aforementioned museums). Come on and enjoy yourself and celebrate the sunshine (at long last).
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:30 AM

It's gonna be some kind of humid though. Come prepared for hot & steamy weather!!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Worth checking for updates on openings and closings:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...singspage.html