Search

Niagara Falls

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagara Falls

We are traveling to Niagara Falls this summer and I've been doing some research. I have questions about logistics. Is it better to be on the Canadian side or US? We've decided to sign up with a tour group to see as much as possible, but don't know whether to use US or Canada. Canada seems to offer more. I've also read that we don't need to stay in the town of Niagara Falls.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM
JJ5

I just went at the end of May, and we saw both sides. The Canadian side has better views and more close up tour features.

No, you don't need to stay in the town of Niagara Falls. I would view the Falls from the Canadian side without a tour, doing: Maid of the Mist, Journey Beneath (Under?) the Falls, and the Skylon for sure. They all can be done well with only one parking of the car and some walking.

You don't need to stay there. And the beautiful places to really explore are in the Gorge and Niagara River areas, IMHO. The Niagara Falls town has an amusement park atmosphere.

You don't save any money or time on taking the guided tour packages. In fact, you are waiting for other people and in a bus more than you are at the feature. Plus you can not linger in the spots you prefer, and they also bring you (drive distances you would never do on your own) to different "snack and souvenir" shops where you are a captive audience.

This is my opinion.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

JJ5 - Thanks for the info. All sounds reasonable (and what I suspected.) Tough doing this when we've never been there. We are currently waiting for info from AAA also.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:00 PM

niagara ont the lake-canadian side-is the best thing about niagar-check it out
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM

We stayed on the Canadian side as there was a better selection of hotels and things to do.

One day we walked across the bridge and did the park and attractions on the American side. We enjoyed them and thought that the walk down to the bottom of the falls was one of the highlights although we were glad we stayed on the Canadian side. We thought the line for the Maid of the Mist was shorter on the American side too.

We did not do any formal tours and found it all easy to do on our own.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM

You can buy attraction booklets on both sides of the border that save you money and help you see the main attractions...

the US side is better for nature lovers and the CAN side attraction book is a bit more touristy...

If you go to the Canada board and type in Niagara Falls or Niagra Falls you can read much more about your interests

One suggestion is to add the Niagara Jetboat tour to your itinerary... its a world class rapids ride... but you will get wet!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:11 PM

When I went I stayed on the Canadian side. I was glad I did. It seemed a lot nicer than the American side.

First of all, when you are on the Canadian side you are looking across AT the falls. You cannot see the falls from the American side unless you are standing right above them.

There are a ton of B&B's on the Canadian side as well as gardens and restaurants that all look out onto the falls. Most every meal I ate was at a restaurant where I could see the falls.

(At the time the exchange rate was better also.) I did everything I could while I was there. I took a ride on "The Maid of the Mist", walked behind the falls, went down next to the falls, took one of those boat rides that take you down the rapids, stopped at some wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake, went to see "Oh, Canada, Eh?" It was realy fun and the food was terriffic! Everything served was from Canada and all the music in the show was written & performed by Canadians from "K-K-K-Katie, Beautiful, Katie" to "Hair" and Anne Murray's "Snowbird".

I did not use a tour and I feel that I saw everything. My trip to Niagara is still one of my favorite weekend trips of all time!