Niagara Falls in a Day or More

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a couple of Brits trying to do New YOrk State including Niagara Falls & Historical sites including Lake George & all the must see sights in 5 days !!!. A lot of help needed & all info appreciated.
I think best way is Fly from Newark to Buffalo within a couple of hours of Landing. I am allowing a couple of hours as I do not know if our inbound flight will be delayed.
We should arrive in Buffalo around 4 pm. We have heard that the Canadian Side of the falls is better. How do we get there ? We don't wish to hire a car.We would like to book into a hotel for the night & leave around 2pm next day by Amtrack to Albany from Buffalo. Is this feasible will we see enough . We are happy to rise very early the next morning. We are clueless please help.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Wow, you are not giving yourself enough time to enjoy Niagara Falls at all. It isn't even possible to see all of New York state in five days!!!

Do you already have your Amtrack tickets booked from Buffalo to Albany?

Well, based on the info. you provided, I would suggest taking a cab from the Buffalo airport to Niagara Falls. The Canadian side has an enormous choice of hotels to choose from. After checking in your hotel, put on your walking shoes and get moving. The Falls are beautiful at night. From the Canadian side you get a panoramic view of the American and Canadian falls.

Very early the next morning, I would walk over the Rainbow Bridge and view the falls from the American side. On that side, you can stand at the railing right at the brink. You could reach out and touch it (BUT I'M NOT SUGGESTING THAT). There are several vantage points on Goat Island. Also, you can walk right next to the upper rapids. In my opinion you will short change yourselves if you don't view the falls from both sides!!!

After that, you better hoof it back to your hotel, check out, and grab a cab back to Buffalo if you have a 2:00 train to catch!!! Just keep in mind that the bridges from Canada to the US can be backed up. Allow yourselves enough time.

You obviously won't have enough time to take in any of the tourist related things like riding on the Maid of the Mist, etc., but perhaps you will be lucky enough to return some day.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Are you aware that New York State and England are almost exactly the same size, about 50,000 square miles? That Amtrak from Buffalo to Albany takes 5 hours (and that's just the official estimate)? In other words, are you sure that this excursion to Niagara Falls is worth eating up 2 of your allotted 5 days?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM

If you miss the Maid of the Mist and the Cave of the Winds tour, you're really short-changing yourselves. These are fabulous attractions, although touristy.

We spent three days at Niagara Falls a few years ago and enjoyed every minte of them. And that almost wasn't enough time.

Really, doing a Clark W. Griswold look-and-see-only-for-a-second-or-two isn't going to be that productive. You won't be able to take in the atmosphere, which, I think, is a big part of the Falls.

Move around. Get different perspectives, not to mention plenty of photographs. This is a super place to visit.

We stayed at a motel about a half-mile walk fromt he Falls on the US side for only $55 a night. But we aren't ones to complain about amenities. In fact, we don't really care much about the rooms in which we stay, only that we have a private bath and it is safe from any riff-raff outside.

Do a search and see if you can find out the name of the place as to where we stayed or one similar. There are plenty in the Niagara Falls area within walking distance of the Falls.

But, please give yourselves more time, if possible.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:11 AM
cd

If it were me and that is how much time I had, I would make reservations at the Sharaton Fallsview on the Canadian side and ask for a room with a view. It is 300 yrs from the Falls and as they light the Falls at night, it would be beautiful. I would get up early, have the room coffee and a bagle that I would have purchased the evening before so that I could get a fast start and not waste time eating breakfast, I would do a lot of walking and take the Maid of the Mist boat tour as it's only a half hour tour once you get on it. I'm always amazed at how much ground one can cover in a short period of time when that's all that's available.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:32 AM

I agree totally with cd. The sheraton fallsview is THE place to stay. You'll pay more but its worth it, imo, and i'm the budget queen in lodging!

Yes, you could possibly spend days there (think wax museum, putt-putt, souvenier shoppes etc), but THE attraction IS the falls. And its truly amazing what you can do with lots of planning and organization. Also imo, a look-see is much better than a no-see!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your replies . You have made us think .We are probably going to cut down on all the places we would like to see and maybe restrict things to 3 days around Albany and have 2 nights in Niagara at the end of our 5 days flying back to New York City with JetBlue.We will be spending 4 nights in NYC before flying to Vegas.
Again thanks for all the help it is really heartwarming. I will probably have more questions.
Thanks
Kathy
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:15 AM

Since you do not want to rent a car, you might want to rethink your plans a bit: while Albany is the capital of NY state, there is definetely more to see & do in either NYC or Niagara Falls, especially without your own transportation.
Also, the Spanish AeroCar over the falls is great, as is the butterfly conservatory at the Gardens.
I strongly suggest a meal in Little Italy when you're in NYC.
Good luck with your trip!
RBS
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:17 AM

This can be done....

One additional consideration may be crossing the border and back. We did this pre 9/11, things may have slowed since then.
I did what cd suggested. Stayed on the Canadian side. See the afternoon/night falls when you get there, do the Maid of the Mist early and get out of town!

We really loved the falls however I can't even imagine multiple days here, but that's just me. I dislike tourist trap stuff.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Allocating 3 days to the Albany area and 4 to NYC is a very unusual allocation of time. I've been reading these boards for years and I don't believe I've ever seen anyone choose to spend 3 nights in Albany.