Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning to visit DC 4th of July weekend - flooding issues?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to drive in to DC Friday night from Ohio. We're planning on staying until Tuesday.

I'm concerned about the flooding - can anyone tell me how bad it is? Do you think it will be resolved by Friday?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:59 AM
emd

I live just outside DC in Northern VA. It rained all last night. The pictures on the front of the Washinton Post today of the flooding around 14th St. downtown are bad, but I see on WTOP's website that 14th and Independence and 14th and Constitution are open today, although traffic lights are still out. Several govt. offices are closed. It is sunny today. I think WTOP (all news radio station) is the best website to keep up what is going on hour by hour, the closings, weather doppler, etc.

http://www.wtop.com/index.php

Here is the most recent forecast from ABC accuweather (which is what WTOP uses):

It is a bit drier today with some added sunshine, but afternoon t-storms are still in the forecast. Expect lingering early morning showers to give way to a partly sunny afternoon. It will still be humid with highs topping out in the mid to upper 80s. There is still a fair amount of instability in the atmosphere, hence the PM storms. Weak high pressure will return Thursday, but a passing disturbance could lead to an isolated shower or two. On Friday and Saturday expect a fair amount of sunshine with typical summer temperatures. Rivers and streams are reaching flood stage, so use extra caution when near waterways.

http://www.wjla.com/weather/

Although some govt. offices are closed, the one tourists will be most affected by is Natl. Archives. From WTOP website:

National Archives, Washington - closed - The Archives will remain closed through at least Monday because of flooding. The traditional July 4th dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence will however go on at 10 a.m. Tuesday on the Constitution Avenue steps outside. All Independence Day afternoon activities are cancelled. (Tuesday)

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:07 AM

The flooding is not that bad right now, but getting around will still be slow because of street closings and detours.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Besides the Archives, the only other two museums currently closed are the Museum of American History and the Museum of Natural History.

These two may or may not open tomorrow or Friday. I am sure the three closed buildings will be open well before you depart DC. Check this website daily (or more) for the latest:

http://www.si.edu/

The streets are now clear. Flooding is no longer visible, the problems are with water that entered these three building Sunday night.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:37 AM

FYI the National Gallery is also still closed, according to their website "due to a steam outage"