Walking the DC Memorials

Search

Walking the DC Memorials

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking the DC Memorials

Based on several poor reviews, I have decided against taking the Tourmobile. We were basically just going to use it for transportation between Memorials and it doesn't seem worth the $70 it would cost us to save a little walking.

Revised plan is to take the Metro to Arlington National Cemetery and take the Tourmobile tour there. Then take a taxi to the Jefferson Memorial and walk the Memorials in the following order:
Jefferson
FDR
WWII
Vietnam
Korean
Lincoln

We are staying at the Homewood Suites in Foggy Bottom and will walk back to the hotel when we are done.

Does this order make sense to minimize backtracking?
How hard is it to find a taxi at Arlington National Cemetery?
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Hi,

You'll hit the Lincoln on the way from Vietnam to Korean, so that order will be switched. They are pretty much in a row with Lincoln in the middle.

You shouldn't have a problem getting a taxi at the Cemetery, but you could always just metro back into the city too.

Good choice not to use the Tourmobile as transport. The memorials are not very far from each other.

BTW, I went to the WWII last weekend, and was very impressed. It is huge and makes you contemplate the war, and they did a great job, in my opinion.

Welcome to DC.

Karen
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:14 AM

an alternative (didn't see earlier posts) is to do nighttime trolley tour of monuments. there are some stops you get out at--forget the list but included Arlington, tho. it was beautiful--cool after day in sun, crowds--lights on everywhere, FDR was particularly beautiful in dark. Driver was corny, but interesting, there's a stop for champagne/cookies from concession at Kennedy Center. Although sort of expensive, it was a great evening's entertainment in DC.
Old May 15th, 2004, 02:22 PM

I ditto what Buck 1116 says about the nighttime trolly tour. It's a great overview of all the memorials and viewing them at night is spectacular. You don't get a whole lot of time at each memorial, so you'll want to go back for strolling around each memorial. I suggest doing the nighttime trolly tour your first evening in D.C. Then go back the next day to visit them again. The only place you can catch the evening trolly is from Union Station. The trolly stops at Iwo Jima Memorial, FDR Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Veteran's Memorial and the Korean Water Memorial (especially beautiful at night). They've probably added the WWII Memorial, too. It's a 2.5 hour tour. Also, it says you must make advance reservations between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The number is (202) 832-9800. I did this tour a couple of years ago. I'm going back this fall and taking my mom, two aunts and uncle (a WWII veteran). You can visit their website at www.historictours.com. I believe it's called "Monuments by Moonlight". Tickets are $28.00 per person, but I believe you can purchase them online for $25.50. Enjoy!
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Your plan is perfect. Taxis will be available from Arlington Cemetary. I suggest you DO taxi ($7) to the Jefferson Memorial - after all you've just saved $70 by skipping the tourmobile. There are no subway staions near any of the Memorials on the DC side of the river. The order of your plan is well thought out and you'll minimize walking distances.

One side note: bring a backpack w/ food & water and plan to picnic in the green spaces between the Memorials. The snack stands are few and far between and the food options are limited, overpriced and of very poor quality.
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Well, I think the order is backwards. Here is what I would suggest:
1) take Metro from Foggy Bottom to Arlington Cemetery
2) Metro back to Smithsonian
3) see memorials:
Washington
WWII
VVN
Korean War
Lincoln
FDR
Jefferson
4) taxi back to hotel at end of day
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

That certainly is an option. How hard is it to find a taxi at the Jefferson Memorial?
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Your best bet would be to have the taxi to the Jefferson Memorial wait for you; visiting the memorial doesn't take all that long, and that way you could be sure of having transportation when you're done.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM

I'm not sure about your reference to "a little walking." Going around the tidal basin to see all the memorials is a fair hike.

When we were at the Roosevelt Memorial we noticed that people were renting electric "carts" (the 3-wheel variety; I know there's a name for them but can't remember off hand) to drive all around. I don't know where you get them, or how far you can take them from the rental station, but they would be a great way to get around along the path that runs down by the water.