Walking the Brooklyn Bridge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone seems to be recommending the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan and the subsequent good eats. Might seem silly question, but humour a naive Brit, where do we start from and how do we get there...subway?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, also meant to add - when is the best time to do this? We arrive in NY Sunday lunchtime and leave Wednesday early morning. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:23 AM

I just attempted to top an old post for you, but somehow it didn't work - I might try again. In any case - if you search "brooklyn bridge" on this site, you'll get pages and pages of advice. I found the best directions under a post headed "walking the Brooklyn Bridge" - the poster's name is Suzanne. I printed those directions out and we used them when we were there in October last year - they were simple to follow and accurate.
As most people suggest, it's best to take the subway to the Brooklyn side and then walk back towards Manhattan. We did it in the late afternoon; we went to Grimaldi's Pizza for lunch (in Brooklyn) and since it's known to be very crowded we aimed for a slightly off-peak time - 2 PM or a bit later. That worked out well and once fortified we did our bridge walk. We loved it and we'd highly recommend it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:24 AM

Looks like I was able to top it after all. Have a look - it's a few posts down from this one.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:43 AM

As soon as you walk into Manhatten, go two blocks to Jeremy's Ale House at 228 Front St.
Great seafood at unbelievably low (especially fo NYC) prices.
http://www.jeremysalehouse.com/

To get there you could taxi or take the A or C subway to the High Street Station:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

http://www.mapblast.com/(g2bbg02rxou...c+NY+11201|L1|

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Hello, me again. I've just followed Meesthare's suggestions (thank you) and read several similar threads. Also have just realised that Grimaldis, ice cream factory, etc are on the BROOKLYN side - for some reason I thought they were Manhattan side! Thank goodness for Fodors (yet again!)
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

Yes - they're on the Brooklyn side. Grimaldi's was delicious - it's the best pizza I've ever had, with the exception of home-made - which my sweetie is doing for us tonight, now that I think of it - yay!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM

Just wanted to agree with other posters--take the subway to Brooklyn and then walk back over to Manhattan. If you want to eat at Grimaldi's (it's SO GOOD!), you'll need to go to Old Fulton Street, which is under the bridge. I'm not very good with directions, so maybe someone else can tell you which way to go when you come out of the subway station. The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory is also easy to find when you come out of Grimaldi's--just walk towards the water and it's right on the dock where the water taxis are and also next to the River Cafe.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:11 AM

The Brooklyn Ice Factory is closed on Mondays - unfortunately I didn't find out until we were there.