Wailea Beach Logistics/Restaurant Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! DH and I will @ Sheraton Maui 2/16 - 2/23. I have asked several questions regarding our trip with success, so here is another question regarding logistics. We'd love to drive to Wailea to check out the beach and the restaurant scene for the day. Where is the best place to park once we get to Wailea? Assuming we'd like to change for dinner, are the facilities at the beach sufficient? We'd like to eat at a great restaurant - Ferraros or Capische? are at the top of our list. Any other recommendations for activities that are close by in Wailea - perhaps some shopping? I'd like to park just once, enjoy the beach, change at the beach/shower facilites, and then head to dinner/shopping - is this possible?

Also, at the Sheraton Maui, are we going to pay for beach chairs? I know, I know, I'm not going to quibble over dollars when we're in paradise, but DH will, so I just want to prepare him ahead of time....Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM

We'll there really is not Wailea beach per se...you have to access that particular stretch of beach from one of the many luxury resorts situated there. Having said that you, you can likely park at the Shops at Wailea and walk down the the shore from there. No public facilities on the beach...but I'm sure you can change clothes in the public bathroom at the Shops? Don't stress...everything on Maui is accessible and an easy drive.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, IMC for your response! We will park @ the Shops and walk to the beach from there. Also, we can return to the shops when we're done to "prep" for dinner. Perhaps I'll just throw on a straw hat and call it a night! Thanks again!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:17 AM
jd

You do have to pay for beach chairs, although I can't remember how much. We sat by the pool most of the time, which has an ocean view. There are a couple of nice private spots by the pool that have a couple of thatched umbrellas, right in front of the waterfall.You have to grab these spots pretty early.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM

There is public beach access for Wailea Beach, with a parking lot. I'm not sure where exactly it is, I do know it's on the side closest to the Fairmont (where we stayed, which is not on Wailea Beach). Anyway, we parked there and I do remember using outdoor showers. I do not remember if there was a bathroom there.

I'm sure there is someone more knowledgeable about this area than me, that could fill you in.

Just to let you know that there is another option besides the shops.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM

The parking is free...it is located about 1/4 mile past the shops on the right hand side....there are not a lot of spots, so you might end up at the mall. You then follow a trail to the beach. There is also public restrooms there as well (quite dirty considering it is part of this resort I might add), but I don't remember seeing showers.

The beach in my opinion is not very impressive....I thought it looked man made?

As for the food at the mall....we ate at several (wish I could remember the names...they were local) and the food was Macaroni Grill quality.

THere is a Ruth Chris...but I just dont know why anyone would want to eat there, unless of course you do not have a Ruth Chris back home.

The shops are just your normal outlet type mall like in every city in the US....except for one or two local unique shops.

I'm sorry but for us it was not a good experience.

We did the whole Island except for the Kapalua area.....I don't know if missing that made the difference in our experience of Maui....if anyone thinks so, let me know, and meaby I will think about a day trip in the future to check out what we missed if Kapalua is where all the action is.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:02 AM

There are a series of five crescent shaped beaches forming the shore at Wailea, from Keawakapu at the northern tip to Polo Beach at the border with Makena. Most visitors find those impressive displays of natural beauty. Some of the very best snorkel and swimming areas are along that stretch. Big Beach at Makena, just south, is 2/3 mile long and 100 yards wide in places. Little Beach, a climb, has its own draw: al fresco bathing, some natural beauty, some man-made.

There are several points of public access along that stretch, as well as parking at Keawakapu (in front of the Mana Kai) and Ulua, and public facilities of varying qualities sprinkled about.

The Shops at Wailea is a high end center, not an outlet mall, featuring, among others, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Gucci, Fendi and several art galleries. The restaurants at the Shops are not world class. Shopsatwailea.com.

Capische? is a highly regarded restaurant at the Diamond Resort, on a hill at the southern end of Wailea. It would be a hike from the beach below, Polo. There is parking at the hotel.

There is very limited "action" at Kapalua (in northwest Maui), home of the Ritz Carlton, besides golf.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM

mark99,

What area are you describing?

-Bill
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM

Bill:

The description above almost certainly is intended to refer to Wailea: there is a Ruth's Chris in the "Shops At Wailea," the shopping center named. There's also a Ruth's Chris in Lahaina, though no beach of which to speak.

I dissent from Mark99's characterization of the area.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Ag3046

mark99 has predictably negative comments that aren't valid, in my opinion. The Shops at Wailea are quite upscale. It is not an outlet mall. Honestly, it sounds as if mark99 has never been there and is just making all this up. The beaches along south Maui are quite certainly natural. I think the beach at the Maui Prince is just one of the nicest around anywhere.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM

Dear AG3046

I think it is quite condesending to accuse someone of "making this all up" and saying that I am "negative".

My analysis sir is MY review of what I experienced, based on my observations, my personal likes and dislikes....not everyone is like YOU, and I do not expect everyone to be like ME.

My review is simply to give others something to think about, before they INVEST THOUSANDS of dollars on their vacation.

I have greatly appreciated over the years information provided by others on this board...both positive and negative. Both + and - views has allowed me to build trips precisely to my style of vacation by analyzing these.

The positive reviews are JUST as important as the NEGATIVE views!

Luckily I split my trip and returned to the Royal Hawaiin in Waikkiki where we greatly enjoyed the remainder of our annual Oahu vacation.

And to call the shops "quite upscale" speaks for itself.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

Mark99, the Shops at Wailea are NOT outlet mall-type shops. Are you sure you went to Maui? From your description, I think you were on the mainland.

There are a few different parking areas for the beaches at Wailea. The shops parking area would be good and so would Polo Beach.

Since you want to dine at Ferraro's, you ought to make spa reservations at the Four Seasons. You could then park there, use their beach, have your spa treatments and get ready for dinner in their locker rooms. You could also walk to the shops at Wailea from the Four Seasons.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM

I live in Bal Harbour, Florida....come by for a glass of wine sometime and I'll show you what an upscale mall looks like.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

No thanks...if I want to go somewhere just for the purpose of shopping, it will be NYC or Paris, certainly not backwater, Florida.