Waikoloa Hilton/Kona information request

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waikoloa Hilton/Kona information request

Hi, is there anyone who has spent a vacation at the Hilton waikoloa on Big Island? I need some informations about it. I found a good room rate but it's flat, just the room. I am wondering if this means that they are going to make us pay a fortune on breakfasts, food, beverages, etc. Are the restaurants expensive at the hotel? What about breakfast? would you suggest to find a package with the breakfast included? I found one but it's only for two adults and we have a kid who has to pay on site. Please let me know!And what about the services? what is included in the room rate and what is apart?
Thanks
Milli
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM

The Hilton Waikoloa is not an all inclusive, so yes, you will have to pay additionally for meals.

Like all resorts, the dining options are more expensive on property than off. However, the entire Waikoloa resort area is expensive. You might find slightly less expensive dining options at the nearby King's Shops.

Included in the room rate is use of the pools, transportation by tram/boat to your rooms (if you don't want to walk). Not sure if the exercise room is an extra charge. Rental of snorkel equipment, paddle boats, kayaks, etc. is extra. Participation in the Dolphin Quest program is extra. Self parking is free, valet has a charge.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Fortunately, you can decide for yourself if the restaurants are $-) (e.g., link: http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com.../donatonis.asp)

What Kona info. is being requested
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM

<<I am wondering if this means that they are going to make us pay a fortune on breakfasts, food, beverages, etc.>>

I am confused by this statement. What exactly are you looking for? Yes, meals at the resort hotels are expensive, but you don't need to eat all your meals onsite. We stayed at the Marriott next to the Hilton and the breakfast buffet was only included for two - pretty standard I think. I think we ended up spending around $40 for our two kids every morning. Drinks ordered around the pool were in the $10 range. We ate our other meals elsewhere. There is a Subway in the King's Shops if you just want to grab an inexpensive bite. It is also easy to stock up on snacks and drink mixes bought at the King's Shops. Nobody can make you pay a fortune. You may want to consider a condo if you want to cut back on food expenses.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM

We were also at the Marriott (in March) but went to breakfast at the Hilton in their buffet restaurant. The food was mediocre at best, and the birds were horrendous, poop everywhere and they were pecking at anything in the buffet they could. Just disgusting. The staff seemed rather non chanlant(sp?) about it. The price was in the 80 dollar range for 2 adults/2 children. We also had lunch one day when my kids did the Dolphin Quest. It was ok, again nothing notable food wise and average resort prices.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:33 PM

We have stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa twice and enjoyed both stays. If you have an opportunity to upgrade for a modest price, to the concierge level, there is a very nice continental breakfast in the morning, snacks in the afternoon and appetizers in the evening. Part of the enjoyment of Hawaii is leaving the resort, experiencing other restaurants and sights. We love Cafe Pesto, 20 minutes or so up the road heading north. You can also go into Kona. The King Shops have Roys, a steak place, subway, etc.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM

ohanaman-

How were you able to sign up for the Dolphin Quest without staying at the Hilton? I thought it was just for the Hilton guests only, but I've never stayed at the neighboring properties, so I don't know.

Are the Hilton guests given priority or are all the people requesting the Dolphin Quest have an equal chance of getting a spot?

The last couple of times we were there you put your card in for a lottery system, since the demand outweighed the number of spaces available.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Never mind - I found the Dolphin Quest website. You can make reservations online in advance.

Good to know - I've always just thought you were subject to the lottery system when you checked in.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM

The Hilton has lots of restaurants to choose from. Are they expensive? No more so than other hotel restaurants. We felt the prices were fairly reasonable. I rarely order room service because it's so darn expensive, but we did twice during our stay. The chicken curry was one of the best meals of the trip. In fact, I would love to be back there right now for more of it.

I travel with a soft-sided cooler so I can have cool drinks in the room and usually have breakfast bars, etc. for breakfast in the room.

Typical hotel services. One nice thing was the quieter, adult pool if you wanted to get away from the craziness (and noise) of the kids.
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Aloha. We've stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa a few times and like it very much. The "flat rate" works for us....we're not tied to any activities or meals. The breakfast buffet is very good at the Hilton, has lots of choices and costs -- last time I looked -- $26 per person not including tax and tip. That's a hefty amount but comparable to the other big resorts near-by.

There are other restaurants on site...the Boat Landing is reasonably priced the food is good. We haven't liked the food at the Lagoon Grille but it's next to the dolphin pool and fun to watch what goes on there.

Dinner at the Kona Provision Company is very good, especially if you get an outside table. Even better...go at sunset. Again, not more expensive than other good restaurants.

In the vicinity of the Hilton we enjoy Pahu I'a at the Four Seasons, Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont Orchid and the Bay Terrace (for breakfast) at the Mauna Lani Bay. Brown's also has a deli that's somewhat less expensive.

To keep costs and calories down we do just a few breakfast buffets per trip, go to the Subway at Kings shops as someone else suggested, buy yogurt & fruit at the grocery in Waikoloa, and find some mid-range restaurants as we travel around the island.

In terms of things included with your room rate, essentially you get the room. The spa is extra and valet parking will set you back a whopping $14.50 per day (self-parking is free, and that's what we do). As far as I know there isn't a daily resort fee on top of the room rate.

You didn't ask about pools but I'll mention that the pools at the Hilton are terrific.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
HI Milli, we just got back!!We went over spring break and the Hilton was great! I agree with the Kahula Provision Co restaurant on property. The food was excellent. It is primarily seafood. We had seafood one evening, but the other, we had the filet mignon and it was to die for, very tender and delicious. Another good restaurant on property is Donatoni's (I think that was the name). It is italian and I had the best osso bucco(I know I did not spell that correctly). It is a veal chop and it was so tender.
The food was excellent in the restaurants. The casual places were okay. The hamburgers were pretty good. The drinks are costly. I loved the Lava flow. There is barely any alcohol, but they were yummy and about 10 dollars each. Pricey. You can easily pick up a six pack or a bottle of rum or something to keep in your room. I figure I am on vacation and enjoyed my Lava flows
We did not have the breakfast because we are hilton honors members and had the free continental breakfast each day. There is fresh fruit, cereal and bagels and danishes. You can probably get that if you upgrade. I am not sure if that would be worth it or not.
We loved the Hilton and would definitely return. It is a huge complex and the pools are fun. The lagoon has turtles swimming around you. The lagoon beach is small and gets crowded early. There are many rude people that put their towels down and disappeared for the rest of the day. Right before Easter, the resort got very crowded and the beach was like being at the Jersey shore on the fourth of July. We left and went to the pool. I am sure it is not like that all the time.
Near by is Hapuna beach which is great for boogie boarding. (about 10 min north). Next to the Marriott next door is a public beach which is also nice.
In Kona, we went to a beach with a zillion turtles and very colorful fish. The locals call it turtle beach and it has grey-black sand and is rocky. It has a formal name with a K.
We really liked the Hilton and it was a wonderful vacation for our family.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:22 PM

We've stayed twice at the Hilton and will be returning in October. Some people don't like the size: we love the size. We have a lot of choices for pools and food. No, food isn't cheap, but this IS Hawaii, and a resort. Look elsewhere if you are looking for a bargain. If you are really concerned about the cost of food you might consider bringing your own coffee and use the coffee maker in the room, get stuff at a grocery store..and splurge on one nice meal a day or something.

I like the fact that I have to walk far, it helps me burn off those cocktails by the pool!! The artwork is amazing, the grounds are beautiful.
If it is a "flat rate" what services are you asking about in the rate? It's just the room.
Just as someone else mentioned, we bought drinks at the small store in the Kings shop, and used a soft side cooler purchased at Walmart in Kona. Saves a TON of money.
I would skip the buffet, it was way too much food, and the birds were so annoying. The waitress are very rude and I would never eat there again.

To sum it up:
The Hilton is great, it is big.
Yes, food is expensive.

I still love it!
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM
trippinkpj

The Waikaloa resort area is not for me. I guess I'm more the B&B or Condo in south kona type...