Search

Maui or Big Island? Need Advice, please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui or Big Island? Need Advice, please

Hey everyone,
I'm single in my early 30s and am thinking of spending a week on either Maui or the Big Island in early. Basically, I'm looking for an escape. But I also want some sightseeing and nightlife, although I'm not looking to stay at the clubs 'til 3 a.m. by any stretch. It seems like I would get more bang for my hotel buck on the Big Island. In Maui, it looks like my budget would allow me to stay somewhere like the Royal Lahaina Resort. On the Big Island, I would be looking at the Sheraton Keohou, Marriott Waikoloa, Hilton Waikoloa or, if I wanted to save money, the Outrigger Waikoloa. You thoughts on these places? On Maui vs. Big Island? I appreciate any feedback.

p.s.: I've been to Waikiki and loved it, but want to try someplace else this time.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:37 AM

You could consider island hopping. If your budget allows, you could split your time between the two islands.
My first choice would definatly be Maui.
We went to a luau at the Royal Lahaina.
If you stay there, I would not miss that experience.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM
trippinkpj

I would pick Maui first, and Royal Lahaina is in a great spot. If you do go to the BI, Kona or South of Kona would be best. If you're into coffee I can give you some tips.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 01:37 PM
trippinkpj

I stayed near the Hilton and Outrigger Waikoloa, at the Bay Club (now a Hilton GV resort). I personally like the Kona and south of Kona area better. If your into lounching by the pool and a large resort area, you'll like it. The hubby and I are more B&B/ eclectic B&B type people.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM

hi-I live in honolulu and I've stayed at the sheraton keahou and didn't love it-the location or the facilities. I think both islands have lots to do and see and you can drive ALOT on both islands to see things. Maui may be more fun for you-you can even take a day sail to lanai. Lahaina has more night life than the big island, and I've heard the luau at your hotel choice is THE BEST.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Maui offers the most variety at the best price, without having to drive long distances. We were on the Big Island just this year staying in the Keauhou area. The Sheraton is isolated-
no shops or other resorts within walking distance. It is a long, slow drive into Kona with terrible traffic- much worse than anything I've ever experienced on any of the other islands.
Personally, I don't care for the Waikoloa area. It's very sterile and just seems like a bit of slick, manicured So. Cal. My next trip will be back to Maui. Although I flirt with the other islands, it still holds my heart for the best mix of scenery, beaches, entertainment and...if I'm in the mood..shopping.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Still haven't made up my mind. Staying at the Outrigger Keohou would cost about $600 less than at the Royal Lahaina resort. With that in mind, is Maui worth the extra money?
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
trippinkpj

Well, you can stay in other places on Maui. Check tripadvisor.com for hotels on Maui in the prace range you got for the Outrigger. Check out the Lahaina Shores condo complex. There are also some nice places in Napili north of Lahaina. I've seen positive posts on One Napili Point: www.napili.com.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the feedback. Maui, it is. Booked a room at the Royal Lahaina. The first week of August can't come soon enough.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:07 PM

I would suggest Maui because of the beaches. Kulakane conodos are a great place to stay for the price. Nothing fancy but nice and clean and ocean front. NOT ocean view. You are right on the ocean! You are close to most areas.
Mahalo,
Have a good time whatever you choose.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM

I've only been to the Big Island (three times)...There isn't alot of nightlife on the Big Island at the resorts. You might get a little bored if that is what you are looking for.

The Sheraton on the BI is really far from downtown Kona. And the hotels up in Waikaloa really are very quiet after 9pm...I think they roll up the sidewalks with the beach mats. The Hilton is DEAD after 9. We couldn't believe it! We just sat on our balcony and made cocktails.

I haven't been to Maui, but I have read that Lahina has restaurants and bars that are all within walking distance of each other. Can anyone add to that?

Has anyone club hopped on any islands?

There is a bar in Kona called LuLu's that I heard gets busy, but it's about 10 miles from that Sheraton Keauhou.
Also, Huggos on the Beach looked fun, and is across the street from LuLu's,
and a Hard Rock Cafe.
Kona Brewing Company has some great beers, great pizza and was a nice place to hang out.

AND, this is important! On the Big Island they keep the streets kind of dark because of the observatories. The roads are narrow and dark. If you are out drinking, you really don't want to be driving back to a hotel.

FYI, Kona is about 30-40 min drive from the resorts up in Waikaloa.

Which ever you chose, you will love Hawaii...it gets in your blood...

Have fun!